Details

May 22
Link

Statistics

Replies: 28

Goodbye Hong Kong, China moves to end autonomy of the former British territory. USA not happy.

:iconseadragon666:
SeaDragon666 Featured By Owner May 22, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I believe the British made a mistake giving Hong Kong to China, but oh well.... Hong Kong is no more :dead:

Here is my source, German news agency DW: 

youtu.be/S2Ti0-sYOhs

Should people in Hong Kong with Passports to the UK, Canada, EU, Australia, USA just leave the country, since China will be able to arrest them if they oppose the CCP?

Should American/European corporations and banks just leave?

or should the  USA and Allies send troops to Hong Kong to protect freedom and democracy? 

Here is what Trump said about China's move to destroy Hong Kong:

www.reuters.com/article/us-usa…

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconheiyubai:
HeiYuBai Featured By Owner May 25, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Already told my bros there I won't be coming back due to it, they're applying for US citizenship and I don't blame them at all. Fuck commie bootlickers and fuck the ccp. After corona ends china will be doomed anyway, japan is pulling production out and many other nations will follow.
:iconshuqxx:
ShuQxx Featured By Owner May 22, 2020   General Artist
Also, some people here have a really skewed/inaccurate view.idea of HK (esp if it's based on anime ^^;, games, movies/hollywood etc.. ).

They like to use an 80-90s version of HK as their inspiration (even when it's sci-fi'd up and modernised, you can tell it's the same 80-90s HK street stock image/video it's based on..) 

Don't even know where this "gang" thing comes from. Also heavily romanticised on whatever triad media is out there. It doesn't happen lol. Definitely not on any normal/common streets. 
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner May 22, 2020   General Artist
let's release corona-chan, privately/quietly round up the surviving freedom rioters/protesters and poof Hong Kong is now free for the taking! 

British owned a lot of the world for a good long while, these countries deserved to have their country back.  just so happens China was a threat to themselves and to others, but kowtowing will do that.  works wonders in your favor to do whatever you want, kill and reprogram whomever you want, all the while other nations, including the very small letter groups, look the other way.

must be nice, I wonder what all China offers to get UN to leave them alone and other countries, government, international...

since they couldn't get Tibet in a timely manner let's shoot for Hong Kong! let's hope they bail out while they still can, if not they are pretty much stuck there when China officially takes them over.  well unless you're infected then poof away you go, first class even!
:icontriagonal:
Triagonal Featured By Owner May 22, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
I’m not saying I didn’t support Hong Kong for its stances, but they never made sense as a sovereign power to me. Not because of its status or its small size (after all, look where I live) but because of its original purpose. Its situation can be compared to the infamous Paris commune.
ShuQxx Featured By Owner May 22, 2020   General Artist
Even in terms of size,  HK has more area than a bunch of countries incl. Singapore. S.Korea, Austria, Ireland, France, etc..

And in terms of population HK has more people than many countries too..

Do any countries/"Sovereign powers" have a purpose other than independence? And being their own country/self-governance? ^^;
:icontriagonal:
Triagonal Featured By Owner May 22, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
I meant the original purpose the British had for it. It was a port conquest, one which occurred without much effort otherwise by China, which back then was a different and fairer entity than the one that "wants it back" now. Like I said, I don't mind that it has had autonomy (and I don't question that autonomy alone is a national motivator), just that what it began as doesn't strike me as inspiring the concept of autonomy.
:icondyscalculie:
Dyscalculie Featured By Owner Edited May 22, 2020  Professional Traditional Artist
The British had no other choice. They stole Hong Kong from China, it was only fair they gave it back. It wasn't theirs. 

Also, People in Hong Kong who have passports for abroad can do what they want, it's up to them. They could emigrate since the day the Hong Kong government was put into place; that was several decades ago. If they haven't done so yet, it's probably because they don't want to. 
A great deal of them feel totally Chinese, so they don't want to go anywhere else. 

The US has no more business in Hong Kong as the UK had. The American agenda isn't all that altruistic either... 

I think Americans have gotten the habit of thinking 'the whole world' has to run according to their standards, exactly like how the Chinese government feels Hong Kong should run according to theirs. Exept: Hong Kong actually IS Chinese, whereas 'the whole world' is NOT American.  Why won't they bud out of other counry's business?
:iconcommander9:
COMMANDER9 Featured By Owner May 22, 2020
Ironic that the British let Hong Kong go but yet, they still hold onto the Falklands to this day.
Dyscalculie Featured By Owner May 22, 2020  Professional Traditional Artist
Yes. It's not ironic, since ironic means funny, in a sense. Shameful is what I would call it.
:iconcommander9:
COMMANDER9 Featured By Owner May 22, 2020
Thing is that Argentina tried taking the island through military force and failed during the Falklands War, years before Hong Kong would be handed over to China without a fight.

Make you wonder which was more valuable.
I was there while that Falkland war was faught. It was a political strategy from Prime minister Thatcher to divert the attention of the British people from what was happening inside the UK, a deep and very emotional social crisis. She was getting extremely impopular, what with the strike of the coal miners and other workers going on for months, the people getting poorer and poorer, and she wanted to whip up a patriottic storm to make the British people go all "Hail Britania"-like. So she sent an enormous army fleet to the Falklands, and caused a huge conflict, that had a great number of British soldiers killed and wounded.
There was no economic gain to be had in keeping the Falklands, but there was to the war itself. As soon as her popularity had been whipped up again among the British people (because her strategy worked), she abandoned the Falklands problem altogether.
Hong Kong however, is an entirely different matter. You can't really compare the two situations.
:icontakatouiori:
takatouiori Featured By Owner May 22, 2020
I don't disagree that Thatcher was awful but the Falklands had and has no Argentinian's and their claim to the island because they were once Spanish is incredibly poor.
I don't really understand what you're saying with "the Falklands had and has no Argentinian's and their claim to the island because they were once..." there seem to be a part of the sentence missing.
It didn't matter to her whether Argentina had a rightful claim to the Malvinas or not. All that she cared about was the internal political affairs in England. She wanted the people in the UK to turn to a foreign enemy to hate, instead of to her... It's a common policy with leaders when they want their own muddling and messing to go unnoticed. George W. Bush and his weapons of Mass-destruction, anyone? Or Trump and his sudden war against China?
China itself does it all the time. It whips up the hatred of the Chinese people against Japan and recently the US, in order to divert the people's attention from the bullying of the Tibetans, the Uygurs, the followers of Falun Gong, whatever... Divide et impera, ring a bell?
Thatcher was a master in that. She picked enemies when she wanted them. And at that particular time Argentina came in handy as a sudden Great Enemy of the Empire...
:icontakatouiori:
takatouiori Featured By Owner May 22, 2020
She used it for political gain and fanned the flames but it was right to protect the homes and livelihoods of the islanders.
I mean there never has been people from Argentina living there. See: www.falklands.gov.fk/self-gove…
(1 Reply)
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner May 22, 2020
I've been told that, funnily enough, it is our old laws that prevented China from having their way with Hong Kong from the off so that's a positive contribution we've made. Maybe we should take it back, give the people their freedom.
Who's us? us British?
As much as you'd want to, you can't.
blackbook668 Featured By Owner May 22, 2020
Obviously not but it's a thought. I've heard they don't have all that bad a feeling towards us, especially with our old laws acting as a barrier between them and the Chinese authorities.
Yes, they don't like it at all that they'll have to switch to a more Chinese, more autoritary regime, after they've enjoyed democracy for so long. But that doesn't mean they don't feel Chinese... What they really'd want, is not to 'become' British again, in order to keep their democracy, but to stay Chinese AND keep their democracy.
British isn't synonymous to democracy and freedom. Chinese doesn't mean the same thing as dictatorial.
What we must do is support them individually, not as nations. Not as "America' or "UK", but as people.
blackbook668 Featured By Owner May 23, 2020
What that other person says is true because I remember being told something to that effect. That's not an argument for British rule though, I wasn't too serious with that point. Likely we'd just end up making things worse in the attempt.
Dyscalculie Featured By Owner May 23, 2020  Professional Traditional Artist
Probably. As a nation, measures always have an agenda. They may claim they mean well, but they're only looking out for numer 1. Remember Bush senior and Saddam Houssein invading Kuwait? Bush went to "free Kuweit", but it was about oil all the time. The British wanted to bring "civilisation" to Africa and Asia, but all they wanted was tea, coffee, and a market for their opium.
The only way we can help the Hong Kongers is trough those independent organizations who only care about moral things, like Amnesty International or AVAAZ. Not as a nation, but as citizens, all of us individually, show solidarity and sign petitions and all that. That way we can show them that we care, but that we're not in it for our own profit.
ShuQxx Featured By Owner Edited May 22, 2020   General Artist
Actually there was a survey and most HK people don't consider/call themselves chinese. 

I've never called myself chinese and wouldn't refer to myself as such unless if asked for my ethnicity. 

I say I'm from HK, and most HKers will callthemselves as such (HongKongers)

Kind of like how Taiwanese call themselves Taiwanese and not Chinese. And that's the difference.. people from Beijing, won't refer to themselves as Beijinger, Shanghai person as Shanghainese, Guangzhouer, or whatever etc..  when asked. 
Dyscalculie Featured By Owner May 23, 2020  Professional Traditional Artist
Well, yes, of course. You are born in Hong Kong, so you're a Hong Konger. People from Taiwan are Taiwanese, and people from Singapore are Singaporeans, and people from some Chinatown somewhere in Canada or Germany are Canadese or Germans. But the same thing goes for people from Shanghai or Yunnan; they will feel Shanghaian or Yunnanese before being Chinese. Just as I would feel Flemish first, and Belgian after that. And you'd even feel a citizen of your home town first before that.
But it doesn't stop me from being Belgian, not French or Dutch or British. And being Hong Konger doesn't stop you from being Chinese, my friend... nor does it stop the German Chinese from being Chinese.
Everybody has gotten used to only call the mainland "Chiina" and the rest of the country something else; but it is all one country. Hong Kongers are Han, aren't they? And Taiwanese too, and Macao.. (I don't know how you call a citizen from Macao, Macao-ese? Macao-an???..) are all Han.
If Hong Kong was left to live in peace with the government they wanted, without any bothering from the mainland China regime, the Hong Kongers would probably have no problem whatsoever calling themselves Chinese, just as the Tailwanese and all the others. You are all very proud of your grand civilisation, aren't you? This is a different thing than the people of Tibet: they are a completely different country, a different ethny, they have a different culture. And they actually were invaded and occupied by China, against their will. I get they don't want to be seen as Chinese; that's because they're not.
ShuQxx Featured By Owner May 24, 2020   General Artist
Actually not born in HK, just lived here a long time
But no, I mean if you asked a mainland (chinese), they will say they're from China/ Chinese, and rarely if ever say they're Shanghainese etc. unless you ask them specifically where they're from in China.
And as I mentioned, of course it doesn't stop them ethnically from being chinese, but the thing is that HKers don't consider themselves as nationally chinese.
Macau people are Mecanese I believe. But they're very pro-chn, so.. ^^;
I agree, Tibet is most definitely different.
I wouldn't say proud. Not me personally at least (again, I'm technically not HKer, wouldn't call myself that, and doubt too many HKers would consider me a proper HKer either). HK has many many flaws. I see being culturally chinese/sticking to out-dated chinese traditions as one of them.
It's just that if you compare HK and Chn, it looks, feels, sounds, smells, different. Culturally also. Much moreso than Taiwan, if I'm being honest, Taiwan to me feels exactly like chn.
(1 Reply)
:icongametrek:
GameTrek Featured By Owner May 22, 2020  Professional General Artist
HSCB bank

Okay here is the thing. For the longest Hong Kong has been under the rule via the British colonial system. White supremacy.

Literally in Hong Kong white people got all the best jobs leaving kitchen work as the next way to step up asides for it's arts movement. In a nutshell Asian people in Hong Kong are the bottom barrel. Imagine your sister selling her body to your boss who uses profanity at you or seeing the love of your life dating no less a forefinger white who is some sliver-spoon yuppie fake position job.

Even lower then that is the gang problem in Hong Kong. If you have seen "Genocyber" or "Akira" image being dragged into the middle of a heavy trafficked road and slashed up in broad daylight by a gang of young adults who might be young as nine. Imagining people living on on abandon tracks, drifters, etc from when they were seven being abandon by their mother used by somebody as a human shield. That is how low it is in Hong Kong.

The deal is that Hong Kong for the longest wanted liberation from the British ( like with India ) that it was originally part of China

People in Hong Kong Speaks Cantonese. Which is funny because it is mostly spoken there stand alone. Which is funny because most Chinese movies are in Cantonese more or less.

So if we go from the sell-out known as Jackie Chan point of view HK history is being re-written as it should be. A part of China.

That being said nobody in Hong Kong owns property. The land is leased from the government. So clinically everybody in Hong Kong ( and China ) are all homeless.

They lease the land, and then that land is rented out to smaller leasers/renters and they build whatever, etc.

China screwed up Hong Kong by

1. Pushing for Mandarin over Cantonese?

2. Censoring writers from Hong Kong
by jailing them and shutting down their businesses or even forcing them to be jailed.

If people from Hong Kong wants to come to the United States I welcome them with open arms. Especially people who are able to push themselves to work good. Not just pretty girls.

Speaking of forums this guy says his father is from Japan is not wealthy. Point taken Japanese guy would rather burn his time on women outside of Japan across mainland Asia. That is saying a lot.

What does artgerm thinks about HK v. China?

What does Jademan thinks about HK v. China?

No really I would love to know this.
Add a Comment: