So you think your country has abolished slavery?

Heyyyy ma honkies! How y'all doin'?

I was just thinking about slavery, and how conservatives are basically plotting and campaigning for its reinstatement. Not that they're calling it that. They're calling it 'libertarianism' or 'neoclassical economics'. Indeed, in many instances convoluted slavery is already apparent. A carefully manufactured society of masters and slaves, with people trapped in minimum wage work, for whom the consequences of leaving their job would be severe poverty, starvation, and possibly death.

Conservatism's first aim has always been to re-establish slavery. To create a succession of toll-booths through which the general populace must travel in order to survive. To reduce wages in relation to living costs, until those who work are trapped forever in menial jobs. To create an illusion of opportunity, while ensuring only those from a certain class or background are permitted those chances.

Some countries are even more blatant about owning slaves. The United States constitution explicitly allows convicts to be forced into labour. Indeed many slaves were forced to fight the wildfires in California, and millions more inmates are forced to work for businesses like Microsoft, McDonalds, Wal-Mart, Whole Foods, Starbucks, and IBM. Prisoners asking for better conditions are subject to solitary confinement. The 13th Amendment has a specific exception allowing prisoners to be used as slaves.

Other companies prefer to source their slaves from overseas. Nike, Apple, Amazon, Samsung, Gap, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Victoria's Secret, among many others, sub-contract to suppliers who in-turn employ slaves from labour camps in places like Xinjiang. Every time such practices are exposed, the companies release 'sorry-not-sorry' statements, and continue turning a blind eye to their usage of forced labour. Other companies prefer to import slaves directly. Here in the UK, Boohoo.com was found to be sourcing garments from a factory in Leicester that trafficked people from South Asia to work as slaves in their sweatshop. The situation only came to light because the slaves who worked there were not given adequate protection from Coronavirus infection, and ended up infecting much of the surrounding city.

Given western governments' deliberate failure to address this issue, does it not fall to the responsibility of the general population to re-capture the property of modern-day slaveholders, so that their captives may be released and recompensed? How should we go about this?

Comments127
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Ahkheee special Turkish chocolates :dignity-laugh: 
Homer Simpson mouth saliva hungry Icon Mmmmmmm! Chocolates...

Circus friendships.

Yes! Yes!

Btw do you think the Owner of this forum thread is stupid?
View all replies
I call it 'endentured servitude' and saw it first hand in the UK postal service prior to the sell off. I was a 'casual' engaged to cover the x-mess bulk - sent for a fag break when the inward sacks reached a certain level.

Later I would be a last Royal Mail dispatch manager, all the x-mess staff I worked with were foregin nationals and regional staff and they were bonza!

however, there were and are the zero hour slaves who are called in with minutes to spare. If they didn't show then they wouldnt be 'blacklisted'.

And even the regular staff were blacklisted, an RM regular was black balled because she had to go home, her daughter was in septic shock! She was fired for leaving to take her daughter to hospital. But this was in the Blair era of Labour & the institution that women should at home on prehistoric ideals.
Yes, it's quite a culture shock moving from a employer that doesn't treat staff well to one that does. When you find yourself looking at people doing normal things like taking urgent calls from their family, or going to the toilet without asking, as if they were dangerous rebels, and then realise the place you were before was just fucked up...

Royal Mail has been a cluster fuck for quite a while. It should be easy enough not to treat the people that work for you like dirt. Shouldn't it?

"It should be easy enough not to treat the people that work for you like dirt. Shouldn't it?" Yup, simple common decency and respect not to mention that a 'happy worker is a productive worker'.

RM I could go on at length about it's failings: from management, unions to disaffected workers but it's now a business rather than a public service (as it was at the time I was there) so now a different animal and any comment I make would be out of context thanks to Bliar and Camoron.

Right on AbCat why not show all those devil slave masters and all quit are jobs.    We could all just sit around and curse them after that or actively participate in destroying the system.
Yeah baby we'll show them all right and simply adjust to our new found savior as the lights and electricity get proportioned or totally shut off and we find the supermarket grocery shops closed or shelves empty.   Yeah we'll show them bastards by starving to death and destroying what little we may have right now!    Like the movie "Dr. Zhivago" when the red train comes whistling by with exerted force we can all raise our fists in anger and yell "Stronakaugh"!   
How about working for ourselves? :o
.... That is Stronakaugh, Stronakoff, or however you spell his name.   Just watch the movie Dr. Zhivago (1966) and see what I mean.
Comrade Stalin salutes you!  Stalin by zeushadesposeidon  

That's really funny reply, glad to see you have a sense of humor.

Thanks. Glad to Have a sense of humou! 😊

There are currently more slaves in Africa than there ever were in the USA when slavery was legal.

There are around 9 million slaves mostly in the west coast countries of Africa .
And at the end of slavery in the USA there was around 4 million slaves.

www.globalslaveryindex.org/201…

www.statista.com/statistics/10…

If you want to deal with the house that is on fire first then fix slavery in Africa (and everywhere else) first , someone who is currently a slave should be a higher priority than than someone who's ancestor was a slave.
Modern Slavery is called Company.
Minimum wage with working the jobs of more than one person is pretty bad.
Well I think we should define a new term. Slavery is working in shackles after being dominated by a foreign power.
I agree that there ar a lot of similarities but I would like to find a new way of describing it which shall have the same effect upon hearing but with the distinct difference how we mistreat workers though they are not slaves. Therefore leaving the path open to increasing their conditions while laying a bar higher than being a slave to stay away from as worker all around the globe
The only slavery I see in this country is the out of control drug abuse leading to addiction and causing so much destruction in the U.S.A.     Drug addiction is one of the worst kinds of slavery ever used, and who are the slave masters in this evil game, the drug pushers and dealers.
But FatPunisher thinks they are enjoying themselves and enjoying their deadly drugs! You better watch out or she’ll throw a tantrum!
What a load of rubbish.

You talk of conservatives bringing back slavery... and then mention these companies. You think the Democrats or Labour are an enemy to any of these businesses? How were the rich under Obama? Were they suffering? Of course not!

You are being very naive. Liberals will talk a great deal about how they'll squeeze business on such matters but that talk is all for naught. What is globalism if not the endorsement of such systems? Cheap labour from abroad, expensive labour dumped at home and all done in the name of progress. Yes, progress to exploit people and both sides accept this reality. Nothing short of a fundamental collapse will change it.

Democrats go on about illegals... who is most susceptible to exploitation? Yes, illegals. If no one is looking out for you, there's no one to know you're gone, no one to be subsequently lookinf for you. All this talk of unchecked immigration... it is this that aids true slavery, but of course the people who bang on about it are too full of themselves to realise this. No, they whitter on about "dreamers", living in cloud cuckoo land where all immigrants live in the American Dream.

Liberals would do better actually talking to the other side rather than inventing fanciful little tales about how terribly evil they are. Conservatives are realists, liberals are idealists who have trouble adjusting to reality, that's my takeaway from these kinds of posts, usually found in some reddit echo chamber where no one will think to question it.
What else do you expect. Once again, this is the same imbecile who called half the population of the US white supremacists.