Statistics

Replies: 125

Scientific Study On Magic Mushrooms Makes Big News

:iconpeacefroggie:
Peacefroggie Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2006
[link]

^ ^
READ THE ARTICLE!

This thing here is big news to me, for one I'm shocked that anyone was allowed to do such a study. But for two, this only reinforces something real important about brain chemistry. The experiences that we have and the way in which we perceive things are dictated by the distribution of chemicals in our brains. "You could be a piece of fish, or a bit of old cheese," as Ebenezer Scrooge might say. The only difference between seeing a vegetable garden house and family, and the divine collective unity of all creation, is eating a little fuckin slightly-toxic mushroom.

And look at what these people, who are apparently just regular folks, say:

"Many of the 36 volunteers rated their reaction to a single dose of the drug, called psilocybin, as one of the most meaningful or spiritually significant experiences of their lives. Some compared it to the birth of a child or the death of a parent."

"most of the volunteers said the experience had changed them in beneficial ways, such as making them more compassionate, loving, optimistic and patient. Family members and friends said they noticed a difference, too."

"Two-thirds called their reaction to psilocybin one of the five top most meaningful experiences of their lives. On another measure, one-third called it the most spiritually significant experience of their lives, with another 40 percent ranking it in the top five."

"experience included such things as a sense of pure awareness and a merging with ultimate reality, a transcendence of time and space, a feeling of sacredness or awe, and deeply felt positive mood like joy, peace and love. People say "they can't possibly put it into words," Griffiths said."

Now I know what these people experienced, having maybe eaten a few magic mushrooms a time or two myself...but I'll be honest, seeing it on CNN sent big fuckin shivers right down my spine and made all the nerves in my body tingle.

Devious Comments

:iconblue-bella-donna:
blue-bella-donna Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2006
perhaps that should be-

taking them for medical reasons,

taking them for fun and

taking them for spiritual reasons.
:iconneowarriorcat:
NeoWarriorCat Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2006
That's beer, which can actually make you forget stuff. :p
:icongazzaf1:
Gazzaf1 Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2006
No beer is for making fugly girls look hot!!

Great now you have brought up dreaded memories of hogging.............I hate you.............
:iconneowarriorcat:
NeoWarriorCat Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2006
:lmao:
:iconsloshooter:
SLOShooter Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2006
I can totally understand that. I used to think the same thing.
:iconmikeylove:
MikeyLove Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2006
Why is that more sad than anything else that people do for meaningful experiences? Seems a bit arbitrary to say so, doesn't it?
:iconsiyrius:
Siyrius Featured By Owner Oct 21, 2008
Great point!
Yes, but does that make it any less true? Essentially what this study is saying is that, when we DO have an incredibly meaningful experience, the same thing is happening in our brain as happens if we are on these psychedelic drugs. Is it a less valuable experience if caused by drugs than if caused by, say, prayer, meditation, or powerful emotion? Why? It's the same experience, it means the same thing. Is it better to go through your whole life never experiencing a powerful sensation of unity with everything, or to have to use a drug to reach that state? But yes, I personally do think it's more valuable to reach such a transcendent, mystical state through years of study and meditation than to do it instantly...however I still think everyone ought to strive for such knowledge, one way or the other.
Terrance McKenner said sort of the same thing. He was talking about the drug DMT (a hallucinogen like psilocybin that is traditionally found in ayahuasca). His idea was that the chemical DMT was released in our brains at significant moments in life - mainly birth and death.

He had an interesting theory about psilocybin mushrooms and human evolution.

People all over the world have been using ethnogens in order to evolve spiritually. I don't think it is a lesser experience because of the presence of mind altering substances. Maybe we need to have our minds altered?
:iconempchang:
empchang Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2006
you are correct.
DMT is an active chemical in the human brain.

and many people liken an experience with it as a sort of out of body/deathly type moment.
thats not what i have heard.

There is a guy at my uni doing his honours thesis on DMT (within studies in religion). The experiences that I have heard about don't seem to be similar to OOBEs or NDEs. They are usually highly visual with no physical affects other than mild euphoria and/or relaxation (unless you are taking a compound which contains 5-OH-DMT, which can be quite an uncomfortable experience). BUt suppose this sort of thing will always differ from person to person.
empchang Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2006
...or 5-MeO-DMT

but yeah, I was just describing the experiences of some people I know. It's not very scientific.
:iconshidaku:
Shidaku Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2006  Hobbyist Digital Artist
perhaps this is all the start of the message of Brave New World's best slogan: "Just one gram and you dont give a damn."
:iconravenstromdans:
ravenstromdans Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2006
My opinion on this is simple: using a shortcut or crutch of this nature to attain some kind of spiritual enlightenment is a poor way to go about things.

But then, I don't even trust most accepted medicines meant for treating mental conditions.
empchang Featured By Owner Jul 12, 2006
I agree to an extent.

I liken it more to a roller coaster ride... like a cheap thrill or something.
:iconeman333:
Eman333 Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2006  Professional Photographer
"But don't try this at home, he warned. "Absolutely don't."

lol uh oh...
Well, better at home than say, at the mall or something, right? :)
Home, or a nice field or walking up a mountain side. That would be nice.
:iconspiritwolf77:
spiritwolf77 Featured By Owner Jul 11, 2006
Oh, yeah, because if you freak out and try to jump out your window at home...there's no one there to stop you! That's waaaay better...
Being on mushrooms is a bad excuse for jumping out a window. You would have to be a total fool. Now, being suicidal, thats a good reason for jumping out a window.
Add a Comment: