Link

Statistics

Replies: 234

You may not gnaw on your kitty.

:iconpiggies-go-moo:
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
US House bans eating of cats and dogs.
September 12, 2018

:bulletred: Democrats and Republicans have united to try and stop people from eating their pets.
    ...and if you just went, "What... !?", then you are not alone!
:bulletred: The US House passed a bill Wednesday by voice vote banning the slaughter, transportation, sale and possession of dogs and cats for consumption.

The "Dog and Cat Meat Trade Prohibition Act of 2018" was sponsored by Republican Rep. Vern Buchanan and Democratic Rep. Alcee Hastings, both of Florida.

Buchanan wrote in his statement about the bill that 44 states do not have laws banning consumption of cats and dogs, adding that this practice "should be outlawed completely given how beloved these animals are for most Americans." California, Georgia, Hawaii, Michigan, New York and Virginia are the six states that explicitly ban cat and dog consumption. "Dogs and cats provide love and companionship to millions of people and should not be slaughtered and sold as food," Buchanan said.

After the bill passed, Hastings released a statement discussing the importance of the bill and urging the Senate to take it up.

:bulletred: The bill also prevents foreign and interstate trade of cats and dogs for consumption purposes. However, there is an exception to this rule for Indian tribes. The bill declares that Indian tribes can engage in this behavior "for the purpose of a religious ceremony."

:bulletred: The maximum penalty for eating cats and dogs is $5,000.

www.cbsnews.com/news/house-ban…

:bulletgreen: H.R.6720 - Dog and Cat Meat Trade Prohibition Act of 2018 - www.congress.gov/bill/115th-co…
:bulletpink: 1 - Was there some sort of epidemic of cat and dog eating that I've simply missed hearing about?

:bulletpink: 2 - Do we actually need this law?

:bulletpink: 3 - Do our lawmakers really have nothing better to do with their time than to tell us not to eat our kitties!?

How bout no!  (Dr. Evil Chat Icon)

:bulletpink: 4 - Have you ever eaten your dog or cat?

:bulletpink: 5 - If you are a Native American, will you be eating your dog or cat? :stare:

:bulletpink: 6 - Do other animals also deserve such "protection" and if so, which ones and how do we choose?

Dr. Evil - Icon Kitty rup eye plz 

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaspiepiestamps:
AspiePieStamps Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2018  Student Digital Artist
I am veggie so you can feel small now that you eat any meat.... Arab Yogurt Cheese is delish and a great source of protein? 
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"Arab Yogurt Cheese"

Is that made from Arabs? :paranoid:
:iconzpnn:
zpnn Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
they take up all of the time with this so they wont work on real problems like the rampant homophobia/transphobia or their multiple laws broken """""""president"""""""" (aka puppet)
Yogurt Cheese... It... Tasty...
:iconzpnn:
zpnn Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
whats your favorite kind of alcohol if you answer wrong you're immediately dead to me
:iconrobstrand:
RobStrand Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2018
Bad news to back alley Korean BBQ places.
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This legislation is bad for small businesses! :ohnoes:
:iconrestless-nightshade:
Restless-Nightshade Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2018  Student General Artist
Wh- I-I mean, I'm glad that dog and cat eating is banned, they're too precious and close to humanity to be food, but I thought there was some unspoken rule already? People should not eat rex or sir-fluffybottom... ever Stare 
"sir-fluffybottom"

Soon to be no longer available as an appetizer.
:iconrestless-nightshade:
Restless-Nightshade Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2018  Student General Artist
Good, lol
:icontattorack:
Tattorack Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Ok... firstly: ........ wut?
Secondly: ... like.... WUT!?
Thirdly: What's the logic behind the ban? I mean, people are still allowed to eat eggs (undeveloped baby chickens), lamb (sheep children) and bunny rabbits. I don't see why they draw the line at cats and dogs.
The fact that they think we actually need this law is rather disturbing. I mean really, what are they not telling us?

Did they just discover that most chicken nuggets or fish sticks or hotdogs are really kitties and puppies ...or what? :paranoid:
I don't even know. Before today I didn't even know that was a problem.
Yeah, I had no idea that this was such a big deal that we now needed new legislation to address it. :O_o:
:iconikrines:
IKrines Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't care what people eat, solong it is not human flesh or something containing diseases that can transfer between humans or even just from human to animal.
"from human to animal"

Wouldn't that imply that its the animal eating humans? :paranoid:
:iconikrines:
IKrines Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
No, dieases tranfering between mmmals
:iconninefirestar:
NineFireStar Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2018   General Artist
And how about these?

Lamb by NineFireStar Calf by NineFireStar Chicken by NineFireStar

Are they more worthy of having your teeth sunk into their flesh?

If you eat any milk, egg, veal, chicken or lamb-products, you're paying to have them killed.
No actually you can buy cruelty free milk at certain places?
NineFireStar Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2018   General Artist
Unless the cow is roaming around free in a forest (and isn't one of the kinds that has had its functional physicality destroyed by decades of selective breeding etc), and happens to walk in to freely give you its milk in spite of having a calf (that hasn't been taken away from it) drinking that milk (which stops coming after the calf is gone), you're not free of constraints and violations and all of the other evils.

So no, you can't.
:iconlegio-x:
Legio-X Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2018  Professional Writer
Yum.

"If you eat any milk...you're paying to have them killed."

Have you ever been outside a city?  It doesn't seem like you understand how milking works.  
NineFireStar Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2018   General Artist
Yes? You are the clueless one. Have a look at the industry.

Every male calf born in the milk industry is sent to be killed.
Legio-X Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2018  Professional Writer
Not "sent to be killed". They're sold, and what happens to them is no longer something the dairy industry has any control over after that point.  Most are raised to adulthood and later slaughtered for beef.  Some are immediately slaughtered for veal, a much smaller market.  You could literally buy them yourself if you wanted.  
Lol, the coward blocked me.  I'll just post the facts here:

Even your animal fanatic allies disagree, NineFire.

www.farmsanctuary.org/learn/fa…

I have actual family experience in this matter.  Dairy farmers don't care where the male calves go, as long as they can get a drain on their resources off their hands.  
They're not sold, they're the wrong kind of breed for the meat industry. Stop assuming things and look into it. Besides, even if it were so, do you think that someone who know fully well what their actions would lead to (e.g. report a jew to the nazis) have no responsibility in the outcome? Excusing a heinous industry by another heinous practice doesn't really work.
:iconseadragon666:
SeaDragon666 Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
They look delicious. :drool:
Tattorack Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I know right? I especially like the whit fluffy one.
Well, let me put it like this:
They're not any LESS worthy. It doen't bother me too much that people are eating cats and dogs. I mean, it's weird, and it's not very nutritional to eat predatory animals, but it would be irrational to say that eating lamb is ok but eating a cat is not.
Easy answer (and ethically sound) - don't eat animals at all.
That's not an easy answer. We're omnivores and to live a healthy life we need a balanced diet of flora and fauna.
And by what right should we exclusively kill plants for sustenance? There is nothing ethically sound about disregarding plants as life forms.
It is an easy answer, omnivorous capacity does not mean a necessity. Vegans are far healthier and perform better.

You are grasping for excuses. Plants are not the same kind of life forms nor do they suffer or feel pain. Some are more crystalline in nature where as outhers outrightly offer fruits as a modus of spreading. There are of course countless more arguments, if stopping barbarism isn't enough of a reason for you.
Legio-X Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2018  Professional Writer
Without supplements and a carefully balanced diet, an omnivorous diet is necessary.  Veganism is only possible for those living in economic privilege.  

Plants may not feel it in the exact same way we do, but they definitely know when they're being eaten:

science.howstuffworks.com/life…

Eating meat--something we're designed to do--is not barbarism.  
No it's not, it's a myth. Vegans life longer, perform better and lead healthier lives. A substantial part of e.g. the Indian population live on vegetables, it's not a matter of economic privilege and doesn't have to be expensive.

As far as health goes, everyone needs a balanced diet, not only vegans. You could get by without supplements if you stopped washing your vegetables and let the bacteria produce B12 in your intestines (which is how all other mammals get B12, no mammal is capable of producing it on their own) - but we live in 2018 and don't need to. Supplements are there for a reason and quite a few other things are supplemented to augment human life (e.g. iodine in salt).

A capacity does not mean an obligation or necessity. You have a capacity kill, steal and pillage as well, that doesn't mean you should. It is barbaric and I hope that humanity will be able to look back upon itself some day and see it for what it is.
Perform better than what?  Somebody who eats fast food frequently?  Obviously someone who doesn't will be living better than the average American.  My great-grandparents lived into their 90s without any significant health problems while consuming a diet that included meat and eggs and dairy products.  

Hindus aren't vegans, though.  They eat dairy products and get necessary nutrients from those animal products.  In summary, they're lacto-vegetarians.  So yes, veganism remains something that's only possible thanks to economic privilege and global trade for the vast majority of our population.

The point is that a vegan diet can be outright and immediately dangerous to your health if not managed correctly.  There are also other nutrients besides B12 that you can't get from just plant products.

More than a capacity, an instinct and a biological structure that's built for it.  

And I say it's not barbaric.  Prove me wrong.  
(2 Replies)
If you eat any vegetables you're paying to have massive numbers of organisms killed - by the pesticides, fertilizers, combines, processors, etc.

Even if you eat any salt then you're paying to have it mined and the environment destroyed.

So perhaps you should just stop eating altogether if it bothers you so much.

But we all know where that leads...
:iconarmorfelix2012:
ArmorFelix2012 Featured By Owner Sep 17, 2018
How about we eat souls? Clean! :evillaugh:
Tattorack Featured By Owner Edited Sep 14, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
There are no statistics, research or any science to support the basic, run of the mill "vegans are healthier" argument.
You'll probably now go and link me a bunch of youtube videos that are based on articles written by other vegans and/or cherry pick certain statements.

That's not grasping for excuses, I'm being genuine about it. "Plants are not the same kind of life", however, is an excuse. They're life. That's what matters.
If you're only concerned about "pain and suffering" then you're simply being pretentious. You're only vegan because it makes you feel better, not because you have any real substantial moral value. Bottom line is, life is life, and all life has a right to live, and should not be disregarded or thought less of simply because you can't anthropomorphise its reaction (yes, plants react to damage).

Oh wait, he blocked me. Well, so much for his confidence in his beliefs :XD:
I was totally reading this wondering why you were responding to me in this way until I got to the last sentence... lol
Tattorack Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Wait, what? No no no no! This wasn't meant for you!
I think I might've accidentally clicked the wrong reply button ^^;
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No worries. :aww:
We've had this discussion before :P
Run your mouse over that emoticon --> :p

lol
lol
:icondr-xiii:
Dr-XIII Featured By Owner Sep 14, 2018   Digital Artist
Why would anyone in the USA want to eat the Cat!?? :iconwthamiseeingplz: Hell No OMG emoticon 
It's a good ubiquitous source of cheap protein? I dunno...
I've seen FAR better source of Protein out on the Pasture of a Farm (Not Horses) in Texas, and Swimming up-stream in Alaska.

* I'm talking about Cows and Salmon.
What about in more urban areas?
Two Little Words: Grocery Store (Like Meijer and Kroger). That's where all the Beef and Fish we eat go to get sold and bought, anyway. There's also a Butcher Shop.
Ever seen that movie Demolition Man?

There's a scene in it where Stalone gets a burger...

Watch this and you'll know what I'm getting at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeyC52…
:facepalm:

THAT is a Work of Fiction.

1. There're so may cows (And bulls) on this planet that it would be TENS of Thousands (or so) of years before they're Extinct, IF we try to drive them into extinction.
2. Read This! and This Article!
Add a Comment: