Has anyone tried to convert you before?

How often? How did each affect you? Living in a small country with the majority being Seventh Day Adventists, this is a common interaction.
Comments44
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It's called indoctrination and it has a terrible effect.
i've regularly been asked to go to church by acquaintances and even random people. every time my answer is still no :lol:
Yes. But Little to no influence, I studied them while they were trying to convert me.
Agra once started talking something like this, then took his words back. With a blast :D
They are still under the patio... Giggle 
Many MANY times. 
Usually it ends with me listening right until the end and then telling them I am not interested (because people will pressure you to stay and listen) OR I tell them straight away "NO!" and I walk/run before they can talk to me more. 

The only thing it does when someone comes up to convert me into any religion (it's usually Christianity or the Jehovah witnesses my area) is that it just makes me annoyed. I don't believe that religion can be found properly by someone stopping me in the street to tell me that either God loves me or that God is trying to help all these people in a crisis. (Adding to that; I also think that if a church/religious group is using a crisis to get more people to join their group, I think they are disgusting.)

I think religion or spirituality is something that finds you/you seek it. Or at least that is how I feel.
Sure, sometimes people try that.
When I was a kid, sure. Studying in the church means being bombarded with guilt for not being Christian & threats of hell every day. A god who proud itself as a loving deity sure loves to intimidate it's creation into subservience all because the Romans executed a guy who cite rebellion.
I have been approached many times.

When it happens these days, I try to talk them into a moral ideology by first basically shutting them up with a moral question or two, --- where their god shows himself to be more like Satan than a good god.

The one thing a theist cannot abide is a moral challenge.

There are good reasons for Christianity and Islam growing by inquisitions and jihads.

They had and have no decent moral arguments to convert with.

Regards
DL
I can abide by a moral challenge.

Try to get a Christian to engage in a moral discussion and you will see how quickly they run.

When they begin their morals by the idol worship of a genocidal prick of a god, one cannot say that one is moral.

If you wish to argue for the Christians, start an O.P. and I am there for that.

Regards

DL

I’m like Sailor Moon, I never run from a fight.

Christians do run, as they know that they cannot win when their god is satanic.

Regards

DL

Name a time I’ve run from a debate.

You are not that specific that I recall, but if a Christian and willing to engage in a moral discussion.

How about doing an apologetics or argument for Yahweh doing genocide when he could cure as easily as killing, yet always seems to kill.

Regards

DL

View all replies
As for the small country thing with a lot of Seventh-Day Adventists, I am from the Bible Belt Southeastern U.S where the two status quo religions is Christianity specifically Southern Baptist and Pentecostal(though that changes from either just Southern Baptist or another Protestant denomination with Southern Baptist but in my part it was Southern Baptist and Pentecostal), there are signs everywhere saying "Jesus saves" and the like(nothing wrong with that it just shows how prevalent Christianity is there), I don't live there anymore but I often visit there. I'm not the only Baha'i from there but let's just say at home and online I'm open about being a Baha'i but not there. 
I’m in a similar situation where I live, as well as many of the places I visit, despite the person who brought my group into the known world living near one of these places.

Back home, where details about me are more well known, it’s more like a feeling of bepuzzlement, like how a mother feels when her child wants to build a fort in the bathroom, but in places belonging to America and sometimes New Zealand, it all happens more stereotypically when it comes up, and I’ve never been to the Bible belt either.

Most often, this kind of interaction occurs beginning with a conversation about my hair, as the decree to avoid gender distinction through things like hairstyle seems so alien to people even though it should be common wisdom, and once I was banned from a playground.

By choice, I’m still open about what I know though, as what kind of devotional person would I otherwise be and as I have better things to hide, not that it comes up often.
Yeah, I don't understand the idea that women has to have long hair. In Pentecostalism its a requirement for women to have long hair, either outside of a bun or in a bun, but I've noticed a lot of Baha'i women has short hair which I think is good. 
Oh many times. So many that stopped counting and stopped being so polite and said either the following statements. I’m an atheist and I’m done talking about religion or if there determined I tell them to fuck off.
Yes. Multiple times. Did not allow them to though.