Details

August 10
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Mike Pence formally proposes the US Space Force to the Pentagon

:iconrockstar1009:
rockstar1009 Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
Yesterday, VP Mike Pence formally proposed a 6th branch of the US military: the Space Force.

"It is not enough to merely have an American presence in space we must have American dominance in space."

And Pence isn't fucking around, either. He said the branch will be established by 2020. A year from now we'll be in the waning part of 2019. Not only is he making America great again, he's making government move at a speed it's not moved at since... well... ever.

What's more, if you're smart enough to be on the Trump campaign donor email list, you have the ability to vote on the logo which shall forever adorn Space Force vehicles and uniforms. Here are the six options being put to a vote:

Personally, I think the Mars Awaits logo is pretty badass, and gives the Marine Corps Globe-and-Anchor insignia a run for its money for utter manliness.

:bulletred: How excited are you to see a new branch of the military forming?

:bulletblue: How proud will you be when your children enlist?

:bulletwhite: Clearly all 6 logos are totally macho, but which one earns your vote?

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:icontinselfire:
Tinselfire Featured By Owner 5 days ago
Pardon my language, but who the fuck designed those logotypes? It looks like they're trying to sell some sort of high-protein yoghurt or something. The "space force" has not even been formed yet and it has already committed an atrocity just by associating with this idiocy.

If someone is willing to die under either of those standards, they need suicide counselling this instant.
rockstar1009 Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist Writer
It's more than likely bait.

Anyone who mocks this rubbish can then be attacked as hating troops and being unpatriotic.
:icontinselfire:
Tinselfire Featured By Owner 3 days ago
The space art community on Deviantart alone makes better space-themed logotypes than this daily. Sometimes for free.

Is there any place to suggest new logos? Seriously, we can't send people into space dressed like this. This is an embarrassment to the dignity of the United States military tradition - and I'm a Swede!
:iconbubsby:
Bubsby Featured By Owner 5 days ago
Not while there are still problems to be solved on Earth, and there are many of them.
:iconaurontsubaki1985:
AuronTsubaki1985 Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Wow, Comrade Trump is really that desperate to create his own Republican Space Rangers. Because 'Murica!
:iconvalzeras:
Valzeras Featured By Owner 5 days ago
:iconmannimarc0:
MANNIMARC0 Featured By Owner 5 days ago
wow, better off just piling the money up and then burning it. 
:iconavskyggene:
AvSkyggene Featured By Owner 5 days ago
Because what the world needed was even more proof the oval office is run by retards.
:iconsquirrels-are-evil:
squirrels-are-evil Featured By Owner Edited 6 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
1)  I'm ashamed that the same administration that cut funding to NASA is proposing a new branch of the military whose budget would, pun fully intended, skyrocket by hundreds of millions of dollars simply to pad the pockets of already rich men in America.

2)  I'd rather my kids enlist in the Air Force.
NASA is populated by highly-educated people, aka Lib-ruhls. Expanding the military while cutting science plays well to his base.
:iconsquirrels-are-evil:
squirrels-are-evil Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Gosh durn books, if God wanted us to go to space he would've put in the Bible

:B
:iconlegio-x:
Legio-X Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Professional Writer
The Air Force and to a lesser extent the Navy can handle the nation's space-based security needs for the foreseeable future.  A new branch won't be necessary until there's a substantial human presence off planet.  
Exactly. When the USMC was spun off from the Navy, the evolution of battlefield tactics proved the time was right for the branch to stand on its own. When Billy Mitchell argued for the creation of an Air Force, the technology was mature enough for a new branch.

Right now, we have neither the need nor the technology for this. Spy satellites are the only real threat in space, and we already have missiles capable of shooting them down. Space-planes are still a nascent-technology (and none of them can yet leave orbit under their own power), and space-based weapons (like Rods from God) are still theoretical.

A Space Force isn't completely unfeasible, but at this precise moment in time it's just a massive money pit, and to establish one now is a completely unnecessary expansion of government and budget. Very swampy.
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
this is basically taking Reagan's idea to a new level, nothing to see here.  sure, we'll have a new "force" but, will it be used to protect us from "alien invasion and/or outer space situations" or will it do what Reagan's "star wars" program did, which protected us from foreign attacks such as during the cold war era.  guess we'll have to wait and see what "plans and directions" they are going.  not to mention the cost, but hey, new jobs that's what matters most right?

great now I have a craving to watch Starship Troopers!
Ronald Ray-gun's Star Wars program was also a vastly-overpriced military program which, in order to be successful, needed tech which was still beyond the horizon, so I agree here.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
This is fucking idiotic. There is no defined mission for the "Space Force". Our military assets in space are already managed by the Air Force Space Command, and there's absolutely no reason to think they're doing a bad job of it. All this will do is to impose an entirely new bureaucratic structure that will cost additional billions of dollars, to no practical purpose whatsoever. At least not for the nation. As far as Trump is concerned, this distracts from his mounting corruption, scandals, and legal problems.

Trump can order the Pentagon around all he likes, but he cannot erect a new military service without authorization from Congress, and if he thinks everything necessary will be in place by 2020 he's on better drugs than I have available.
What I find most amazing about this nonsense is watching the Pentagon balk at an opportunity to spend money.

How often does the Pentagon say "thanks, but no thanks" to free cash?

The best theory I've heard so far is that this is all pageantry; he needs something to give up during negotiations for Border Wall funding (hence why he made Pence make the announcement instead of himself... he can sacrifice a "Pence" project but forfeiting one of his own would be defeat).
:iconextraterrestrialarts:
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner Edited Aug 10, 2018  Professional General Artist
This is most disturbing for me.... I warned people about it during the Trump campaigns that he would militarise space , but did not kow the name would be space force.
This is not making America Great, as America was never great since it was built around bloodshed and genocide of Native Americans. My hope for this planet would be united as one planet, and then explore the stars as one planet and even make freinds and integrate with people around the galaxy and beyond. Not go to war with them, andnot taking pot shots at the flying saucers in the sky to down them to scavenge for technology..
Earth Flag by extraterrestrialarts  
(Flag of the planet Earth)

Bullet; Red I am not excited about it, as I would have rather wished for a space exploration, research, mining asteroids etc in peace, not for war.

Bullet; Blue I would never be proud of them enlisting to war with peaceful extraterrestrials and especially the ones that seeded life on this planet, who vist this planet regulary to see how things are going on this planet.
:iconcactuscowboy:
cactuscowboy Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hell no, it's all about spending money and military contracts. The Trumps are making a killing selling and buying everything they can get their grubby hands on. That's really what defines Trump's "Art of the Deal". Make as much money as they can while they can. It's corruption on a grand scale and they don't give a shit why should they the commander in thief is at the top of heap.

I'm beginning to believe that nothing is going to stop this Administration. How can they all the other republicans are involved in it too.
Trump is a once-in-a-century fluke. We went through it all once before with Andrew Jackson - he bawww'd about a rigged system, got everyone worked up about the brown people living in their neighbourhood and proved to be completely disruptive in office, deporting the natives and bringing the country to the brink of Civil War.

Then a liberal named Lincoln came along and restored order.
:iconasdfkjzsldkfj:
asdfkjzsldkfj Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018  New Deviant
We need to defend ourselves from the Cardassians!
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Edited Aug 10, 2018
www.reddit.com/r/photoshopbatt… Let's go after those Kingons! They can't get away with this sort of thing in our quadrant! Federashum foever!!
:iconjcoolarts:
JCoolArts Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018
Space Force is a stupid idea. So much more can go wrong in space than it can here on earth. One failure...ONE, is all it takes for some serious meltdown and catastrophe to happen. Space should remain a demilitarized zone for the sheer nature of how dangerous it is to be carrying out operations, let alone intentionally combative operations, out in an endless vacuum.
Who's to say a nuclear bomb dropped from space, would not malfunction upon entry and go off in the atmosphere, therefore poisoning us all?

3..2..1.. And we have ignorance! Ignorance has successfully lifted off the ground.
The first time we shot a satellite we discovered just how much debris that produces.

And remember - even a small screw or washer blown off a satellite is orbiting Earth at hundreds of miles per hour, not to mention the larger pieces of pointy shrapnel... each military operation would basically create hundreds of bullets which fly around in near perpetuity.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018
Who/what exactly is this space military even intended to fight or protect the US from?
:iconidklolplz:

Trump clearly feels threatened by intelligent people. It only stands to reason that he'd want to have a way to attack other forms of intelligent life.
:iconjphyper:
Jphyper Featured By Owner Edited Aug 10, 2018
Dangit, Pence... Unlike your boss, you haven't done anything to lose my respect yet. Granted, you haven't done much to earn respect, either, but that's still better than the amount I give Trump. Don't go messing it up now!

We could've had a space force long ago. We've had the technological capabilities for decades. There's a very good reason why we chose not to have one: we know our species can't be trusted with the kind of power that comes with it. Space is supposed to be neutral territory; our progress depends on us keeping it that way as long as possible.
The fact that Trump isn't the one announcing it and handing the job off to Pence makes it all look like a stunt.

Something big - truly groundbreaking - is something Trump would want ALL the credit for.
:icongekkodimoria:
gekkodimoria Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
who cares?
:iconbronzeheart92:
BronzeHeart92 Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018
This makes no sense all thing considered...
:iconeidolon1:
Eidolon1 Featured By Owner Edited Aug 10, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
When that happens everybody else will have their spaceforce too.  But what it looks like to me is that Trump is trying to get around NASA because he doesn't like them studying earth's weather and the effects that industrial pollution is having on it.
Add a Comment: