"Obama did it too" is a bad excuse.

Or rather, I think its a real bad excuse in concerns of Trump.

During the Campaign, and early months, Trump supporters were all on about how "Trump's going to drain the swamp" and "Trump is not a politician" and "Trump did more Obama did".

And now there's a big turn around, and supporters are more or less admitting he's little different than Obama, the President they hated?  Boo diddy.

A particular sore point, is Trump withdrawing US forces (wait, how'd they get in over there if he wasn't going to war?) since I know lots of people criticized Obama for withdrawing US troops form the Middle East (something that many people demanded of Obama) which was a part of the cause for ISIS....

I don't have "Trump derangement syndrome" so much as I have "grumpy, undying, Trump hype backlash".

I know, this isn't about any particular event or news link, just saying what I've been thinking for a while.  OnlytheGhost's recent bozo-posts was the camel-breaking straw.
Comments36
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Trump is a symptom of the main problem in America: Where are the adults?
The leaders on both sides believe "It's their way or the highway" and that to compromise is a sign of weakness.
As much of a racist old troll that President Johnson was, he would make efforts to pass what he wanted passed, including compromising with members of the Republican Party, even if he would later complain that then Senator Gerald Ford "Obviously played football without a helmet." 
The fellow you hate will not always be wrong. The fellow you love will not always be right.
Things seem to be so convoluted that a few years ago, when I still listened to talk radio, Glenn Beck claimed that Richard Nixon was a liberal. Said similar about George H W Bush.
Probably because they "adulted" and compromised with their opposition. Also, Barbara Bush, the wife of George H W, was PRO CHOICE, regarding abortion. Imagine the back lash now if Mrs Trump had claimed she was.
I reside in the reddest part of a red state and hear and read on social media all the time "If Trump is not your president then GTF OUT!" or similar nonsense. "Our team is always right." 
NO team is always right. 
All I want to see, sometime before I pass on, is to see adults back in charge again.
Of course Trump derangement syndrome is a thing.  The orange bastard was hyping the birther conspiracy before he took office, fuck him and his whole family
Trump supporters often labor under the misapprehension that Democrats, and the left in general, approved of everything Obama did, and therefore if he did something it's hypocritical of them to complain should Trump does the same.

As it happens, not only does Trump imitate Obama rather less often than is sometimes claimed -- or if he does, then he takes something bad done under the Obama administration and finds a way to make it worse -- but the basic assumption is not true. Obama was constantly criticized by the left. It's just that the nonsense complaints from the right -- birtherism, tan suit, "coffee salute", etc. -- tended to drown them out in the popular media.
Obama.was constantly.criticized by the left? Lmao

I am proposing forum drug tests to post here
That's an excellent example, thanks.
If you recall,this entire forum and leftists at large supported bombing Syria in 2013
It's whataboutism.

It's failure to acknowledge faults, and instead points at the faults of others.
I really hate whataboutism. The most laziest deflection tactic used by Trump and his supporters.
Obama wasn't even that bad tbh. Same goes for Trump. People on both sides enjoy egging on America's modern-day presidents nowadays. Sure, things get done here and there, but can't people be happy that the USA is great, whoever sits on that seat. I think we've all gone too deep as politics has become engraved in our lives.
How about that laughable "war on the free press", it's not even "Obama did it too" it's more like "Obama did it, Trump did not"

And don't get me started on the race-baiting. Trump is supposedly the wacist one, but Obama got away with pretending like his son is somewhat similar to one of the thugs black lies matter had chosen to champion, when literally the only common trait was their skin color and sex.

He also perpetuated lies like the wage gap.
Oh yes, Obama did partake in being dicks to the Free Press.

I don't recall him ever having a son.  I thought he just had two daughters?

You mean the gender-wage gap?
Obama never had a son, the Frenchman is poorly educated in these matters.
Yeah aka the biggest myth that won't die

Forgot a juicy one, how about helping Russia? Obama gave up half of the US's uranium production to a Russian firm
Must've forgotten this one due to how completely annihilated the muh Russians conspiracy theory just was
BartonDH has a point. Most Trumpists who use this argument are trying to point to some perceived hypocrisy. They're doing it basically to one-up or "own" the libs. "Well you hate it when Trump does it, but what about...?"

It doesn't really give you much ground to stand on, since if you admit e.g. that Obama had the family detainment policy in place in the last couple years of his presidency, then you would also have to admit that Democrats largely aren't the "open borders" caricature you've concocted.
Trumps national emergency is to protect the law

Obama's was done to break it

You guys are so bad at nuance and reality.
I know Obama made a travel ban, and deported people.  Maybe more than Bush, though I also heard Obama may have inflated his own deportation numbers by deporting the same people repeatedly. 
Been a while since I researched this issue, but IIRC there was an uptick in people crossing the southern border, esp families, which forced him to take some kind of action. But it has been pointed out also that many Democrats in Congress previously supported more fencing/barriers along the southern border. Obama initially supported more fencing in his 2008 presidential campaign.
OnlytheGhost is beyond reason. He and his likes are fucking scary and dangerous. Brings to mind crazies like Cesar Sayoc.
People usually make arguments like that just to show the hypocrisy of some individuals, put the name of any president for X and Y "when X did it, you didn't care about it, or you supported it, but now Y is president does it, and suddenly the same actions are now a problem, a crime or the end of democracy".

So i understand the sentiment a 100%, because it is very hypocritical to base your support on an arguably bad decision just because X did it and you like him, so when Y does it you don't like him, so it's time to bring him down for the same actions.

It happens in almost every country on America that is divided by left and right.
Comment Flagged as Spam