Jesus And The Cult Of Work:

I had just looked at a video by Renegade Cut's "Frank Grimes- The Cult Of Work" ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40sJO… ) and wonder on what the Bible says about such mindsets. Would Jesus encourage the Cult of Work as he would encourage hard work or would he be against it as work would become a false idol? Any texts for or against the argument?
Comments33
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Editing my post because I clearly didn't read your question close enough and also watched a bit of the video. The idea of work that RC is discussing has some connection to the concept of the Protestant work ethic: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protesta… It's less of an explicit ethic promoted in Protestant theology and more like a confluence of certain concepts in relation to capitalism. I don't think works are really synonymous with hard work in the sense meant here, but theological differences on that concept would probably help understand the issue a bit: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_wor…
Jesus taught that we will reap what you sow.

That is Jesus encouraging encouraging and showing the value of work.

Any intelligent person would know the value of toil. Just look at our history.

Regards
DL
Probably the best answer for the question. Although you do not speak about the balance.

I do not see Yin and Yang in balance nor the benefits and lose of sowing and reaping that you seem to think are balanced.

Perhaps I do not even know what you meant.

Regards

DL

I meant balance of working time and free time. You work to get something done, but working all the time simply means that you do not work for your own benefit, but for someone else's, who is sometimes (often actually) not worth the effort.
Work is good for the soul, but so is the rest and joy of free time, which is not spend in bed. It is needed to find balance, correct dividing of time between those two.
I hope it is understandable now.

Indeed.

Here is an irrefutable truth.

We are always doing the best we can with what we have.

Regards

DL

And yet a surprising number of people are born into privilege and wealth. Wonder what htey toiled for to get born into that - not earned.

Born.

A poor beginning does nothing to negate that we will gain what we sow.

I was born in dirt poor conditions and have worked my way to being way above my old peers.

No point in complaining about the luck of the draw involved in having rich parents.

Regards

DL

Grats. For everyone who did work their way above their old peers, there are a dozen others who simply weren't in the right spot. There were also even more who managed to "know someone who knows someone" or didn't have to enter the work force.

You see this all the time, especially in fame. For every Tiffany Haddish who was in foster care, there're people like the Lohans or the Olsen Twins who got their jobs because they happened to be in the right place in the right time.

You gain what you sow, but some people are given rotten seeds destined to bear bitter fruit while others are given good seeds. No amount of work will get you from getting pulled over on the way to your job interview because you're black, or let your application get turned over by a rich kid who was able to pay for extracurriculars that college applications want.

No argument that we live in a chaotic system where we are affected by every one we interact with.

That luck of the draw is a part of reality for all. It is always the survival of the fittest, even in chaos.

Regards

DL

"Any intelligent person would know the value of toil. Just look at our history."

Haha, slavery.

Ha ha.

Slaves slave. Toil is not what I would call the millstones around their necks.

To compare paid workers to slaves is you being disingenuous to slaves.

Regards

DL

To "toil" is to work hard. Which slaves do. There are people who see the value of them doing that, and stand aside doing the absolute bare minimum while people literally ruin their health, "slave" or not, to toil for them. This isn't something that just happened in past centuries, either; it still happens. Even "paid" workers are slaves to a shit system.
>>Any intelligent person would know the value of toil.

The intelligent people knew how to reap the value of OTHER people's toil. You didn't see the King out there in the fields plowing, did ya? 

He was busy doing his rewarding toil.

Regards

DL

The moment of truth would be during the sabbath which is traditionally holy.
Jesu already showed how we should see the Sabbath.

He said, when protecting someone for working the Sabbath, that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath.

IOW, man and his needs and wants  come before and above god's.

In this, Jesus was correct.

Regards
DL

Goes to show how much I may haven’t read.

That is the case with many, my friend.

Regards

DL

Hard work was a virtue. (Jesus would likely agree) Enjoying the fruits of your labor. (Hugh Hefner would agree) I doubt Jesus would have approved of the late Hugh Hefner.   
>cult of work
This is why I hate communists.
That does not make you a communist. You really need to learn what that word means. 

He thinks working should be a past time and money should be handed over to him. He thinks rich people are bad people.