Shop Forum More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 11
Link

Statistics

Replies: 263

Do you believe in the supernatural/ paranormal?

:iconchaseawaythedark:
chaseawaythedark Featured By Owner Edited Feb 11, 2018  Student Writer
Y'know, stuff like ghosts and poltergeists and angels and demons and psychics and those other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

- Do you believe they exist? Why or why not?
- Have you had any ghostly encounters? Describe them if you have.
- Would you like to have a supernatural/ paranormal encounter?

You don't have to answer those questions; they're just food for thought.

Personally, I believe in all the above. I believe there are ghosts and angels and demons and psychics. I've never had an up close ghostly encounter but they sound fun (unless itit's a malevolent spirit. Then no thank you)

Oh yeah, forgot about this stuff: What about forces such as karma or fate, superstition and destiny? Astral projection? The afterlife?

This stuff really intrigues me so I'm interested about what you guys think

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconguydue123:
guydue123 Featured By Owner Edited Feb 15, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Spirits, ghouls, goblins, demons, interdimensional invaders, succubi, incubi, brain sucklers, dimensional shamblers, dimensional ramblers, Great Old Ones, Old Ones, etc, etc, and the list just goes on. They all are here, and I meet them
all the time. But I don’t believe there is “fate” or any kind of predetermination.
chaseawaythedark Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2018  Student Writer
Interesting :nod:
:iconlaka885:
laka885 Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I believe in angels, ghosts, demons, vampires, whitchs, ... They really exists. Don't ask me why I know them.
chaseawaythedark Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2018  Student Writer
Coolio :D
:icontheroomofmelian:
theroomofmelian Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
Lawrence: They exist because people believe in them. When people stop believing them, they are collected into mythology, but continue to be revered as folklore artifacts and narrative tools. Whenever my conduit thinks about what became of the Greek Gods, this always comes to mind that if confronted with the question of whether he believes in God or not, he can neither say yes or no. Because back then, the Pantheon was the most advanced idea the Greeks adhered to until Christianity came along. Now Christianity is being phased out. Islam is being phased out. Judaism is being phased out. Not completely, but it'll feel as if there weren't even here.

This is all happening in the western world. Why do I think so? If you ask me, a significant part of this change lies in the fact that people are far more engrossed in the fantasy of superheroes. A superhero like Superman branched out from Jewish elements, but now look at where he is today. The tag line for the first Injustice video game is "Gods Among Us". It's fascinating to think about because it continues to be about the idea or ideas, and the changing face of it. Even omnipotence needs thoughts to be put into it.

To my conduit, Gods are like Mary Sues. They're so perfect it drives people to tears, and makes them feel weak. No likes Mary Sues. And today, no one wants to feel weak. Gods lack something which is crucial to Superheroes, and those are flaws. Gods are perfection. But the lack of flaws means the belief people have in them are short lived. Superheroes were created to inspire and drive people, and flaws allow people to feel closer to them to the point where people are one with the symbols they look to.

Symbols and concepts of the supernatural and paranormal which have disappeared are being immortalized and adapted to fit in the modern era. They're real, but not like the way you choose to believe. They were all created to illustrate a point. They can be modular, and deconstructed, then put together into a completely new idea no one has ever thought of before. Even our ideas and interpretation of the afterlife is so challenged that what we once thought of as Heaven or Hell isn't as pretty as some people once believed. The idea of those realms was to please or punish everyone. But the diversification of belief soon meant that people merely wanted those realms for themselves and their gain. You'll hear lots of frivolous claims being made by these people these days, and they often don't hold as much merit to to them as they did back then.

My conduit sees me and Amatea (the other person and fellow writer behind this account) as a Duality-based system of cyberspace marionettes. Much of his currently views and beliefs lie in Amatea, while I challenge those views and beliefs to search for any problems or issues they will eventually have. As such, my conduit considers himself a complete pragmatist. While he can't say whether or not he believes in the things you mentioned, he can confidently tell you that those ideas, in the form implied by your post, does not work.

If I fail to answer your question...I don't know, I think I may have gotten something else out of this that's far more meaningful than simply continuing the discussion of the topic. I think you chose a brilliant time to ask however. The overall landscape of human belief is drastically different compared to 10 years ago. No one imagined that in a small span of time, the world would flip itself upside down and now asks a different set of questions.
:iconfancybirdy:
fancybirdy Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2018   Traditional Artist
Great topic! Looove stuff like this. Let's see, I've definitely seen some things I can't explain, so I'm not sure what to categorize them as. Hazy figures and whatnot. Astral projection is so fun to learn about, and there are some great books out there on how to do it. If you're up for a bit of reading, check out Scott Rogo's book on how to project (Leaving The Body). It's a hoot!
chaseawaythedark Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2018  Student Writer
Ooh, sounds interesting! I might have to check that book out =P
:iconscte3:
SCTE3 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2018
I'm still somewhat split on it, have only had two unusual experiences where I grew up and two more since moving in with my roommates 3 years ago.
Ooh, cool!
First time, I was very little, opened the door to a room in the house (which I would eventually move into to have my own space) and heard a deep hyena like laughter for a few seconds. I closed the door and never opened it again for the next two years. Second time was after someone had recently passed away. I ended up getting woke up by 3 really loud claps and giant flashing circles appearing in the corner of my room near the ceiling. Not sure if that was supernatural or just the fact that it was still December when that happened.

Since moving in with my roommates, apparently there will be really rare occasions where their door slams shut. Has happened three times apparently but I have only heard it happen once.
Ooh, that's spooky
After reading a lot of creepypastas over the years (I had a phase I just liked reading them a lot), not as easily spooked these days. lol
Nothing truly scares me, either. Freaked out, yes, but not true fear
I have anxiety, so some things will always freak me out, lol.
Anxiety sucks :(
(1 Reply)
:iconlaka885:
laka885 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yes, i believe. I experienced it.
Cool!
:iconeyeballearth:
EyeballEarth Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't believe in it, but I sorta like reading and thinking about those things in a 'what if' way. I've had some weird experiences myself but nothing that's out of the realm of science I guess.
chaseawaythedark Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Student Writer
What-ifs are quite fun to explore :nod:
:iconprecipitous120:
Precipitous120 Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018
Me and my cousin were.... playing... with a ghost

I'm still not sure how to describe what it looked like but it was black and flying, it seemed to change shape constantly as it flew around us. Anyway we were just playing around and one of us made a sound which attracted this thing, then we noticed that by making different sounds this thing either circled around us or dived

It was interest... but nope I i don't want to do it again

It was moving really fast also.. you would think it would move slow for a ghost but this thing moved fast, could displace matter/air, made sounds and hmm yeah.

It was night but not too dark a night, else I'm guessing we wouldn't have seen it and probably wouldn't be walking around outside :D we were 6 and 7
Sounds fun!
:iconhappiestshadows:
HappiestShadows Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
I do believe in them cause I've seen them
I have had around 7-8 paranormal encounters in my life to describe them all in detail would take some time. But one moment I remember took place when I was around 9 years old a little girls voice asked me if I wanted to play *I was outside* I said yes I did being a trusting child and so the voice said to get in front of my parents car who were at the moment pulling out of the driveway, I refused and the voice turned demonic and told me to do it, I again refused and ran to tell my parents.
About a week later an exorcism was preformed on the house *as it turns out I was not the only one at the time experiencing od happenings*
and no I do not, I have seen enough in my life time
Dang, that sounds scary :o
:iconhappiestshadows:
HappiestShadows Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
Indeed it was terrifying
:iconbabyrc:
BabyRC Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
Yes I believe mostly because I have had paranormal experience. I don’t feel like typing out the whole story right now but if you really want to know I’ll share it. I would also love to have more of them.
ooh, fun o:
:iconbabyrc:
BabyRC Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
Naw the ones I had weren’t fun at the time but now I would love to have one. 
:iconrieile:
RiEile Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018
I generally identify myself as a skeptic (and I work in science) and I have never encountered any convincing evidence for anything supernatural. I have had some experiences that some would perceive as supernatural, e.g. prophetic dreams. However, I see them as mere coincidences that I remember just because they were so striking, while I do not remember all the thousands of dreams I had that 'predicted' nothing.

However, I do like to add a supernatural layer of meaning to stuff that has rational explanations. I once had a mycology professor who told the class: 'if the pharaoh's curse is delivered by fungi, it does not mean that the curse does not work'.
Understandable :nod:
:iconpickleparfe:
PickleParfe Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Student General Artist
I believe in God, so I guess by default, I believe in the supernatural.

To me, a supreme being creating the universe though intelligent design makes more sense than everything just... happening.
RiEile Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2018
Have you actually tried to learn how this “just... happening” is believed to have occurred?
Makes sense :nod:
:iconsanderrabbit:
SanderRabbit Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018
Well I've heard so many spooky stories but never experienced those things in my entire life. so I'm not believing them. There's a quote saying 'seeing is believing', you know. I'm a very skeptical person, therefore I also don't believe fate, superstition or afterlife. But if I can experience them it would be cool anyway:D
Understandable :nod:
:icontherealfrancisbacon:
therealFrancisBacon Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018
Of course. I believe there is a God, there are angels, demons, and spirits all over. Karma/fate are stupid, so is astral projection. Psychics? I don't know.

I have never had a "ghostly" encounter, though I hear they can be sexy...
I often wonder what goes on in that tiny mind of yours and that last comment made me wonder even more
haha, really? xD How so? ^^
... How are ghostly encounters sexy?? XD
Haven't you heard of those stupid, fabricated stories where guys are assaulted by female ghosts?? xD Succubus and stuff?
Oh, succubus and incubus demons XD I thought you watched The Haunting too much lol
haha, never watched it, but getting "attacked" by a succubus doesn't sound too bad :meow:
The Haunting is about people who study a haunted house and the spirits of the house want to, ahem, impregnate the woman XD
(1 Reply)
:iconmausekeks:
Mausekeks Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Hobbyist
While I do not believe in ghost, spirits, angels, e.t.c I do think that some people have some sort of aura. Sometimes I can just tell that a person is going to be trouble later on and even get a feeling of dread when I'm close to them if that makes sense.
+ I find the concept of demons possessing others interesting but I don't believe in it.
RiEile Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018
What makes you think that this aura is paranormal? There are a lot of cues you pick up and subconsciously process that can add up to this feeling of dread. Do you see what I mean?

In some perverse way I would love demonic possession to be real...)
:iconmausekeks:
Mausekeks Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2018  Hobbyist
Well you do have a point. I did not take that into account.

And I can only agree with the demonic possession (as long as it doesn't happen to me or my friends and family xD)
Oh cool o:
:iconqjsft:
qjsft Featured By Owner Edited Feb 13, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
What if people with schizophrenia see and hear things that 'normal' people can't? What if they sensed things that other people don't?
I've never met any, but I had an imaginary friend when I was little, his name was Hugh. My mom always tells me he could have been an angel protecting me. He seemed so real to me, and I was always talking to him. I met him at a supermarket.
I know this sounds made up, but it's the truth. But still, I won't believe in ghosts, angels or demons unless I am sure that I've seen one :shrug:
I think karma is a real thing. And fate, too. Everything happens for a reason. Astral projection? I don't know, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
The afterlife is something we can believe in or not. Because no one has come back, so the only way we can know if there is an afterlife is death. 
Schizophrenic's being able to see otherworldly things is a possibility and I've actually read about that, but I think it's just all in the schizo's head :shrug: but I do believe you.
:iconthemisterman2:
TheMisterMan2 Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Only when I'm afraid. 😁
That's when you believe?
Add a Comment: