Shop Forum More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
March 12
Link

Statistics

Replies: 294

Now they are using bombs instead of guns.

:icontrixiepooch:
TrixiePooch Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018
Austin Texas was rocked by a bomb blast today that killed one and injured another. Not as many dead as a mass shooting but all they have to do is put one where a lot of people are and you would have major headlines. So when guns are banned they will still have bombs. And they can make bombs of any size. In 1993 a couple of foreign nationals set off a bomb in the basement of the trade center, killing 6 and injuring 1,000 or so.  29 year old Ramzi Yousef said he had hoped that the bomb would bring down the building and fall into it's twin and hoped to kill 250,000. The damage to the building, though sizable, was not enough to bring down the building. So the fact is no matter what the means, if someone wanted to kill a lot of people they could.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrobstrand:
RobStrand Featured By Owner Mar 20, 2018
Bombs are much easier to build and parts easy to acquire with a wealth of information available both on and offline. But its the indiscriminate nature of a bomb that scares me the most, and the coward behind the trigger.
TrixiePooch Featured By Owner Mar 20, 2018
Any school shooter, or mass shooter, is a coward. Just the means of killing is the factor.
Yes and no, and it comes down to the weapon, a bullet and a shooter has discretion simply because they can pick and choose their targets, a bomb has none whether in or near the area.
TrixiePooch Featured By Owner Mar 20, 2018
Most shooters only intend to take out certain targets, like an ex, a bully, someone who is making their life hell. Some manage to do that, just take out the ones they blame, and then commit suicide. But others are so filled with rage that they blame everyone and so have no primary targets. So they just shoot indiscriminately, and keep shooting until they are taken out because they want to commit suicide but don't have the guts, so use someone else ( usually the police) to do so. I think most bomb users don't want to die, just to get even, so they use a bomb so they are not caught. But both a gun and a bomb are more impersonal. Fewer people just a knife or other because they may not be able to stand the gore or getting blood on themselves or see and feel the pain or death they are causing close up and personal.  That is just my take.
:iconfeekle:
feekle Featured By Owner Mar 18, 2018
Give everybody bombs. Everyone will be safe then.
TrixiePooch Featured By Owner Mar 18, 2018
Better plan is just arming all the Girl Scouts because us girls are not afraid of some shooter when we've got numbers.

Holly Hawkshot By Fat Punisher-dc222xm by TrixiePooch  
:iconxerxes61:
Xerxes61 Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
Trucks and cars have been proven to effect killing machines also. 
If you combine the two you have Oklahoma city.
Xerxes61 Featured By Owner Mar 20, 2018
Yep
TrixiePooch Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
More killed each year than all the mass shootings combined.
Xerxes61 Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2018
Nod 
:iconrunicsummoner:
RunicSummoner Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
I can agree that a truly dedicated killer does not necessarily need a gun to commit a mass-scale crime. That said, I believe it is considerably harder to create and operate a bomb than a gun, let alone put it to most damaging use. An effective bomb has far greater potential than an effective gun, but the usability and likelihood are quite different between the two. I don't think there's moving from one to the other going on.
Now that's a fair statement. But let's get down to brass tacks. If people didn't get treated like shit by their peers and everyone was treated equally in schools with no bullying, people feeling left out, ignored, uncared about, made fun of, laughed at, teased, or talked about with disdain on FB and other media, and a dozen other things that people do to each other, there would be no mass shooting. In the real world there are always assholes who think they are God's gift to everyone and who care not about whose feeling they hurt. These people are the ones you should blame.
That should absolutely be handled. The issue is partially social, and there needs to be improvements in much more than just "screeeee block bad guns!". Preventative measures such as holding police more accountable to be attentive, the FBI more accountable for taking reports seriously, and fellow students for being aware when things are going south is a fundamental good start that is under exploited at the moment. I recall that a shooting in Ohio was averted from a fellow student reporting threats to local law enforcement. That is what should be encouraged. Then I see what happened in Florida, where multiple levels of law enforcement failed in the first place. That should absolutely be handled.

Despite how many liberal elements in the US seem to believe, it's a more complicated issue than simply blocking guns. Multiple prongs are necessary to make a tangible change, and part of that solution has to be in the attitudes of everyone involved...
Agreed. Nod 
:icondraggah-n:
Draggah-N Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
Most liberals don't think it's just a gun problem. We fully support a multi pronged approach that includes greater reporting of problems, better mental healthcare, and anti bullying.

However, the other side would have you believe that guns aren't a part of the problem at all, which is clearly false.
I could buy that. Either extreme is unhelpful. While I do not consider guns the primary factor, the laws regarding them are inconsistent - especially in enforcement, but in some cases, in structure as well.
I think most people could find a middle ground on this given the chance to talk calmly.

I *do* think guns are a big part of the problem, but I'd also like to institute your ideas because I think they would help a lot also.

As far as guns, I *don't* want to ban all guns, not at all. As a war veteran, I know how dangerous an AR-15 can really be, and I'd like to make those much harder to buy and to restrict high capacity magazines. Also I think we need a robust, national, background check system and waiting periods. I don't think any of that is insanely unreasonable, what do you think?
Personally speaking, I do not see the viability of civilians handling AR-15's in general, so I am not inherently opposed to regulations for the access of weapons that are military in quality as well as equipment designed to make such weapons lethal killing machines. A background check system is absolutely reasonable - it should certainly be robust and universally applied, which is something that is currently failing - laws as they stand aren't evenly applied. Waiting periods for the sake of waiting periods does not make sense to me unless there is more to the term I'm simply not recalling at the moment. Really, the system in my state is more than enough - a background check, fees and hassle for a handgun in the hands of a more than old enough adult with zero incidents on record. If the system in my state was applied across the country, I'd dare say that the addition of new regulations is no longer even needed.

The main issue that tends to get many folks averse to even discussion is the slippery slope ideal - take one thing away, and that makes grounds for everything else to be taken away. I don't think thorough background checks for assault rifles is a valid basis for such a slippery slope, but when I have heard arguments that come down to outright banning all weapons above the hitting power of a handgun or ancient rifle, I can see where that idea is coming from. Doesn't help that exposure on both sides largely consists of gun-lovers vs gun-haters at two polar extremes.

A thorough background check system is certainly reasonable - what I find to be important on the regulation level is the even application of such laws and procedures (which can tie in with agencies being held more accountable to paying attention). There's also a balance that I would want to keep in mind - one should not have to blow half their bank on a handgun, and I don't think it should be insanely expensive to acquire a heavier weapon on the basis of extra steps such as full blown background checks at the buyer's expense. Said system, if universally applied, ought to be expedient. But that goes into the idea of best results for the least amount of pain involved, and that's a tricky thing to apply. I'll let someone else speak of the validity of assault rifle regulation strictness. I'm not keen on playing devil's advocate for a weapon that I deem entirely unnecessary for home defense, which is my sole interest in firearms. To target a specific point, moving the minimum age of getting an assault rifle to 21 is a reasonable step in my book. But I also find that it was the first step in mind after the Florida shooting, and I do not think that it was the most important or productive application of advocacy in light of highly improper handling of surrounding circumstances.
I see lots of common ground there. Now we need to demand that lawmakers sit down and hash things out.
(1 Reply)
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
I assure you that it's more difficult to make a sophisticated and powerful bomb and detonate it in a way that guarantees mass casualties without anyone noticing than it is to legally obtain a gun and go on a shooting spree. Anyone buying the types of ingredients to make a useful dirty bomb in the quantities necessary to ensure their potency is going to have the FBI breathing down their neck, and that's something which takes a significant amount of knowledge to do properly and can't be done as quickly.
In case anyone was wondering, the vast majority of IEDs were made from artillery shells, NOT backyard fireworks.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improv…
No one is talking about a sophisticated bomb, dirty or otherwise.  Kids know they can take a 4th of July Whistling Pete sparkler, squeeze it's base to loosen up the insides, light it and after it whistles for a few seconds it blows up. Basically it turns into a small bomb. Making a larger bomb that can do damage besides blowing hour hand off takes a little more work but you can get one to kill with no degree in chemistry needed. You think the people who make IED's have degrees in anything besides terrorism? 
Terrorists are trained by terrorist organizations, at the top of which are often seasoned militants. That's not in any way comparable to a random kid.
I've been trying to tell her this for two days. She's determined to stay as ignorant as possible.
I don't think she actually cares about the details. She just wants to spread her moronic opinions everywhere waiting for people to confirm her ill-informed biases, like whichever favorite talking head gave her the idea that fucking bombs are just as dangerous as guns are in a country where there's one for every person.
Sadly I'm seeing that you are right. Time give it up and move on I suppose.
:icon61021376:
61021376 Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
Hell, they can use trucks too. The one thing that really matters, is the intent to kill.
Another coward down, why do they fear and hate the truth?
You mean I'm a coward because I had to go to bed because I live in another timezone and have a job?
Draggah-N Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2018
No, that wasn't directed at you. Oops.
61021376 Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2018
Then what ..:confused: nevermind
That's true. A person can kill with his bare hands if he that the intent to do so and he wasn't wrestling Hulk Hogan.
Kinda hard to kill 58 people and injure hundreds more in a single crowd with bare hands tho...
I've used The Intent to Kill many times. Its range, capacity, stopping power, and firing rate all suck. If you're after a high body count, I recommend mounting your Intent to Kill on an AR-15 with a fifty round drum.
Or a truck, it works too
It's good if you have the perfect circumstances, but an AR-15 is a proven killer is all kinds of situations.
:iconblackbook668:
blackbook668 Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
Now? The Columbine shooters used bombs.
Sure they were nukes. Didn't you know?
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
Which did nothing.
Yeah, I know. It's said the casualties would be a lot worse if they had gone off.
Or if they had been made properly.
Yeah, from what I remember there was a bit of trouble in getting one to go off safely because they'd messed it up.
When you don't properly measure and mix it, you create a dud or a suicide bomb. 
Yes, they used several bombs. None of them were effective at killing anyone though. The sounds may have added to the chaos and confusion perhaps?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columb…
Yeah, I know of that. My point was that this isn't a new thing as OP's title indicates.
Ah, okay. Yes, you're right about that.
Fortunately, constructing an effective bomb from scratch is actually quite difficult. It requires a good deal of skill and specialized knowledge and equipment. That, coupled with modern controls on materials makes mass murder by bomb much less likely than mass murder by gun. Just look at the record, no large bombings since the 90s, when the Oklahoma City and Trade center bombings triggered new anti bomb measures.
A bomb is much similar to an M-80. just explosive in a tube with a fuse. By varying the material of the tube and can be quite deadly and is effective and is simple to make. Any kid who takes chemistry in high school can figure this out. You must have quit at Biology.
Add a Comment: