Why is the UK the UK, anyway ?

Shouldnt it be UQ - United Queendom ? :happybounce: 

Comments23
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Britain is often referred to as the United Kingdom but the origin is the United Kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland...sorry Wales but the South of your country signed over sovreignty to the Normans and the Mid and North were then crushed by Edward's castleation.
Akkad the conquer? I dunno
UK use to be larger but they lost some countries due to obtaining freedoms this or that way, same with locations within countries such as Hong Kong... the queen is nothing more than a figure head anymore, prime minister, parliament, other is what really rules the country now.  the royalty are nothing more than celebrities these days, they don't really do anything important such as govern a nation.
The British Empire was larger but the UK was and is always the native regions of Britain established at the time of Doomsday. The last 'figure head' was Victoria Saxe-Coberg at the time of the Industrial Revolution who ceeded authority to Parliament as she decended into morosity over the death of Albert.

(sorry about the Bold text - can't turn it off)

The 'Empire' came to an end during WWII when Prime Minister Winston Churchill facing the German domination of the European continent agreed to Truman's demands that the Empire be dispanded for the US to join the fight against Hitler rather than deploy the bulk of their forces against Japan. Every industrial secret of Britain was also gifted to the US as part of the deal...nope it wasn't aliens that boosted the development of the US after the war it was a combination of these secrets and captured German scientists.
Just like you have America, not Themerica. Shrug 
If you don't get it, you'll never get it. I wouldn't worry yourself.
Good for you, I suppose.
Comment hidden
Well, they can use Great Britain too.
kingdom
/ˈkɪŋdəm/
1. a country, state, or territory ruled by a king or queen.
lol funny because they are now ruled by Pakistanis.
Not sure were you get that idea...okay there's an old joke that they have their corner stores but that's true in other parts of the world.

What is rarely reported is that Westminister Palace (the home of English democracy) is currently being refurbished by Saudi interests and part of the contract of repair is that the area be subject to Sharia law which Blair, Cameron and now May all have aquiesced to.
england has had many monarchs. both men and women. some words are masculin, others are feminin. human. not huwoman. mankind. not womankind. fighter not fitress

plz stop with this political correctness
I was making a joke.
hahaha thats just like the word for norwegian .
here we call people from norway Nordmænd = meaning North Men ! and belive me i have asked why its not north woman XD

The united kingdom of great britian and Northern Ireland (in its full name) refers to the political union, between Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The UK is a sovereign state, but the nations that make it up are also countries in their own right.
The United Kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland and the nations are governed (Ireland reduced to Northern Irish territories only in the last century) by the English parliament of Westminister with limited governance being given to Scotland and Wales in recent years...NIreland is currently administered by Westminister and the DUP.

Given your Norse knowledge you should know that Wales is a Norse term and not a nice one either, the proper term for the region is Cwmru.
It is the Disunited Queendom.
Even better ! :D (Big Grin) 
This idea should be prompted to feminists. It will be fun.