Gun safety

Okay, first off. For everyone, no googling!
What are the most basic rules of gun safety(1)?
How many are there(2)?
Are there 3, 5, or 12 rules(3)?
Can you list them(4)?

Now questions that I don't mind you googling for:
How adamant are you about the Second Amendment(5)?
Do you know the basic mechanics for handling your weapon(6)?
How often do you go to a range(7)?
Does your range have safety rules posted(8)?
Is your range a chain, and is it nation wide(9)?
Are there any specific laws that you think apply in your state/county/country that might not apply elsewhere, and what are they(10)?

I'm asking these questions mostly because the wife is getting more adamant about owning a weapon, and I am somewhat terrified of having one around (I have issues with depression, a family history of suicide, and have survived an actual drive-by shooting before, I'm very cautious of them). I figure I can compromise, find us a reputable gun range in the area, and get more comfortable with them before we purchase one. Then keep it locked in a safe that only she has the access code to, to keep sudden fits of broodish pique at bay. Essentially, it'll only be a range gun. 

So, beyond basic gun safety, are there any recommendations? I live in the San Antonio area, so I'm looking for a range around there that might be willing to give some basic training to prospective owners. I'd love recommendations. 
Comments43
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Always, ALWAYS treat your weapon as if it were loaded and could go off at any second. Even if you are sure it's not loaded, always treat it as if it were.
If you have children in the house, particularly teenagers, guns can be a problem. Otherwise, adults generally don't have problems with guns. Millions of lives are saved every year by guns used for personal protection. If believe it is the only thing keeping the thugs out of my house. People know I will use it and they would be fools to storm my house. After all the lawlessness of recent days, I think everyone should consider their own personal protection.
I think this current spate of terrorist (Antifa) riots will ensure the gun-laws will not change for the foreseeable future... The globalist left have seen to that - in what they have helped in a big way to create. Maybe we could use them for target practise if the courts ever catch up with them? Sherlock Holmes   

So you do not care about gun safety at all. Got it. You're the exact kind of person who should never, ever be let near a gun.

Incredible how many members on DA can't read what's put before their very eyes - they go off at a frenzied tangent and invent what their fantasy world and unicorns tell them to see and think... just like virtue signalling left.

You actually saw exactly what you wanted to see - not what was written.

I did time with the military and can guarantee I'd probably run rings round you in the weaponry department - my dodgy hearing and jangled rotator cuffs are testament to that.

Let me say it again in a different way: THE RIOTS WILL CAUSE GUN OWNERS TO HOLD ON TO THEIR WEAPONS USING THEIR HEARTS AND SOULS - AND THE GOVERNMENT WILL SEE EXACTLY WHY THEY WISH TO DO SO!

Are you now going to suggest that I may well have shot J F Kennedy?

I tell ya' there are a lot of peeps on meds here ain't there!!!

:crying:

So, in a thread about gun safety you
a) ignore the topic
b) blame someone else for something off topic
and
c) call political opponents target practice

Do you wonder why I say that you shouldn't have a gun? If you cared about this topic, you would talk about this topic, and not try and steer the conversation to "we should shoot people I don't agree with."

AGAIN!!! You invented something that you wanted to SEE!!! Do you see how the unhinged among us hide behind virtuous signalling as if on the high ground of morality...

Are you just as empty as your pages?

:nod:

In Taiwan, only police officers can legally have guns.
If murderer wants to kill someone, he or she needs to use knives, baseball bats, poisons...etc.

I am not sure about the U.S, but I feel safe living here.
In Taiwan there is no proper channel to procure guns, but since airsoft guns and replica model gun is allowed
I saw news of underground machine shop converting model guns to fire live ammunition by drilling the bore and firing pin block

youtu.be/S53Y3_DcTQA

Is it really as safe as you said ?

I saw recent news that there is new law prohibiting model guns,
But those that is already in circulation probably won't be that easy to crack down especially in hands of criminals.

There have a few criminals who do find some way to obtain guns, but they are also easy to identify, plus normal people will just call the police if they see a gun carrier, so our police can track them down very quickly.

To Taiwanese, one of the most horrible and memorable events is called 鄭捷案, which is a random attack from a kid by using knives hiding in his bag on MRT, which is way harder to predict than guns.

Actually knife crimes is more scary than gun crimes, as you said knife attack in the MRT and people is difficult to run.
In confined space it is hard to maintain the 21 foot rule to prevent a knife attack.

Sadly there is no proper defend against knife attack as pepper spray is banned in my country,
So using umbrella or walking stick against a knife attack might be the best survival option.

Striking the thumb and fracturing the knuckle would stop a person from holding a knife.

I am glad that people on MRT decided to fight back instead of just standing there, otherwise more people will be stabbed to death.

I think Taiwanese is used to the life of not having guns at all, and random killing is not very common. You rarely see police using their force and mistakenly shot someone here, due to most of the residents are guaranteed to be unarmed.

Maybe with the pandemic going on there is cases of scuffles and random knife murder in my area,
A jogger was killed less than 10 minute walking distance from my home.

As well as knife attack and crime on the rise.

So it is kind of high alert even when watering the plants outside my apartment.

The murder suspect is a lunatic, so absolutely no prediction on random murder.
The jogger was randomly murdered.
View all replies

Comparatively? Being stabbed is deadlier than being shot. Guns just let you murder from a distance.

Also I want to add my personal touch on this for you, maybe help you at ease. I was pretty against guns in some way for a long time. I got hunting and I got people using it for security and police work but I never understood the fascination with it. After a while the thought of owning a gun for self-protection grew on me. It makes sense really.

I'm very, very wary. I understand the appeal, but I have not had good experiences with guns. I wanted to make a post, specifically, so that people could talk about safety and guns outside of just partisan bickering. I know that they are tools, and that any tool mishandled is dangerous. That's a big thing for me, I don't trust people who are blase in any way about safety with guns around me, and that's one of my biggest worries about having a firearm around the house.

Just do us all a favor though, don't be that guy who says "guns for me, but not for thee". I see some people doing that and it's just WRONG.

Honestly, I have a lot more respect for people who actually can give basic information on safety owning a weapon than people who politicize owning one. Essentially, most posters in this thread? They're giving advice and being helpful! I'd trust them more with a weapon than someone who can't separate their politics from their gun ownership. I honestly still don't want a gun around, but I'm looking for a way to be more comfortable around them.

I'm seriously worried that I'm hearing people, in a thread about gun safety, identify political opponents as targets. That's fucking terrifying. 

Hobo, it's been politicized as early as the 1600's. It's just the nature of it.

If people can't separate something as important as safety from their personal politics, that's a real problem. I mean, would you trust, say, a computer manual that went on diatribes about the nature of how horrible the gold-mining industry is? You might agree with them, or might not, but if they're doing that, they're not exactly interested in the computer, are they?

Again, it's been politicized as early as the 1600's. There's not one thing we can do or say to stop it, and it's just going to happen regardless.

You've come to the right place and I'm sure I'm not the only one who can enlighten you on this.

Bear with me, and please take this all seriously as I'm sure you will get good advice from others too. Please read to the end, as I do have a serious statement to make.

What are the most basic rules of gun safety(1)?
How many are there(2)?
Are there 3, 5, or 12 rules(3)?
Can you list them(4)?

Bullet; Red Treat every gun as though it were loaded*
Bullet; Red No what and where your target is, and what is beyond your target.
Bullet; Red Never point the muzzle of your firearm at anything or anyone you do not intend to shoot.
Bullet; Red Keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction at all times.

* I put the asterisk because this has a caveat. It's the rule for the most part, but as you get more involved with the gun, you'll find that the gun will sometimes be unloaded and you will have to treat it as though it is unloaded. So in reality, the rule is more technically: Treat every firearm as if it were loaded unless you have personally verified that it is fully unloaded and is also at the same time in your possession. Meaning as long as it is in your hand you'll find there are times you will have to check that it is unloaded, you will see that it is unloaded, and you can then treat it as though it is unloaded. Every time you set it down, turn your back, or someone else handles it; repeat the process and verify that it is fully unloaded. This part of the technicality most people will not admit to new shooters for some reason.

It needs to be said for various reasons.

Bullet; Green You need to clean the gun at some point and you cannot properly clean and maintain the gun without unloading it at some point. Better get used to checking that it is unloaded and can be treated as such. If you try to clean the gun and treat it as though it is loaded, it will not work out too well.

Bullet; Green Part of maintenance on the bore (inside of the barrel) is cleaning it and inspecting it. Need to have it unloaded to do it. Again, get used to checking it thoroughly and making sure it stays in your possession.

Bullet; Green Another VERY CRUCIAL reason why you need to know when to treat a gun as though it is loaded and when it is unloaded is dry firing. A lot of people don't like it, but dry firing is an essential component to training. Dry firing involved pulling the hammer and squeezing the trigger when the firearm is empty (or just pulling the trigger if that's your style). Many people practice their trigger discipline with dry firing. Note that dry firing is not to be done on break-action shotguns, and small-caliber firearms such as .17, .22, .25, .32, and some .380's even.

How adamant are you about the Second Amendment(5)?

Bullet; Blue Adamant. I'm a purist with the 2A and really everyone ought to strive to be. The moment we relax, the tighter the regulations and restrictions become. You hear those stories about people in California and wherever that have to undergo mandatory waiting periods before they can collect their firearms for self-defense? Many first timers have realized how wrong this is in time of national emergency and panic. I don't even like machine guns being banned because that is an arm one can bear.

Bullet; Blue The Yankee Marshal is a left-leaning pro-2A advocate and he actual goes over the meaning of it quite well. Study it. Cherish it. Use it. Let nobody take it away form you. It's your natural right.

Do you know the basic mechanics for handling your weapon(6)?

Bullet; Purple I do know the basic mechanics of handling my weapons. I own many dozens of firearms, all shoot superbly, all are mechanically sound. I actually just got finished hand-building a 1911 pistol in .45 ACP caliber. It took me a while but it was worth it because I learned all of the functions of every part that goes into that firearm. Many people sink their teeth into building AR-15s and AK47s as well. All are superb ways of learning how a gun works.

** You don't necessarily need to know every part.

How often do you go to a range(7)?

Bullet; Black I try to go to the range once a week if I can. I had plenty of training in the federal government, but I maintain my skill and aim by practicing regularly. And when I go to the range, I make a habit of getting to know the range officers so that they understand me and I understand them. No miscommunication.

Does your range have safety rules posted(8)?

Bullet; White Every range I visit has all of the safety rules posted. You may find that during the pandemic, they post additional safety rules to prevent the spread of the disease as well.

Is your range a chain, and is it nation wide(9)?

Bullet; Yellow Ranges are seldom a chain, my two go-to ranges are not chains. One is a private range owned by a business owner. The other range is a public range owned an doperated by the Department of Natural Resources of my State. Your State may do something similar. I do know that out west, citizens often shoot on federal lands also.

Are there any specific laws that you think apply in your state/county/country that might not apply elsewhere, and what are they(10)?

Bullet; Orange No my State does not have any other gun laws in addition to federal because it recognize the right of a free citizen to keep and bear arms for the defense of one self and of the State, as per its own constitution.

I'm asking these questions mostly because the wife is getting more adamant about owning a weapon, and I am somewhat terrified of having one around (I have issues with depression, a family history of suicide, and have survived an actual drive-by shooting before, I'm very cautious of them). I figure I can compromise, find us a reputable gun range in the area, and get more comfortable with them before we purchase one. Then keep it locked in a safe that only she has the access code to, to keep sudden fits of broodish pique at bay. Essentially, it'll only be a range gun.
Bullet; Pink Your wife is smart and you are smart to compromise and keep it locked away in a safe when not in use. Do not be terrified. EVERYONE, and I MEAN EVERYONE is nervous and sometimes scared their first few times handling and shooting a firearm. It's natural to feel that. Practice often, get confident. Enjoy your right.

So, beyond basic gun safety, are there any recommendations? I live in the San Antonio area, so I'm looking for a range around there that might be willing to give some basic training to prospective owners. I'd love recommendations.
The most I can recommend you is to listen carefully to the sound and sage advice that I have given you, RobStrand is right on the money, also. Look up some Youtube channels that will help you get started.

Seizure Bullet If you need recommendations on good first time guns, I'm sure some of us would be more than delighted to help.

Gold bullet Channels I recommend:

TWO THINGS I would like you to remember.

1. Control the gun. Don't let it control YOU.

2. Please do not live under the belief that you should enjoy the right to protect yourself but others cannot. I see a lot of first timers since the beginning of the pandemic doing that. They think they should be trusted with a gun but to hell with everyone else. This is a natural right guaranteed and recognized by our constitution, it should be for everyone.

On a side note. I posted this for another user because evidently you blocked them. They believes he should be able to help anyone with the right to bear arms, and he did help me a year ago with it too so it's all pretty thorough from here.. He was real adamant so what the hell. I agree with it. also, I second Paul Harrell, he's pretty relaxed and good at explaining everything.