CARD GAME Project

Hello everyone,

PROJECT : i started to learn on my own to code a card game designed for mobile game. I Already learned to create UI /UX during last year. But it might take another year or 2 because im working alone on this project And its a project of a lifetime so i don't want to rush into it and fail.

Since i'm in the middle social class i can let you imagine that i don't have the budget to pay professionnal person for a huge number of illustration. I don't mind paying too until a certain point.
And of course if the game is a sucess in the future i don't mind paying full price for the next set of illustration.

PROFIL OF PERSON I AM LOOKING FOR :

I am fully aware that i am asking a lot of time invested for the budjet i have, i draw a lot myself so i know how much time an headatch it take to make a single illustration, but if you still interested at this point , thanx you.

+ i am currently looking for some artist(1 or 2) who can create a bunch of illustration (This card game will have around 3 edition/year wich mean at least 150 to 240 illustration/year needed.)
Based on an anime/fantasy style of drawing.

img110.xooimage.com/views/0/2/…
img110.xooimage.com/views/0/4/…
img110.xooimage.com/views/4/4/…

+ This guy/girl must be able to create a Range of character based on theme i will give to you. 

(for exemple if i say egyptian theme you should be able to create characters of this theme, a few monsters and finaly  landscape based on that theme for background of characters.)

Thanx you everyone for the time you spend reading this until the end. 

Comments20
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Hey there :D I'd like to work on this project with you. I've been trying to get into the art-making side of gamedev recently and I'm currently on a project as concept artist (it's very early stage and concept art is the only thing we have lol ) but I've done several commissions for private clients and all sorts of art for my boyfriend's YouTube ( he's a composer for video games so I got to make quite varied paintings ) from landscapes to creatures, anime and realistic xD right now my portfolio/gallery is all over the place but you can take a look and message me if you think it could work out :D
On artstation I have a narrow selection of pieces www.artstation.com/lyhm

And you can always check my gallery on here if you want to see more :D
Hi and thx for yourinterest in my project
Looking at your gallery there is not enought anime type art for me to judge the quality you could provide.

this is the graphic style i am looking for : 

www.pinterest.fr/pin/335729347…

www.pinterest.fr/pin/846043479…

www.pinterest.fr/pin/656399714…

if you feel confortabel to provite art of that quality then you are welcome
Hey there :D the style you want is basically anime features/proportions with a more detailed and realistic rendering. I think I can replicate that, I wanted to have a few pieces done in that style in my portfolio as personal projects but commissions took up all my time ahah. If you're not in a rush to get things started, I could work on something in that style and show it to you in about a week or so
sure thing ^^ i not in a hurry :)
Awesome :D I'll get back to you with something in a bit
alright it's taking me a bit longer than expected due to some "urgent" Christmas commissions but I'm still working on it ^^
oh no you miss-understood me maybe, i don't ask for free stuff , i will pay 50$ even 70$ per art  and i don't mind paying in advance either, was just saying that i can t afford a fullprice  i seen like 100/120 bucks on professional website.

Because i know i am asking a hight quality work. i won't get any answer in job/offer section with 50/70 bucks an art
That's reasonable but you'd still be looking at an art budget with your set pricing of between $50 per illustration to $70 max for 150 to 240 illustrations per year of at least $7500 to $16,800.  I think you need to start smaller since that's a lot of capital. I don't know what your starting budget is even for a year or two away from launching.  But that's a huge risk for an art budget.  You'd be better doing a small beta game with a handful of art pieces than a fully fledged version upfront.  Higher risk of failure. 

Atleast with a smaller beta you could market it, get interest, and even get investment interest too.  Before going for a larger more complex version.  Start small but think big until you can go big with the right support and financial backing while mitigating the risk to yourself financially. It's a huge gamble otherwise.
yeah if i want to release anything of course there will be a beta with a 80ish card max avaliable but i have to get maybe one or two expension rdy in case it work so it will let more time for illustrator to do the next set of art. and i actualy saved around 35 000 euro from my few years of working. so  i have a capital for my personnal project. 
Nice.  Well I wish you luck. 
Maybe I could throw in an art or two.
Can't do complex backgrounds. Flat, gradient, or transparent/alpha channel bgs.
Do you have a sample list of subjects to choose from?
Resolution/dpi?
Egyptian / Greeks / Vikings mythology characters / monster / sorceress  / Armored Knight , classic fantasy id would say
dpi shouldnt matter too much since its for mobile game/small screen and not printing but at least for resolution 344x380(size of the card
334x380 is like almost a square.
The sample on your photoshop screenshot is 235x328.
oh its 344 per 480 not 380 sorry
Thanx you for your anwser Anak , 

i will be pretty honest cause i don't want to waste anyone time , i am pretty  much at start of learning with game coding , did a few mobile app before but it wasn't game just simple apps so i am not new with coding at all. 

And even if i have no choice but to learn drawing  HQ illustration i will do it , it will just delay the thing by 3/4 years probably. i spend a year already learning photoshops(mostly to create game button,card template etc), illustrator, and to créate various animation effect on After Effect just for that goal. And  i paid already some online formation on udemy to learn as fast as i can on my free time out of work.

Again i don't want to waste anyone time or energy into my project and i don't wana give false hope. Thats why im more asking people who already made that kind of illustration or who could do them to build a portofolio for themself, they need to have an interest in doing it considering as you said some stuff could happen and the game could never go live. 

i know creating an app cost between 50 000 to 150 000 euro for a sofisticated game app , that could be why ppl gave up, they had the concept but not the money. And thats the main reason why i switched to learn game coding, being able to do it on your own mean you won't have this big wall. 

How much time you think people need to draw and create an illustration ? as i said i used to draw a lot when i was younger and i know for me at least each draw was taking me 1_3H for simple sketch without color or ink process added. But i don't know how muc time it take for a reel artist , i'll appreciate a hint on that ^^ so i ll have a better understanding of what i would ask.
It's not the time.  It's the budget you need to think about for your game.  You want high quality, fully coloured anime/realism styled artwork.  No artist is going to give you that level of quality for free.  And on average one illustration of that standard is going to cost at a bare minimum at least $30 as a base price with going as high as maybe  $100 dollars or more per piece.  If your art budget is anywhere below $1000 overall.  You aren't going to get an artist willing to hook onto your project doing 150 to 240 pieces of artwork annually.  You'd need to fork out at least up to $5000 and up to maybe even $15000 for that much work or more. 

You'd be commissioning an artist or two artists fully for a year.  Paying their salary/wages by fully booking them out of doing commissions on the side. 

A willingness to make a game is fine.  But no artist is going to realistically for the level of quality you want settle for being paid at a later date.  Or being promised to be paid.  You'd have to pay them upfront for each art piece.  The level of work you want is too high a quality for them to risk not being paid upfront for all of their work.

Budget in this case is something you really need to reconsider especially for the amount of artwork you want.  I think that'll be the thing that might break the project.  Learning coding is fine, but it's the artwork you need to get the game off the ground.  Also think about launching.  You might need to do a small beta example not a fully fledged game until you can get funding together.  Testing for quality is a major thing too, especially if you intend to sell the game to people. 
How far have you got on your coding or you haven't started yet and you just have an idea?

I joined 3 card based games as a volunteer artist before; 2 of them got no progress at all because they only have art and zero on the programming part and both projects just died. The third and last group I joined at least reached the alpha stage but it was abandoned for unknown reason.

Maybe you could start creating the game with placeholder images and add the art later. For the art, 150-240/year is too much considering the quality you posted as an example.
this is unity screen if you wana check what it looks likes, its the dev engine that created game like heartstone.

img110.xooimage.com/views/e/d/…

here card design under photoshop :

img110.xooimage.com/views/8/3/…

and here teh code for the card rotation management:

img110.xooimage.com/views/d/9/…

im doing 3-4h of each part everyday since i have no work right now , and not rly looking for one