White House pulls CNN press pass after news conference.

White House pulls CNN press pass after news conference.
Wednesday, November 7, 2018.

:bulletred: In a stunning break with protocol, the White House said Wednesday night that it's suspending CNN chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta's hard pass "until further notice." The move came just hours after Acosta drew the ire of President Trump and his allies by asking multiple questions at a post-midterms news conference. Trump insulted Acosta and called him a "terrible" person.

:bulletred: White House press secretary Sarah Sanders announced in a statement that Acosta would be stripped of what's known as a "hard pass," which gives him access to the White House grounds.

Around the same time, Acosta was stopped at the White House's Pennsylvania Avenue gate where reporters usually enter. He was heading back to the White House for a live shot on "Anderson Cooper 360."

Reporters who regularly cover the White House are routinely granted "hard passes" to ease entry and exit to the White House grounds. It is unclear whether Acosta will be granted some other sort of entry pass for his work. But on Wednesday night, he was turned away at the gate.

:bulletred: Wednesday's action by the White House is a sharp escalation of tensions between the Trump administration and CNN. It immediately stirred concerns within the White House press corps.

Peter Baker, the chief White House correspondent for The New York Times, said on Twitter, "This is something I've never seen since I started covering the White House in 1996. Other presidents did not fear tough questioning."

The White House Corespondents Association, which advocates on behalf of the press corps, is expected to issue a statement later on Wednesday night. CNN is also expected to release a statement about the incident.

:bulletred: Acosta has been one of the most aggressive reporters on the White House beat, winning him huge numbers of fans but also huge numbers of critics.

On Wednesday afternoon pro-Trump media outlets were full of stories alleging that Acosta had mistreated the White House aide who tried to take a microphone away from him at the press conference. Sanders repeated this assertion in her statement. "President Trump believes in a free press and expects and welcomes tough questions of him and his Administration," she said. "We will, however, never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a White House intern. This conduct is absolutely unacceptable."

CNN producer Allie Malloy responded to Sanders via Twitter: "This is a complete lie. The woman grabbed Jim's arm repeatedly. He never once touched her. In fact at one point @ Acosta tells her politely 'pardon me, mam' as she's yanking on his arm." Acosta also tweeted that Sanders' description of the incident was a "lie."

:bulletpink: 1 - Your thoughts?

:bulletpink: 2 - Does the Whitehouse have the right to pull any reporter's pass for political reasons or because they don't like the questions being asked? Why or why not?

:bulletpink: 3 - Does this set a dangerous precedent wherein the president can pick and choose which reporters have access and can ask questions? Why or why not?

:bulletpink: 4 - Do Trump's actions infringe on the rights and freedoms of the free press? Why or why not?
Comments188
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The white house and trump are both patterns of a progressively racist system.
Acosta was a waste of a press pass, trying to have a personal debate rather than pose meaningful questions and let the other reporters have their turn.
Nonsense. Acosta asked tough questions that the president obviously was incapable of answering.
Nonsense, Acosta has been rude and obnoxious and got what he deserved. 
The president is frequently rude and obnoxious, why not bar him from the white house too?
This kind of defence is pretty funny. It's the press' job to be rude and confrontational.

It's pretty bizarre how we've entered a world where the press must handle politicians with kid gloves. I recall not long ago (before Trump's presidency) that that wasn't the case at all. Last I checked in a sane world a politician crying about mean press would be mocked and told to go home.

It's also pretty ironic that the one side yammering on about how feelings don't matter keep crying at every little nasty thing said about their precious president and increasingly use emotions to win arguments over facts.
Really?

Being rude to other members of the press in acceptable? 
The press were rude to the government all the time. It's really wimpy and hypocritical for the emotions-don't-matter brigade to talk of rudeness. Really?
View all replies
"Acosta has been rude and obnoxious"

Trump has been rude and obnoxious to almost everyone.

What does he deserve?
Voters get to decide that in 2020
They already decided, and gave the House back to the Dems who no doubt are going to investigate and release information on just about about everything.
View all replies
Trump was acting like a baby because when he’s criticized especially for the right reasons, he talks back like the arrogant sack of dogshit he is.

also, I saw the video over a hundred times. I saw Acosta calmly shooing that White House aid away before giving her the mic.

Anybody remember President Obama treating the folks at Fux News the same way?
I don't understand why he has to insult people. If he doesn't want to answer a question then just don't answer it. No need to put people down for asking.

Also, as the president if the US, it's part of your job to answer questions. It just goes with the territory. Don't take the job if you can't handle reporters asking questions.
Yet another dictatorial action by the Trump regime.
Displeasing my father has its consequences. 
Is it bad to enjoy the CNN worshipers crying? 
Or, you know, people who know a vigorous press with room to question is a sign of a healthy country and want to preserve that.

A press shouted to silence, well, that's a sign of something else.
The US doesn't have a vigorous press, we have a propaganda filled media looking to make political points. 
Acosta deserves the iron-pipe treatment. 
That depends, do you enjoy a free press?
How sweet you think we have a free press.  Kicking out one obnoxious, crybaby, jackass from the White House pool isn't going to change things.