Deadline looms for net neutrality

Posting this on the final minute of today...

Well...those who still want a free and open internet, only have a few hours of life left.

The Federal Communications Commission is strongly expected to vote to repeat the new neutrality rules that had been in place since early-2015. His team is strongly expected to move forward in a 3-2 hard vote to overturn the Barack H. Obama-era rules he deemed unconstitutional tomorrow morning when they meet at 10:30 AM Eastern Standard Time: www.nytimes.com/2017/12/13/tec…

If this repeal happens and if it does, the changes by most ISPs will not actually occur for months as the issue is expected to be upheld in court.

Most ISPs should promise to not block or throttle legal content, but there is too much of a concern that ISP will take too much control over the way how people surf on the internet.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm going to bed, goodnight. :sleep:
Comments197
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
There is 17 (or 19) states of untied states that is with New York to sue FCC to repeal of net neutrality.
In addition to the lawsuit, 26 senators are even supporting a resolution to undo FCC's net neutrality repeal: www.theverge.com/2017/12/20/16…

And according to the inspector general, then President Barack Obama didn't even pressure the FCC into adapting the net neutrality rules either: dailycaller.com/2017/12/20/ins…
Time to become an internet-dealer!
Not every ISP will be a internet dealer...
I'll be the dealer..

I should start building my empire soon..
Good luck on building your empire!
Oh noes! net neutrality! Everyone puts up with big tech (google, amazon, facebook, twitter) actively throttling and censoring...
but ISPs not being dependent on the fucking government (who everyone suddenly and conveniently trusts for some reason) = everyone runs for the hills :lol:
Let's say I own a small business out here in Hooterville. Like, say, restoring/modding retro and vintage electronics and game systems. Now, here in Hooterville, walk in business is pretty sparse, but after I discovered the internet, invested in a web site and spread word around, suddenly people all over the world are shipping me items to fix up. I'm not super rich by any means, but I do turn a healthy profit, enough to live off of and invest even. 

Now, with NN repealed, guess what happens? All of a sudden, whether or not my website get's allowed bandwidth to function is purely at the mercy of the sole provider in this region. What incentive do they have to let me continue and keep hogging bandwitdh they could give to the clients with the megabucks? I don't make near as much money and can't pay them near what the bigger internet companies can. 

I'm shit out of luck with my liveliehood. 

Now tell, conservatives, why I should support repealing NN if it could sink my business? 
In that case, as a customer, I would not buy the internet service.  A new service would open for people like me who want to be able to access more than just the big sites.  The market corrects itself.
You assume everyone has access to multiple ISP's. That's far from the case. 
The idea is that if one is not making people satisfied, they will go out of business and a competitor will be able to pop up.  If the emergence of a new competitor is restricted, that is another problem.  
That's yet another what if
Now what if there's only one provider in the region because of government regulations to begin with?
How exactly would this move alleviate that problem? 
Because when you have more competition, you have to cater more to customers? :B
That competition didn't form pre-2015. Why not? 
Did ISPs block content back then?
View all replies
Who here is going to pirate their Internet...

I know I will.
Not every ISP will be able to police what you can download and what you can't download. :\
No, but they will eventually police how fast you can do it.
That's true, but this has little effect on the smaller ISP/telecommunication players.