CALLING ALL 3D MODELLERS! - Sketch2Life Challenge

I am currently trying to start up a monthly or bi-monthly challenge for 3D artists. [link] <---(first Sketch for the challenge)

The Challenge is as follows;

1: Based on the one sketch of one view of an object you are given, 3D modellers/artists are to recreate the sketched item in 3D.
2: Participants may add whatever embellishments they wish to add but the main structure must be close to the original sketch.
3: Participants then render out a Vanilla Render (that is a render of the model with no textures or colours on a flat colour background).
4: After the Vanilla Render (which allows us to see the shape itself) participants may do whatever they wish for their Formal Render (that is a render that contains the modelled, textured and coloured, in an environment of their choosing).
5: Participants then create one image in Photoshop of the 2 renders side by side for comparison and upload the jpeg into their gallery. They then note me with a link to their submission. Your username must also appear on your submission and must also include details in the description for the Deviation pretaining to what software was used and how much time it took.
6: Participants are allowed to manipulate their Formal Renders in Photoshop.
7: Participants have ONE MONTH from today (24th May 2006) to complete their work, submit it and send me the link in a note.
8: There is NO PRIZE. This is just a challenge to test my skills as a sketcher and your skills as a 3D modeller/artist.

Please reply here if you are interested in being a part of the Challenge.
Comments26
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
interested. if i have time i will do something.
Wicked. Welcome to the gang. :XD: :salute:
[link] My Vanilla render
Pretty kewl. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :XD:
Will you accept an amatuer modeler? I've only done 2 projects. I'd really to test my sklls with something new. And do we have to use photoshop?
Of course. The whole idea is to get you to improve your skills in 3D modelling and me to improve my skills in concept/pre-visualisation. You don't have to use Photoshop if you don't want to.
Awsome I'll get started ^_^
YAY! Another one to join the fray. :XD:
I like this idea, it might actually give me the incentive to get off my arse and practice my modelling skills! Good-o for the idea, maybe I'll submit a model for this one! :D
Sweet. More people keep having a go. At first I thought no one would but I think this will be pretty interesting.
Well well, I'm in? Where do I get sketches :D
There is a link in the first post. Happy modelling. :XD:
Well, I am working on this now that school is out. As for sticking close to the origional design, How close are you talking? My current model only uses the same rough shape (I am not a fan of blocky spaceships).

Mostly, my model itself is done, but I am still having issues with the set.
Stick to the general shape I suppose. It's meant to follow the sketch basically but be different depending on your interpretation of the sketch. I look forward to seeing what you've come up with.
Well, I plan to spend the next few days hiking, swimming, and working in python, but I will try to have it finished in a week or so. thanks.
Have it finished whenever you want. Take you're time and do stuff you wanna do. :XD:
interested...not interesting...I'm actualy quite boring.
Lol. I'm sure you're not as boring as I am. Anyways, to answer your question, I'd be the one to watch. Follow the link to the first challenge sketch in my gallery. I'll try to do this a little more often than the other stuff I do. I have a habit of becoming lazy with things and not keeping up with them.
I'm interesting....but don't have my computer right now so can't enter. Who would we watch to see future contests?
First semester over next week. was planning to do some modelling, If I see a sketch I like I might jump in.
Sweet. Long time no see. Have you checked out the link? I'd love to see you give it a go. You do some awesome stuff. BTW, heard of Semi-Permanent?
nope, whats this semi-permanent?
Big BIG design conference. Pretty awesome. Go to Designiskinky.com and have a look for stuff about it.
lol, looks good.
Strange I never heard of it, and I'm almost living in the design faculty at uts.