I Do Not Care If You Are Gay

Before you click away or decide to report this, I suggest you read this in full, take it all in, and judge it based on that. I will not give a single, solitary trigger warning, because I respect the fact that you're an adult and that you can take adult issues in a mature way, that you can face them properly, thicken the skin, and walk away with an experience or two.

So let's get to the point.

I am talking directly to you, new Deviant on my feed or in my comments. Directly.To.You.

I really do not care that you're gay. I have zero interest in who you love, who you like, who you want to be with, etc. Zero interest. I just don't care, and I don't expect you to care about who I love.

I really do not care that you are black. Your skin color is your skin color, mine is mine. I really do not give a single thought about what shade you are, how dark or light your skin is, anything. I really do not care.

I really do not care if you have any disability. It's unfortunate, it always is, but it's your business, just like my shortcomings are mine. I do not care for what you lack in body and mind, nor do I want you do care for what anyone else lacks. I just don't care.

I do not care for any gender you choose, either male, female, or the dozens of fictional ones. Call yourself whatever you want, and I'll call myself whatever I want. Other than that, I just don't care.

And why must I stress that I don't care? Because I am rather bored with reading bios and descriptions that list about fifty of these factoids before giving me anything substantial. Because there are too many "genderqueer pansexual ABDL otherkin ze/zir/zim borderline autistic" people that constantly either send me llamas, like my stuff, comment on forums, etc.

Now read THIS PART HERE, because this part is the crux of the issue. I do not care for Oscar Wilde or Walt Whitman because they like to sleep with men. I do not care for Thelonius Monk because he is black. I do not care for Stephen Hawking because he was in a wheelchair, nor do I give a damn about Blaire White because she used to be a he.

WHAT I CARE ABOUT is very simple. I care for Oscar Wilde and Walt Whitman because they are masters of the written word. I care for Thelonius Monk because his music continues to fascinate me. I care for Stephen Hawking because of his contribution to the world of science. And the same applies here - I do not give a damn what you identify as. I give a damn if you're a good artist. I want to see your merit first hand.

That is why I have furry art, nudes of both gender, written works of the LGBT folks, etc. in my favorites folder. Because I loved the art presented. 

And this is why I am speaking directly to you, Deviant who is reading this. If you want my respect, you will not earn it for physical attributes that you cannot really change. You will earn my respect if your art is good, if you have a skillset that crushes the competition, i.e. if you're damn good.

I do not hate you, mainly because I would have to know you to either love or hate you. And it is precisely because this might be misconstrued as hatred that this post is here, in politics, and is this long. I just want you to know this going forward, because that's how the world out there will judge you. Actual hatred exists, of course, but the people that practice it openly and regularly are few and far between. My honest advice to you is not to focus on that part of your bio - race, gender, sexuality, ableness, etc. - but rather on your art skills. Hone them, work on them, and become the single greatest artist the world has ever know.

In the meantime, I will still not care that you are gay. I will, however, care plenty for that painting of yours, to the point of actually buying it and hanging it on my bedroom wall.

Thank you.  
Comments186
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I must say, I completely agree with you. I'm so tired of all this "respect me because [insert gender, sexual orientation, skin color or religion here]"
First of all, respect is not given away freely just like that. However, I do think we all have a certain amount of respect for anyone we interact with from the start. And from there it can either go up or down.
Just like I do now. I treat you with respect and hopefully you will do the same. But I can never demand it. However, If you treat me in a somewhat common courtesy I will do the same.
That is a mutual respect shared with each other.

People should be judged for their merits, skills and to some extent  - personality. I do not give a shit about your skin color, gender, or this or that. In other words, shallow things that has no value or meaning.
If you're decent, kind and contributing to the larger picture, I am your friend and ally. But if you are idiot who thinks it important to bring up shallow external attributes, I am your enemy and I will treat you like an idiot.
Thank you for your input, Jessica.

I do have to stress that I don't see people as enemies unless they directly want to hurt me. A snowflake constantly going on about genders and other listed attributes can make me cringe, entertain me, or even anger me, but I would not treat them as enemies, because a person really has to do something abominable to me to be declared as such. Because at the end of the day, the snowflake in question isn't harming me or anyone close to me. If and when they do, they become enemies. Until then, they're just people I disagree with and try not to pay attention to. 
I hope you understand that my post wasn't aimed towards you in anyway. It just hit me that I kept saying "you" but I meant it like people in general.
In fact I have read all the posts in this thread, and I really agree with you overall.
And I really agree with your post about only reading a title of the book and then judge the whole book on that. And I say that as someone who has the diagnose ADD (similar to ADHD but without the hyperactivity).
But to me, context matters. Even tho my whole body may itch from boredom or not being able to sit still when I read or watch something. I still suffer through it, before I make up my mind to comment.
Otherwise it will just make me look like an idiot trying to talk about something without having any knowledge about it.

I do sightly disagree tho when you say that snowflakes doesn't harm you. That may not harm you directly, but they may harm you indirectly. 
Just look at whats going on with any form of art such as gaming, movies, music, but also news and politics - you name it. 
And very young people are also very........ (damn, I can't remember the word since English is not my native language, but easy to influence I guess), and will likely walk around and spread the same garbage and just keep the cancer growing. Which is why I think it's in important to teach these younglings to think for themselves and also teach them to judge people not for their genders or other external attributes.

Because one day, the very thing you enjoy the most, might be taken away from you because a few years earlier, some fragile snowflake didn't like it and decided to make a huge deal about it, and it kept growing until it knocked on your door. 
No worries, I know you don't mean me specifically. It's cool.

And yes, some snowflake will inevitably lead to someone suffering from damage, but that's not the overall case. Most of these folks that spout nonsense about fifty-seven genders and sexualities keep it to their little circle of friends, if any, and those right there are largely harmless.

All in all, the best way to deal with it is to keep on creating and keep on fighting for freedom of speech and expression, despite someone being offended. Once more, thank you for your input and have a good day.

P. S. The word you're looking for is "susceptible."
I'm different and so is my mind.

My Bio is Short, and no im not going to go into my whole life story, and make my private life public for all to read. I do have standards, my life is private and will remain so.

I can maybe understand some people feel that they must speak every ounce of their whole life story.

However what is up with going on about private matters, example, what gender you choose to be etc, well that is your business and no one else's, why are you obsessed to let the whole world know about your gender preference if you are truly comfortable with your choice, why flaunt around as if demanding people accept it too.  some will accept other will not. does this mean they are racist?

No, it's like friendship. common sense not everyone is going to be friends. some will be your friend and some will not. Be happy with the people who chose to be your friend, and stop crying about the ones who choose not to be your friend, and get on with your life  People.

I have lack of understanding on what you are saying, however, I feel you like to see more people focus on their creations weather Traditional or Digital art, whether they are in the process of storytelling. Photography. Making movies or 3D art poetry...and other unique artistic talents.

You rather read about peoples hopes and dreams, goals in life, their achievements, challenges, and lessons on their creations journey in life.

some people keep their Bio Simple, however, some people go to far.

sad how we live in a society that is obsessed letting the globe know everything in their private life.  Its like they are crying for the world to accept them.  yes, some people in the world will accept your choices in life however not everyone will.

My friends are based on those who accept me just the way I am, not the ones demanding I change to please them.

Yup off track, however, that is just me I'm odd and different. 

Hugs Friend..

Thank you for that lengthy input. Here's hoping you grow as an artist even more, and here's hoping that you surround yourself with lots of creative, silly, go-getter folks with kind hearts. 
Sad how we live in a society where people are too narrow-minded to think for themselves. 

However, it is a blessing to come across people like you, who are not chicken to tell it like it is.

You are going to have people who agree, disagree and people who will give you hell over daring to post such a topic.

Been there, went through what you are going through, even had family say I think too much. I Just respond I rather think for myself than not think at all.

My Mother always Says this,
And this is very true.
Be thankful for what you have,
For others have very few.
Whether you are Wealthy,
Or very very poor.
There are people out there,
With nothing more.
Yet they are still thankful,
For the little that they have.
So always keep in thought,
Be thankful For what you got.

Yes, I wrote this poem, my Mother was the inspiration in my life to write this piece.

Sad how society loses sigh into the truth, they are so stuck in their own little world, they do not even bother to think outside the box. stop quibbling about your life and just realize, no matter how hard life is there are others worse off than you.

I believe what you are trying to say to others is, Stop obsessing about every detail about your life.  and focus on your work to move it further to the level of succession.  all the people you talked about did not obsess over their personal life, and quibble on forever, they chose a path, worked really hard and became a legend of great achievement. 

Like I said I'm a weirdo, oddball in my family, yet I'm working on 4 movies 3 tv series.

here is an example...

The Story of Crystal Frost.

When an Earth pony is rescued By a Dragon, they fall in love, when she later reveals she is pregnant, knowing the two cannot go back to their homes, they set off to the Wildland to have and Raise their baby on their Own.

The Movie Poster and or Book  Cover.. by RaphLuna   Crystal Frost and Night Wing by RaphLuna

My Spouse mocked me said I trace my stuff. so I did this piece.

Anything can be a refrence by RaphLuna

It's a major project a work in progress, however, no matter how much my spouse calls me crazy, he just keeps adding fuel to the fire within me to create go over and beyond.

Feel free to check out my work in progress. Please forgive the mess. It's still in the works once finished. Plan to pitch my entire content to the whole Entertainment Industry.

No, I'm not interested in selling,  however, will team up with the entertainment industry to bring the stories to life, on both the big and little screen for the world to see.

raphluna.deviantart.com/galler…

United we stand,
Now and Forever.
In Truth Divided,
We fall.
Hand upon Hand,
Brother to Brother.
No one,
Shall be greater than all.

Song Quote from Quest For Camelot. Cartoons Teach us so much. and that is just from one cartoon.

May you achieve great Sucess on the path you choose to take,

Hugs Friend,

RaphLuna
Laurie Doodles
Laurie Ann Garland   

what if I don't know what color you are, and you have to tell me what it means to be that color.
did you know I was confused when you said Black?
we're going with, spiritual, colors now? okay, what if my heart is painted black,
you said that's not being black,
"what, when is blue black?
when it's blood"
I must admit, this comment confuses me. I'm talking in real-life terms, and to my knowledge, the only hearts that wind up black are the ones roasted on a fire. Otherwise, their color ranges from dark red and crimson to purple, if we're talking human hearts. 
said what, Igor?

WHAT says that?

is it evil?
Even I do not understand what you are saying.

however, maybe your mind is stuck in Midevil times
you're sure

osmosis right? that you just, existing here in 2018, that made you smarter than scholars of the past?
Yeah, I don't reply to incomprehensible posts. Have a good day. 
But you do care about what people are typing in their personal bio?
You don't care about their personal information and unimportant details, yet you choose to read the section on their profile dedicated to exactly that?
Do you read the "interests" section? by any chance

You care enough to tell us how you do not care.

This exercise seems pointless to me, but who am I to judge, perhaps there is some grand point I'm missing.
I did skip over a few seemingly redundant paragraphs..
There seems to be a trend where people take the "I don't care" term too literally.

As I've explained several times over, context matters, and there's a difference between "I don't care, go away" and "I don't care for this, and here's why". If you hadn't skipped paragraphs and actually read the whole thing properly, you'd see what I mean and where I stand. 

Thank you for your input nonetheless. 
Well I don't really understand you then, there's a lot to your post and it's mostly uninteresting to me.
a summary of it would be nice. The title just comes off as incendiary and standoffish.

Everyone likes to say sexuality has nothing to do with who you are, but I think that's just silly, sexual experiences are just as valid as any other experience in determining the type of person you shape up to be. Some people can get groped or molested once, and it changes their entire worldview for the rest of their lives. For some reason people hate when a character in a video game or a novel is "randomly" gay, as if it serves no purpose in the development of the story.

I just don't understand how people have this narrow view of art and story telling. As if they don't want to know more about people and characters. 
You not understanding a post after reading it is not really my problem, as the onus is on you to do so. But if you really want just a summary and if you're judging what I say based on the title alone, then let me sum it up for you. But before I do, you should know that judging something on the title alone is really the worst way to judge it. It's like looking at a book cover and saying "well, I cannot read this, the cover looks bad."

I don't have an issue with people sleeping with anyone they choose to. My issue is when you make that your sole attribute on a website that's aimed at art. In other words, if your greatest achievement is something you can't really change about yourself (skin color, sexuality, physical make-up) or an ideological stance (be it religious or political), then you're really not that much of an achiever. And this isn't solely directed at certain members of the LGBT community (I say "certain", because not all of them act this way; no group is a monolith). Every group has these problems. A white nationalist that only cares about white people and their plight is equally someone not worth my attention. Neither is a black nationalist who only cares about black people and their plight. And both of those groups have prominence in the modern world, and both are largely idiotic when their arguments are dismantled. 

To me, on deviantArt, art is what matters. I would prefer to see good art and a scant bio rather than a huge bio with about fifty different subsections and very little (if any) art. I've also made it perfectly clear that I don't care if an artist identifies as this or that - if their art is good, I will promote it and enjoy it. I've even given examples of Oscar Wilde, Walt Whitman, Dave Rubin, Stephen Fry, etc. 

Nowhere did I say that sexuality isn't "valid," whatever that nebulous term means nowadays. I maintain that I prefer merit and skill before anything else. If you're in a wheelchair and happen to do nothing BUT go on about how you're in a wheelchair, I will not have any interest in you. If, however, you're in a wheelchair, but do not allow that to stop you from achieving in anything (jobs, sports, even art), you have my seal of approval and undying support.

Did I make myself any clearer to you? If there's anything else you think is left unexplained, let me know.  
No I pretty much understand your sentiment. But I've went from not understanding to simple disagreement.
Everybody has unimportant little personality quirks that aren't individually amazing, but I see people as a collection of their skills, opinions, quirks, and traits, so they are on some level important.

The Bio is not for art, The Gallery is. You might not understand it in your own view of the world, but people do like to know all the little odd things about their favorite artists. Hell, thousands of people watch 24 hour live streams of people living normal lives. People will watch average gamers playing games they like for no real reason. 

To put it bluntly I don't think there's anything wrong with your opinion, but I find it a little pretentious in a way.
Fair enough, we can disagree. And I don't think that there isn't at least some pretentiousness in my opinion, which I think I've even mentioned.

All in all, at least we found some minor common ground. 
Well that's good.
Refreshing change of pace around here, for two people to not actually hate each others guts lol.
View all replies
Hello, there friends!

We do not have to be racist, we have to accept each other as we are!
We must only be interested in ourselves.
Last I checked, there were no racists on this post. And I do have a problem with "We must only be interested in ourselves" term. That sounds far too self-centered. 

Thank you for your input nonetheless. 
i totally get why you (and many others) feel this way, though i have to say, this reads entirely like an issue of perspective to me.

i don't think it's done for respect; i think it's more of a solidarity thing. lots of people grow up being told these things about them are not okay. putting up who they are on their bio on deviantART is okay because not everyone is on here for the same reasons.

i really don't think these people are listing these things on their bio as some sort of credentials; after all, this is not a professional art site. you wouldn't necessarily see this kind of thing being more prevalent on say, artstation.

since deviantART is a social media site as well as an art site, people's identities are going to be put on display. if you're not interested in that, just favorite the art you like! you're probably not the target audience for their bio information if you're not interested in it, and the format you're addressing is probably here to stay until LGBTQ people don't have any more reasons to stick together.