Shop Forum More Submit  Join Login

Details

November 7
Link

Statistics

Replies: 182

White House pulls CNN press pass after news conference.

:iconpiggies-go-moo:
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
White House pulls CNN press pass after news conference.
Wednesday, November 7, 2018.

:bulletred: In a stunning break with protocol, the White House said Wednesday night that it's suspending CNN chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta's hard pass "until further notice." The move came just hours after Acosta drew the ire of President Trump and his allies by asking multiple questions at a post-midterms news conference. Trump insulted Acosta and called him a "terrible" person.

:bulletred: White House press secretary Sarah Sanders announced in a statement that Acosta would be stripped of what's known as a "hard pass," which gives him access to the White House grounds.

Around the same time, Acosta was stopped at the White House's Pennsylvania Avenue gate where reporters usually enter. He was heading back to the White House for a live shot on "Anderson Cooper 360."

Reporters who regularly cover the White House are routinely granted "hard passes" to ease entry and exit to the White House grounds. It is unclear whether Acosta will be granted some other sort of entry pass for his work. But on Wednesday night, he was turned away at the gate.

:bulletred: Wednesday's action by the White House is a sharp escalation of tensions between the Trump administration and CNN. It immediately stirred concerns within the White House press corps.

Peter Baker, the chief White House correspondent for The New York Times, said on Twitter, "This is something I've never seen since I started covering the White House in 1996. Other presidents did not fear tough questioning."

The White House Corespondents Association, which advocates on behalf of the press corps, is expected to issue a statement later on Wednesday night. CNN is also expected to release a statement about the incident.

:bulletred: Acosta has been one of the most aggressive reporters on the White House beat, winning him huge numbers of fans but also huge numbers of critics.

On Wednesday afternoon pro-Trump media outlets were full of stories alleging that Acosta had mistreated the White House aide who tried to take a microphone away from him at the press conference. Sanders repeated this assertion in her statement. "President Trump believes in a free press and expects and welcomes tough questions of him and his Administration," she said. "We will, however, never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a White House intern. This conduct is absolutely unacceptable."

CNN producer Allie Malloy responded to Sanders via Twitter: "This is a complete lie. The woman grabbed Jim's arm repeatedly. He never once touched her. In fact at one point @ Acosta tells her politely 'pardon me, mam' as she's yanking on his arm." Acosta also tweeted that Sanders' description of the incident was a "lie."

:bulletpink: 1 - Your thoughts?

:bulletpink: 2 - Does the Whitehouse have the right to pull any reporter's pass for political reasons or because they don't like the questions being asked? Why or why not?

:bulletpink: 3 - Does this set a dangerous precedent wherein the president can pick and choose which reporters have access and can ask questions? Why or why not?

:bulletpink: 4 - Do Trump's actions infringe on the rights and freedoms of the free press? Why or why not?

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconbat22:
Bat22 Featured By Owner 2 days ago
Acosta was a waste of a press pass, trying to have a personal debate rather than pose meaningful questions and let the other reporters have their turn.
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Nonsense. Acosta asked tough questions that the president obviously was incapable of answering.
:iconxerxes61:
Xerxes61 Featured By Owner 2 days ago
Nonsense, Acosta has been rude and obnoxious and got what he deserved. 
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner 1 hour ago
The president is frequently rude and obnoxious, why not bar him from the white house too?
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner 4 hours ago
This kind of defence is pretty funny. It's the press' job to be rude and confrontational.

It's pretty bizarre how we've entered a world where the press must handle politicians with kid gloves. I recall not long ago (before Trump's presidency) that that wasn't the case at all. Last I checked in a sane world a politician crying about mean press would be mocked and told to go home.

It's also pretty ironic that the one side yammering on about how feelings don't matter keep crying at every little nasty thing said about their precious president and increasingly use emotions to win arguments over facts.
Xerxes61 Featured By Owner 3 hours ago
Really?

Being rude to other members of the press in acceptable? 
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner 3 hours ago
The press were rude to the government all the time. It's really wimpy and hypocritical for the emotions-don't-matter brigade to talk of rudeness. Really?
Xerxes61 Featured By Owner 2 hours ago
Not in the US
"Acosta has been rude and obnoxious"

Trump has been rude and obnoxious to almost everyone.

What does he deserve?
Voters get to decide that in 2020
They already decided, and gave the House back to the Dems who no doubt are going to investigate and release information on just about about everything.
We'll see. 
Because actually helping everyday Americans always comes in as the least important thing to do for any politician of any party. *sigh*
(1 Reply)
:iconmiletich2:
miletich2 Featured By Owner Edited 2 days ago
Trump was acting like a baby because when he’s criticized especially for the right reasons, he talks back like the arrogant sack of dogshit he is.

also, I saw the video over a hundred times. I saw Acosta calmly shooing that White House aid away before giving her the mic.

Anybody remember President Obama treating the folks at Fux News the same way?
I don't understand why he has to insult people. If he doesn't want to answer a question then just don't answer it. No need to put people down for asking.

Also, as the president if the US, it's part of your job to answer questions. It just goes with the territory. Don't take the job if you can't handle reporters asking questions.
Ragerancher Featured By Owner 2 days ago
Yet another dictatorial action by the Trump regime.
So it seems. :hmm:
:iconcovfefe:
covfefe Featured By Owner 3 days ago
Displeasing my father has its consequences. 
Xerxes61 Featured By Owner 3 days ago
Is it bad to enjoy the CNN worshipers crying? 
:iconzarvona:
Zarvona Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Student Artist
Acosta deserves the iron-pipe treatment. 
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That depends, do you enjoy a free press?
How sweet you think we have a free press.  Kicking out one obnoxious, crybaby, jackass from the White House pool isn't going to change things. 
"you think we have a free press"

We do. Prove me wrong.
It's a propaganda machine not a free press. 
It can be both, or not. I mean it really depends on who we're talking about and what/how they're reporting.

Personally, I wish media/news entities were forced to make a much clearer distinction between their entertainment and news divisions. For instance if you ever watch FOX's main 'cable' TV station, then it's like a serious case of bi-polar disorder which changes every hour or so. You get an hour of hard news then an hour of various opinionating that often contradicts the hard news. It's so weird. And FOX isn't (obviously) the only ones doing this. They really need to sort this out because it's all muddied together. Whereas it didn't used to be like this apparently - there wasn't all of this opinion crap mixed in with the news and where there was opinions, it was either explicitly stated as an editorial or those doing the opinionating were actually experts in whatever was being discussed.

At least, that's how it seems to me at the moment. :hmm:
:iconkawaiiruby235:
KawaiiRuby235 Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Student General Artist
This might because I think almost anything trump does is completely ridiculous, but yeah. This is unacceptable.
Obama did it too. 
Well, It sucks if he did too, but I still think trump is a moron :-)
Trump's Eyebrows 
Oh my 0-0
:iconikrines:
IKrines Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Trump can't ban anybody he don't likes at White House Conferences, just because they ask questions, well Journalist's job is to ask questions. Really, Trump? You have already banned Journalists from Washington Post and New York Times.
In any other western democracy that would be scandalous to do.
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
We in the US like to chastise other countries for infringing on press freedoms and yet our own president is doing just that.
:iconikrines:
IKrines Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, that is result of shutting down a Council for good Press ethics first, digging trenches in political system next, load the cannons and making the press give up good ethics for the sake of money and accidently end up helping a maniac in succeding being president. Sadly I don't think the press, nor politicans realise that they made a perfect recipe for disaster.
:icondyscalculie:
Dyscalculie Featured By Owner Edited 4 days ago  Professional Traditional Artist
I saw that scene on tv. Acosta didn't touch the woman; if that's what he's accused of, it's just not true. The girl was ordered to rob him of the microphone, and he wouldn't give it to her because he hadn't been answered properly, and Trump just wouldn't answer and instead started insulting him in his typically childish way. 'You're a terrible person, and CNN should be ashamed to employ you" and stuff like that. So undignified... and it's not an answer.

In fact, I've seen him do that many times: as soon as anyone asks him a question that's not something he likes, he gets angry and attacks either the person himself, or the organisation he represents. Or calls everything he doesn't like "fake news". But he never ever really gives a proper answer or an argument that can be seen as relevant.
When he fired one of his coworkers because this person wouldn't jump when he whistles, or refused to enfringe the law or cover up the investigations on his tax frauds or corruption by Russia, he says "he wasn't doing a good job". That's not a reason, is it?

Whatever it is about, he always sounds like an argumentative child. 
This is just no president. A president of a democratic state should be able to handle opposition, that's the essence of democracy!
"A president of a democratic state should be able to handle opposition"

Or at least answer some tough questions. :nod:
:icondyscalculie:
Dyscalculie Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Professional Traditional Artist
At the very least...
:iconkukkikeki:
kukkikeki Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Looks like Trump found a way to not only block everyone online. But now in real life!
Indeed.
:iconextraterrestrialarts:
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner Edited 4 days ago  Professional General Artist
This is an indicator of Trump going into Dictator Mode 2.0
You have some media for or against... I prefer media that isn't politically bias and just reports facts and events.
Fox and CNN BOTH report a mix of facts and BS...
Thats why it is best to look at all of them and you soon see what is what.
The two party system is a circus.
Zarvona Featured By Owner 2 days ago  Student Artist
Good. 
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner 1 day ago  Professional General Artist
you would have to be insane to believe it as being good.
Zarvona Featured By Owner 1 day ago  Student Artist
Anything that results in fake news media getting owned is always a good thing. 
:iconjcoolarts:
JCoolArts Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Bias hate is something I can get behind.
Although I long for robotic journalism, that strips out all hyperbole, buzzwords and illogical falsehoods/twistings, for now, I can only recommend these 2 sources.

www.newsy.com/
www.realclearpolitics.com/

Just found these this week. So far they seem to at least make an effort to keep their biases in check.
Ragerancher Featured By Owner 2 days ago
No website is unbiased. The best bet is to have multiple sources, ideally pick ones you know have slight biases in opposite directions rather than trying to find an "unbiased" source. Generally a person is more likely to think something is unbiased when it fits what they already believe so you have to make a choice to intentionally view sites that you know have a slight bias the other way.

I say slight as sources with a known extreme bias don't simply twist stories but will outright lie. There is nothing of worth to be gained from something like Breitbart or Fox for example. 
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Professional General Artist
I doubt it... it appears to be more pro-red(republican) , in other-words it isn't a nice balanced purple 
No, no site is unfortunately. Do you know of a more center leaning site than newsy? I'm open to checking some out.
Use your brain. browse every thing and don't rely on opinion of a website of selected news. Let your consciousness be your guide. 
Doesn't quite answer the question of your opinion on the most center leaning sites, but nobody is forcing you to answer.
I've been checking multiple sources ever since I was subjected to daily 6 hour blocks of CNN due to an elderly person's fondness of the channel.
My general consciousness tells me that all news is potentially depressing, and most of it is completely irrelevant to my life, unless I wish to engage someone who wants to discuss it, which is a rarity nowadays.
It does.
:iconrs9311:
Rs9311 Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
LiveLeak?
Add a Comment: