the loss of PRIVACY

My daughter asked me today about Princess Diana. She's 9. I explained to her about who she was, how she's still important, the legacy she left and finally how she died. I found myself going on about after her death, there was a refocus on how important privacy was.

As the Internet has turned all of us into our own brands (which can make us each seem prideful regarding items like religion and politics), I found myself struck that my daughter's generation won't know privacy. That privacy has gone to the side-line so that all of voices can be heard. If you abandon things like Facebook, you're actually reclaiming your privacy.

Am I completely off-track here?

What do you think?

Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Maybe you could show her some classic Adventure-Drama series in the future?
I may not share your view, I may could say that people  today are more away that they are watched than they are use to be in the past... it's just that technology evolved in such a way that it was made easier to spy on our lives , but before you have telephone ... maybe for some my comment could look ridiculous but I lived in a country that use to be communist(Ukraine was part of the USSR a.k.a Soviet Union), and the goverment itself was making himself clear that he is watching people, while until wikileaks and Snowden's revelation nobody in the West or mostly, I suppose, was thinking that they are watched... 
That's what I think... 
I don't think the internet has harmed privacy as badly as you're making it out it has. Most people won't really receive much attention should they choose to make an account and that making of an account is entirely of their choosing.

One problem I guess though is controlling businesses wanting to look up social media profiles and considering it odd that someone doesn't have one despite imo it being pretty arrogant and shallow to have one at all and perfectly normal not to be interested in sharing every little dumb thing you do online.
privacy is also being changed, stories that are/were legit being changed to suit the needs of the person/s telling.  there's also some conspiracy theories here and there as well.  but yes, kids these days won't know from yesterday to today all that has been forgotten or ignored.  granted some kids might, after all, not all kids are online and go for all this new age stuff.  but some do and they don't realize how much they are tossing out there, not to mention they aren't being taught about consequences.
uhm... right. "Where's your site..." NO ONE, who cares about you, can't check your own personal website, to see what's up, grab the email off there, and email you, and you write cool things,
build pretty pictures, maybe have a dragon ball z love page, of any picture you found anywhere, that's, INTERNET, you are on the fake internet, it is for hell.

Okay, now,. Windsor is not queen. No, look at where you are. Windsor is not queen. Her son, is called the Lord of Bucking Ham, in ENGLISH, Prince of Wales...

I have NO idea what your Diana story is... there's a different one, about the mother of the CROWN PRINCE, which is, not to be king, he's a sovereign, crown prince, so his sister,
would be a princess, and his mother would be a princess, because he's crown prince... Diana has, 3 children? two are crown prince and princess, right now. I guess it's private, unless you, know how to get to England?

ENGLAND, the queen has to be England. "England the Queen" WINDSOR is never, ever, England. but she will say, Great Brittain, and say it's not England anymore,
right it was never England. She's mafia

PROTECT your identity, and use, millions of names
I think you can create many fake identities and confuse the shit out of the surveillance totalitarian technological dictatorship ruling upon us :evillaugh:
You don't reclaim your privacy by cutting yourself off from social media.  

You reclaim your privacy by first respecting others, and secondly being judicious about what you share.

There's a fairly substantial amount of room between "Put every shit you take on Twitter." and "Have no social media at all."
Technically they'll still know privacy.

Depending on what they choose to do anything.

It's not like we HAVE to broadcast everything we do online anyways.
I blame the Californian monopolies on technology and media
Your little story tell us how legends are born.  Some people make an impression on those around them and they are never forgotten, and their stories end up by one old generation to the next.
If one had the will power to dump every device, and whenever they had to use the computer for something they went to a kinkos/fedex and paid for only the time they needed on, one could live a fairly private life. If someone wanted to take it even further and get themselves lost in the Appalachian mountains, or in a cave waaaaay up in the superstition mountains, they could live a long, yet very secluded life, without ever seeing anyone for 10 years or more. That's alot of privacy there.
But the fact of the matter is, whenever you're in public, you're seldom more than 20 ft away from a camera, be it in a phone or a store or on a street.. So technically, even if you got off of all websites, you yourself could still be uploaded onto those websites.