Shop Forum More Submit  Join Login

Details

May 16
Link

Statistics

Replies: 304

What's your biggest pet peeve as an artist?

:icondanlev:
danlev Featured By Owner May 16, 2018
Overly-photoshopped portraits, giant watermarks, fake lens flairs, clients who want you to work for "exposure"...

What's something that really irritates you as an artist?

Angry

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconamalaazula:
AmalaAzula Featured By Owner Aug 9, 2018   Digital Artist
Overanalyzing my own artwork to the point that it takes hours upon hours redrawing one little mistake I've found. Then the whole thing gets redrawn. Lol.

I'm trying not to do it too much. I'd drive myself crazy otherwise.
:iconreverendphantom:
ReverendPhantom Featured By Owner Aug 9, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
When you give someone free art and upon every update they tell you to change something that because of your own personal art style, it’s near impossible to go back and change at that point. 

Also so when the change they want will look horrible, you tell them it’ll look bad, but they whine anyway so you do it. Then when you show it to them they say “you were right it’s bad” 😭
:iconink-slasher:
Ink-Slasher Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2018  New Deviant Student Traditional Artist
Being told artists don't contribute to society when they ACTUALLY do!
:iconmr-pink-rose:
Mr-Pink-Rose Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2018
People who make art requests I find too disgusting...and I'm reluctantly giving you an example: Gmaster23 requesting I draw Ash Ketchum's mother from Pokémon shaving her hairy pussy.
:iconcreonalia:
Creonalia Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Everytime my colored pencils break. DARN YOU PRISMACOLOR WHAT HAPPEN? THESE USED TO BE NICE PENCILS! 
Here, this is a months worth
Prismacolors by Creonalia  
:iconhezzachan:
hezzachan Featured By Owner Edited Aug 5, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
I know how you feel my dude! My red erasable Prismacolor pencil breaks sometimes after I sharpen it...it gets, me upset sometimes.
:iconcreonalia:
Creonalia Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
They make eraseable ones?
hezzachan Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
Yeah they do, I think for all colors. I own red, blue , purple and yellow. You can order it on amazon
:iconnsane99:
Nsane99 Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2018  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mine would be when you get a good idea of what to make, and then being completely incapable of making what you had in mind despite how you try to approach it.
:iconjacobdawolf1012:
JacobdaWolf1012 Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2018  Student Traditional Artist
i have to be a perfectionist, it has really stop me from improving on my digital art skills
:iconchasitythewolf:
chasitythewolf Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2018  Student Traditional Artist
People who get pissed at new artists for “stealing their art style”. They’re learning, you need to leave them the hell alone so they can develop their own style! Of course give them tips and critique/criticism, but don’t be an asshole about it. I also hate people who call themselves art critiques who spread ignorance, saying that “oh it’s the internet they should get used to people saying bad things about their art”. That’s just an excuse for someone to be an asshole. Idk if your criticism is harsh, but don’t just tell them “lol your art sucks” then expect them to just accept that. I’ve been doing art for three years now, so I’m a bit better at responding to this stuff, but you get artists can’t! We need to give them support and help with necessary. Rant over :P
:iconnysdehkidr5:
NYSdehkidR5 Featured By Owner Jul 16, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Le me: *Draws*

Le some random person: Hey, that's pretty cool!

Le me: Thanks

Le some random person: Can you draw me?

Le me: Stare 
:iconnottheedgey:
NottheEdgey Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2018  New Deviant Hobbyist Traditional Artist
When I make the sketch, it looks like it has potential. 

But when I start drawing the line art..... :no:
:iconmiminaa-chan:
miminaa-chan Featured By Owner Jul 16, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Omg same
:icontitanium-metal-alloy:
Titanium-Metal-Alloy Featured By Owner Edited Jul 15, 2018  Student Digital Artist
My pet-peeve would be people who are overprotective over their own art or those who preach what they don't sow.

I've met a number of people within the past 8 years who fit into this category, and when I see these people, I try not to approach them. There's no way I can communicate with them if they are going to be like that. Though, I try to have a moderate judgement when I come in contact with them for the first time.

It's not fair to judge someone without getting to know them first. ;)
:iconmichelesthird:
Michelesthird Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
realizing i am not really one
:icongabrieletheman0:
Gabrieletheman0 Featured By Owner Jul 10, 2018
I don't know
:iconbackwaterxperts:
BackwaterXperts Featured By Owner Jul 9, 2018  Hobbyist
When I have an amazing image in my head and all that comes out on the screen when I try to draw it is a pile of shit. Sigh...
hezzachan Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
THIS^^^^^^^
:iconnysdehkidr5:
NYSdehkidR5 Featured By Owner Jul 16, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Too true Waaaah! Waaaah! Waaaah!

Imagination can be bigger than current talent :( 
BackwaterXperts Featured By Owner Jul 16, 2018  Hobbyist
Always the case for me. Some people complain they have art block but I personally have never had it. Just skill block :(
:iconinternetfreak14:
internetfreak14 Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
THIS
BackwaterXperts Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2018  Hobbyist
*nods* :(
:iconabrigedfoamy:
Abrigedfoamy Featured By Owner Jul 9, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
When you go to erase, and your hand slips causing the paper to crumple up. Let alone if the paper just rips, leaving a massive hole in your drawing.
:iconpsuedonoms:
Psuedonoms Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I really hate that too. Especially after spending a long time on a drawing. 
:iconpilulu:
Pilulu Featured By Owner Jul 9, 2018  Student Traditional Artist
People that ask you to view their art when giving feedback
:icondaphne-brown:
Daphne-Brown Featured By Owner Jul 10, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
AARRGH That SUCKS so much!! I can't STAND those people! :rage:
:icon707fangirl:
707Fangirl Featured By Owner Edited Jul 9, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I have a lot of things but my biggest pet peeves are people asking if I do requests, commissions, art trade, collab, YCH, Gift art, tags or draw the squad, people asking why they’re closed permanently or people just put a request even though they can go ask someone else to do it.
:iconkurozakura-es69:
Kurozakura-es69 Featured By Owner Edited Jul 3, 2018  Professional General Artist
That I'm not taken seriously as an artist, and critics discredit me by taking me for either a "sex offender" or "some racist and sexist White man".

:tears:
:iconkurozakura-es69:
Kurozakura-es69 Featured By Owner Jun 19, 2018  Professional General Artist
Getting discredited by critics who see your work as that of some imaginary pervert, whom they hate. >:(
:iconofnir-1:
Ofnir-1 Featured By Owner Jun 16, 2018  Hobbyist Photographer
Overly weathered builds. Bleh, especially overly weathered aircraft. 
:iconrichqueso:
RichQueso Featured By Owner Jul 9, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You mean drawing/designing aircraft which are too dirtied?
Ofnir-1 Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2018  Hobbyist Photographer
Overweathered aircraft builds. Aircraft DO get dirty, some get more beaten than the others but not to a point where it looks like it was bathed in almost everything on MiG AMMO's catalogue. 
Ofnir-1 Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2018  Hobbyist Photographer
Nope. Building and overweathering it... it hurts my eyes to see one get weathered as if it were a tank 
:iconnovaprospektz:
novaprospektz Featured By Owner Edited Jun 16, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
Giant Watermark and Overly-photoshopped portrait is very irritated.
 "So, don't be careless"
:iconmetalk9:
MetalK9 Featured By Owner Jun 13, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My biggest one would be the art of which artist are generally tolerant to his fatal flaws (not careful with his character formation, throw lines carelessly, etc).

In other words, a rushed picture to upload it to site quickly to get his dose of praise.

I know because I am guilty of this as well and realized how much of a snot I used to be back then. Although I stopped drawing for a while, if I ever come back I will pay a respect to my own crafts and prioritize quality.
:iconstarsketchmeh:
StarSketchMEH Featured By Owner Jun 13, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
- When Drawing multiple charters, I draw one really good but the others look bad by comparison.
- Drawing hands and feet
- When artist's use giant, high opacity watermarks.  (especially the ones that have "do not steal" on it.)  It's really distracting.
- When a stranger asks me to draw them for free in real life, and i have to be nice and say yes.
- When my friends call my art "cringe" or "edgy" even though there are a lot of things out there that are much worse.
- Self entitled artists that accuse others of stealing their style, pose, charter, and other rediclous things.
- When artists view criticism as an attack.  and/or is very sensitive and has a fit over one person saying bad things about them or their art.

- Basically self entitled artists in general.

-This happens to me sometimes.  Is when someone posts commissions, or anything that relates to the artist drawing something for others.  I read the rules right after it's posted and I note or comment, and i completely get ignored.  Other people after me get theirs done, and the artist never replies to me.
I know if this sounds like i'm whining, and i i'm not that angry actually, but this happens to me many times for me to get peeved.
:iconviolet-rose111622:
violet-rose111622 Featured By Owner Jun 13, 2018
when I do good on the right side but then the left side looks like something out of a horror movie
:iconghoulers777:
ghoulers777 Featured By Owner Jun 10, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
- When i can't draw one thing (Like hands for example) properly but can draw everything else pretty nicely.
- When people get upset when i refuse to work for "exposure" or on "Passion projects."
- When i draw characters nicely but draw backgrounds horribly.
Also, when people argue with me when i refuse to listen to their Unsolicited, unhelpful "Advice" on how to improve my art.
:iconhollyunderwood:
HollyUnderwood Featured By Owner Edited Jun 10, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
well... when i did abstract work, the thing i hated most was people saying "i could do that"... but when it comes to the digital work, no1 says that.

thing is, most people don't know the abstract work is harder lol
:iconlegacy-galaxy:
Legacy-Galaxy Featured By Owner Edited Jun 10, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
When I miss a fill spot. It bugs me enough when the fill spot is tiny, only around one pixel, but when it's particularly large, for example, the entire exposed leg from the pants to the shoe... Oooooohhhh boy!!

Oh yes! Also, when someone assumes that someone is doing an old dance from long ago when she's just sitting on a bed, or, more jarringly, thinking that two characters stated to be siblings are in fact lovers!
:iconmiminaa-chan:
miminaa-chan Featured By Owner Jun 4, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Can you give me this drawing ? You have to draw something for me ! Let me see your sketchbook ! 
:iconvanna2005:
Vanna2005 Featured By Owner Jun 3, 2018  Student Artist
losing my tablet pen, losing my pencils, having art block, wanting to draw but body's not up to it, i can go on all day but these are my top.
:icongivememusic:
GiveMeMusic Featured By Owner May 31, 2018  Student Artist
Art block, happens every time I have days off and can actually make something. Rage 
:iconscratzilla:
scratzilla Featured By Owner May 30, 2018
Biggest Pev.. is when the art work is judged by the artist and not the art work. EG; if a photograph has a famous photographers name attached to it  it is automatically judged as an awesome piece of work.

Art should be judged on its merits and not how well known or famous the creator is .  Great art can go unnoticed or merited because the person who created it is not part of the "IN" crown/scene. 

same as for food ... because it is run by or visited by famous people the restaurant must be good.

any hows.. that my 2 cents worth on this topic.    just because you are not well known or famous your art could be just as wonderful as the best in the world , it just a matter of a name attached to it.
:iconandyvrenditions:
AndyVRenditions Featured By Owner May 29, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
bad lighting. I have become so picky about the way that a piece is displayed by its lighting settings.. needs to have uniform brightness & contrast lol
:iconthegalleryofeve:
TheGalleryOfEve Featured By Owner May 28, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
There's one thing that rrrrreally irritates me as an artist; well, two, actually :grump:

The first one makes me feel bad for even saying it out loud :ashamed: but well, it is what it is :giggle: Anyway :blushes: I just have lots of discouraging feelings whenever I see one of those art pieces who get sold in the six figure range of prices, and all you see is something that looks as if a first grader put it together with some finger-painting technique :matteo: I can't wrap my head around that, and I try to put all jealousy aside, but it's not always possible :ashamed: :blushes:

The second thing :iconblankstareplz: is when my own family decides to "hire" me probono (note the quote marks on the word "hire" :stare:) ... And it's usually to design a logo with all their stationary variations :iconevestareplz: With like 3 or 4 FREE "corrections" ("corrections" usually involve changing their mind about what they wanted initially, and then keep changing their mind until their heart is content :matteo:) Angry

Yeah, I think that the second thing bothers me even more than the first one!!! :icontantrumplz: :giggle::iconhurrplz:
:iconorgunis:
Orgunis Featured By Owner May 26, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"Giant watermarks" *looks at deviantart's own watermark* No comments :lol:

I'd say people annoying me for requests but I'll go with 'realizing certain body parts are out of proportion way too late'
:iconsockhiddenunderarook:
sockhiddenunderarook Featured By Owner May 29, 2018  Hobbyist Photographer
Hahaha. I’m too lazy to make my own watermark though :v 
Add a Comment: