is it ok to draw someone's OC as a gift for them without asking permission?

i mean, it should be a surprise gift, so it would be weird to ask permission to draw, but i also know some people don't want their OCs to be painted by someone unless they know it??//

ok, i need suggestions how to do better :3

i myself would prefer to know, but i am not against drawings of my OCs, but only if those who draw them know what i dislike, like i don't like my characters to be with someone else's characters in the same picture, and more than that in a romantic way! nope. but if i get something like that i will not be angry, i will just adore the drawing, it's just, it will not make me as happy as just my OC alone to be done by someone else. 
Comments50
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you show it to them in private before publicizing it and ask em if they're okay with it, why not?

If it's done as fan art, it's fan art.
Yes! I'm sure the artist would love it! As the others have said though, try to stay true to the character.
Drawing art of someone's character is something most artists really appreciate!! If someone doesn't want their oc drawn they will usually explicitly say so.
yeah that's ok

it's just fanart. i love when i see random fanart of my stuff :D 
It's perfectly fine if it's a gift- just don't take the character you're drawing out of the realm it lives in (so don't change personality, relationships, etc.).  It's definitely not wrong to though, as it's not like you're claiming the character as your own.  Plus many (including me) would probably be amazed someone took the time to draw something for them.
No. If they tell you not to draw their OC without asking, don't draw their OC without permission at all. I know you mean well, but you should respect their wishes.
i have not said people whose characters i want to draw said they don't want it, it's not written anywhere actually. 
the situation is *nowhere is written anything about it and i want to make a surprise gift* not *they told me not to do but i still want to* Facepalm 
I know. But you shouldn't do it.
Honestly,
   depends who and what your drawing
some people don't appreciate when random users draw their OCS some do, if it's a friend then they might appreciate it a bit more than rather a random user

If your drawing shipping, anything sexual, gorey, vent, a plotline for one of your characters, or a sensitive subject (like someone committing suicide) then it's better to ask permission
as said before, i can't even draw all those things :D 

not like *friends* just mutual watchers mostly ^^
Gifts are completely acceptable, it's always best to stay away from mature themes (sex, blood/gore/violence, swearing) unless if the artist has made it explicitly clear they're ok with that (they State it on their profile, or they've drawn it  a few times) 
i think it is okay
I'm perfectly fine with people drawing my characters as long as it's SFW, but I'm not other people, so it's probably wise to ask an artist how they feel about gift art before drawing them stuff if they don't explicitly mention it on their profile.
I think that’s perfectly fine! ^-^ I know I’d love it if someone did, so long as they don’t do it in a shipping/pairing way without asking me first or anything sexual.
I love it when people draw me surprise gift art ^_^ As long as it's something SFW and not some weird kind of fetish art, I've always been really touched by the random gifts I've received :) So generally speaking, I think it's a lovely thing to do, as long as it's something that you feel  would appeal to the person :)

...though the few surprise NSFW pictures I've received, on the other hand... I do not find that ok at all, and it's quite offensive to me. If you want to fantasize about my character, for whatever reason, at the very least, please, keep it to yourself, thanks D:  Not cool.  Slightly disturbing. XD
i cant draw nsfw i wish i could for myself but nope, so only cute gifts T-T
Cute gifts are the best gifts ^_^ <3
Nothing wrong with surprise gift art! Most people love seeing their characters drawn by other artists, but if it comes to surprise gifts things should be kept SFW. Some people are not comfortable with seeing their characters in NSFW situations, even more so if the character's creator hasn't given the artist permission to use said characters in that type of work.
ohhh if only i could draw nsfw T-T i would draw so many art with my own OCs :D 
Depends on the person!
I personally always welcome gift art of nearly any kind (nsfw and sensitive topics are generally a no, because some of my OCs i dont like getting art of thrm in those situations) but a friend of mine doesn't like gift art at all unless they themselves request it or if the artist asks permission first

It's a personal preference and to me, it's always a good idea to check if the artist has biblically posted about it.
If they haven't, you can always ask thrm like "hey are you okay with gift art randomly?" Because i would rather ruin the surprise then cause someone I know anxiety or problems
yeah, that's right too...
Honestly? Depends on what you're drawing. If I'm doing headshots, surprises are fine--same for fullbodies if I know the characters well. However, if it's like, shipping? Sexual stuff? Gore? I ask the person first. Like, there's this one person whose OC I fully ship with mine, and we've both drawn said OCs together. I think it's okay for us to surprise each other with that stuff but I still ask him, out of respect.