Closed to new replies
November 7, 2015
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Feedback request

:iconlawndart8675309:
lawndart8675309 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2015
A couple of days ago I posted here (forum.deviantart.com/community…) about Wikipedia's donated artwork project. There was no response. I was puzzled.

We thought that artists would be happy to get hundreds of thousands of views a month for a simple sketch while contributing to Wikipedia.

I would really appreciate some feedback here as to why not. It would help us know how to procede.

(A link to the project pages was not allowed here, but you can google "Wikipedia:Donated artwork Artists' welcome page" if you want.)

Best wishes.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlawndart8675309:
lawndart8675309 Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2015
Thank you all. I really appreciate the feedback.

I hear from the responses that nobody is interested because there's no payment, no trust because you don't know me, and nobody quite understands why anyone would draw for Wikipedia, or why Wikipedia would want drawings in the first place. Fair enough.

To address those concerns:

*Sure, there's no payment, and maybe the exposure would bring no jobs either. I thought it might. I also thought artists like to see their work appreciated and "seen", like the wonderful BANKSY.

*I am sorry, by the way, about the money thing. Artists are wonderful, and at the best of times, often have trouble making a living. The opposite end of the spectrum is hedge fund managers. They create nothing and get everything. It is not fair. Plus, you don't have a choice. True artists can be nothing but artists. So, sorry about the money. You deserve to everything. I, personally, am a lousy pseudo-artist. You can search my userpage at Wikipedia: "Anna Frodesiak".

*I am new here. But I have been around Wikipedia for years and am an administrator there. I am trustworthy.

*A decent likeness is way better than no image at all. Wikipedians (and almost certainly article visitors) would agree.

*Money, eh? I wonder if Wikipedia would cough up some money. They have 20 million or something now. Maybe I will ask.

*So, how about one image? A drawing. 10 minutes. See how it goes. You may like it. It may turn out to be something wonderful. And what do you have to lose? 10 minutes drawing must be more fun than 10 minutes at a forum, right?

*Could you suggest a place for me to contact? Some groups somewhere?

Best wishes to all.
:icondrifterjellybean:
DrifterJellybean Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
You posted a thread in Projects not advertising free art or fetish works. I think that alone was your problem
:icongirlfoxgirl:
Girlfoxgirl Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2015  Student Writer
It goes even beyond the working-for-free thing, I don't think I even understand the concept behind what was proposed. If I were on the Wikipedia page of say, Caitlyn Jenner, like you mentioned in the example, I would not want to see someone's drawing of her. I would want to see a photo, not some artist's sketch. Even if they were super talented.
:iconrainypug:
RainyPug Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconsolbrandz:
SolBrandz Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2015  Student General Artist
I don't think many would want to draw for exposure, especially when the person advertising is brand new to a site like deviantart. :shrug:
:iconhappyjoy:
Happyjoy Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2015  Professional Traditional Artist
he thinks he's creating art! ^ :lol:
:iconsomnusvorus:
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2015  Professional General Artist
Yeah, but I want money, not views. Views don't pay for the roof over my head and food on the table.
you should really consider storing your food in the refrigerator.
That's where I hide the bodies. :c
isn't that the same? 
:iconthefonzplz:
Yeah, but corpses are fattening. Livers aren't though. :p
:iconunknownsingularity:
UnknownSingularity Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
I can only draw good looking women :eyes:

Not the leader of North Korea :puke:
:iconco-phantom:
Co-Phantom Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Because a lot of artists can't really pay bills with exposure :V

That, or because you're posting in the Projects forum on dA, which reaaaaaally should be self explanitory if you've been around long enough.
that place is deader than my grandma.
:iconco-phantom:
Co-Phantom Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Deader than a lot of people's grandmas!
my grandma is actually alive and kicking, a fiesty one she is!
:iconnonoseknows:
nonoseknows Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2015
How about your grandpa?
Add a Comment: