Details

July 13
Link

Statistics

Replies: 194

Ask a Christian

:icontheunstoppabletaco:
TheUnstoppableTaco Featured By Owner Jul 13, 2020  New Deviant
I'm opening this thread for anyone who has a question they'd like to ask a Christian, be it about my personal experience with the faith, my opinion on certain issues, or anything else that relates to the religion. 

Just some background information: I'm a fairly young convert (about 4 years), formerly an atheist. I'm a college student, not a professional, but I do have a fairly decent understanding of my religion's teachings as I was raised in a Christian home, attended a Christian high school and currently attend a private Christian college. 

I should also add: I'm more than happy to start a dialogue if your question requires more than a simple answer. My goal here is to erase some of the ambiguity about what it means to be a Christian and what the average Christian believes, so I'm happy to discuss more controversial issues. That being said, please try to keep things civil and respectful. I would really appreciate it. 

And with that out of the way, I'd love to hear some of your questions! 

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconjayceeknight:
jayceeknight Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
How do you personally handle the parts of the Bible that are cruel and immoral?
TheUnstoppableTaco Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  New Deviant
It doesn't impact my belief that the Bible's claims are true. I rely on factual evidence for that. But, I admit that I do struggle with certain moral issues. I guess my way of dealing with it is admitting that I don't have all the answers. I wasn't there, so it's hard to judge God's actions from such a vast distance as well as through a large language barrier. Plus, if God is the omniscient being he says he is, then his reasoning for doing things may simply be above my understanding. However, I don't rely on faith alone and I do try to understand those controversial parts of scripture the best that I can. I often use a Greek/Hebrew concordance if a certain word or phrase seems ambiguous, or I'll look to the historical context of when and why a passage was written, the message it was trying to convey, and exactly what was going on that caused God to act the way he did. My desire is to learn, and my beliefs often change as I learn more.
:iconbloodontheblade:
BloodOnTheBlade Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
When Jesus comes back, will he be the slayer of mankind who brings about the apocalypse? I think there was a quote in revelations about him coming back bearing a sword in hand.
TheUnstoppableTaco Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  New Deviant
Not exactly. Yes, he will come back with a sword, but his intension is to abolish evil and protect those who love him, not to slay mankind and end the world. In fact, his first victim will be the antichrist whose desire is to destroy mankind. God loves the world, and he loves mankind. His intension is to save as many people as possible--as many as are willing to be saved.
:iconja4533:
JA4533 Featured By Owner Jul 19, 2020
What do you think of Christianity or religion in general being fused with traditional beliefs? What I mean is is similar to my own fused religion(to a lesser extent) how I am a Baha'i but incorporate Cherokee monotheism to my own religion, though not literally I don't believe the spirits of Cherokee tradition to be literally real but metaphors for life, and often use the Cherokee name for God, Ye Ho Way. I also incorporated some Ancient Egyptian beliefs, not enough for it to be considered a fusion for there is no god but God, what I mean is the idea of Ren or Rn, which is a person's name being more then just a name but rather a part of your soul and to tell of your true name is to tell your life-story from birth until present. That kind of thing is what I mean by fusing religion with traditional beliefs.
TheUnstoppableTaco Featured By Owner Jul 19, 2020  New Deviant
I try to distinguish between core teachings and tradition/styles of practice. I think there's room for the latter within Christianity, so long as it doesn't undermine the core teachings.
:iconja4533:
JA4533 Featured By Owner Jul 19, 2020
Thank you!! 
:icontriagonal:
Triagonal Featured By Owner Jul 19, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
Is there anything Jesus said that you don’t necessarily agree with?
TheUnstoppableTaco Featured By Owner Jul 19, 2020  New Deviant
Nothing comes to mind, no. But, although it's not a direct quote from Jesus, I do struggle to understand some of Paul's commands to women in his epistles. (such as be silent in the church, submit to husbands, etc.) Jesus seems to have quite the opposite opinion.
:icondioshiba:
DioShiba Featured By Owner Jul 17, 2020  Professional Filmographer
Okay, this one is sort of more on the philosophical side of what it actually means to be a Christain.

Maybe it's because I've been in and out of the faith since I started college and back but I want to hear your honest thoughts. What does it mean to you to be a true Christian?

I'm asking mainly because I've been in and out of the faith a couple of times and I only started to go back to church and read a couple of verses in the bible recently. And I was also born and raised one. But having also traveled the world a bit and seeing other faiths in practice, I would argue that the concept of separation of body and flesh is actually shared between Islam and Christianity believe it or not (And I know this because I have listened to an Imam speak, who would be Islam's equivalent to a Priest)

If you were to ask me this, I wouldn't say that it's nessecarily a bad thing to accept that other religions as valid, since they exist and it would go against the concept of loving thy neighbor. But with that being said do you believe that being a true Christian just comes down to following the faith as truthfully as possible? Or is it something where you would believe that it's the only truth that exists?

Let me in on your thoughts.
TheUnstoppableTaco Featured By Owner Jul 17, 2020  New Deviant
To be a true Christian is to be saved by Christ and reunited with God's Spirit. This is what it means to be "born again". (John 3:3--Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”) The reason it is called being "born again" is because every person is born rebellious against God and must choose either to turn to Him and be "reborn" or continue in rebellion. So, to be "saved" means being pardoned from our rebellion and sinful actions through Christ's sacrifice our behalf.
This is summed up quite well in Romans 3:23-25: "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins."
And, as it says, this salvation is achieved through faith and belief in Christ, that His sacrifice is the only way God will forgive you and forget your sins. Salvation is a gift; It cannot be earned through works or religious behavior, and no sin is bad enough to make Him stop forgiving you once you have been forgiven.
Some other verses to consider:
John 3:36--Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.
Ephesians 2:8--For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
Romans 10:9--if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
John 10:27-28--My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
While there are truths to these verses, there are also equivalents to what makes someone a true Muslim or a true Jew in that same sense.
What I'm asking is not of what we are supposed to believe in, but whether or not we can still hold our same values as Christians and still acknowledge that other religions may have their points as well.
The Christian Bible, Much like the Qu'ran and the Talmud follow the Torah (The old testament, if you will). Considering that wouldn't it be fair to say that all three of these religions have people who are the children of Abraham who are true to their religions as well?
This is a bit more on the abstract side of religious/spiritual thinking. I suppose I'm asking these questions because it's evident that there is still much hate in the world.
Sure, religions can be partially true. Humans are wired to seek the truth. And very often, people may find parts of it but miss the bigger picture. But It's not being true to your religion that saves you; it's the actual sacrifice of Christ that saves you. The only belief part is acknowledging that His sacrifice actually happened and has the power to save you. So no, a faithful Muslim or Jew is not a child of Abraham just because their beliefs and practices are similar. As the Word says: "And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise."--Galatians 3:29
Interesting.
That's something that I would take into consideration. Thank you for your input.
Anytime!
Triagonal Featured By Owner Jul 16, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
What is your view on the Santa tradition?
TheUnstoppableTaco Featured By Owner Jul 16, 2020  New Deviant
Just an innocent children's fable. It's not a threat, so long as Christian families still use Christmas as a way to appreciate what Christ did for us by becoming human. My parents told me about Santa, but we also had a nativity set and I knew the biblical Christmas story. So again, as long as it doesn't outright replace the true meaning of the holiday, it's harmless.
:icondoraemonpepe:
DoraemonPepe Featured By Owner Jul 17, 2020  New Deviant Student Digital Artist
4Kids dub of One Piece has getting rid of Christmas elements and replaces it with something different such of "Groundhog Day". It is very disrespectful. :nuu:
Well to be fair it is 4kids.

They ruin everything they touch.
:iconpoiyabance:
PoiyaBance Featured By Owner Jul 16, 2020  New Deviant
I ask This Question Good Sir though i am not christian:When I saw the mentions of death being abolished in multiple verses like 2 timothy 1:10 does the bible mean that we think what to do with our life everyday and banished the thought of death into the back of our minds so we won't think about it? and when we do think about it we began trying to search for the idea of living forever?

"but now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,"

when i think about "Light" it translated into "mind" as new ideas and technology has been transcribed into books maybe it was talking about that i was unsure about it to be honest so i asked this question here
The meaning of that saying is that Christ abolished death by dying on our behalf. See, life is God's gift to mankind, and to be truly alive is to know Him, because He is the author of life. But death is a result of humans choosing evil over good; as a result of our actions, we don't deserve to know Him or enjoy His gift of life. And so in the end, we all die. Even the ones who know God in this life, because we still sin. But Christ offered His life in our place to take our punishment, and rose from the dead to make a place for us in heaven where we can live forever with God even after the body dies. And one day He will make the world perfect and destroy evil and death finally, so no one will ever die again and everyone who loves Him will live forever. That is what the Bible means by saying Christ abolished death.
:iconpoiyabance:
PoiyaBance Featured By Owner Jul 16, 2020  New Deviant
ah ok thank you for explaining
No problem! :)
:iconherbaldrink:
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Jul 16, 2020
What do you think about Zoroastrianism, one of the older religions that Christianity has been caught plagiarising from?
I think it's illogical to assume Christianity is plagiarized just because another similar story came before it. Perhaps both are reacting to the same universal truth; after all, every religion has some aspect of truth to it. 
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Jul 17, 2020
If they reacted to the same universal truth, that just raises more questions about why Yahweh enables such things that're obviously not the whole truth. :noes:
Free will. He lets us think for ourselves. Humans are rational creatures, but we're also imperfect creatures, so sometimes our rational thinking leads to false ideas.
He loves you so much he allows you free will.
...but that's okay, you never accepted Jesus because you lived before him or never knew who he was? Off to Hell with you!
God didn't judge people for their knowledge of Jesus before he was born. He judged by the Law.
The Law that some of them weren't told unfortunately. :(
Just because they didn't see it in writing, doesn't mean they weren't aware of it. The Law is written in the human conscience. Humans intuitively know right and wrong.
(1 Reply)
:iconkoshej:
Koshej Featured By Owner Jul 17, 2020
How does THIS come along with the [One Unique Messiah For Everyone] concept that Christianity can't exist without (but which ALSO came first from Judaism to begin with)?
Or maybe you should clarify what do you mean by "similar story" to begin with.
Is it "God"?
Is it "Creation"?
Something else that I'm unaware of (I have near-zero knowledge of Zoroastrianism, so I can't exactly GUESS what YOU mean there)?
Be specific, ya know.
I was referring to their monotheistic belief in God, and the concept of a struggle between good and evil. I'm not well-versed in their teachings either, but that's what google is for.
So you ARE aware that Zoroastrianism is defined as "dualism"?
Whereas Judaism (of which Christianity CLAIMS being an offshoot) is instead "strict monotheism"?
Do you even know the intrinsic crucial difference between the two concepts?
No, I wasn't aware. Like I said, I don't know much about Zoroastrianism beyond a quick google search. I should have studied it more before responding; that was my fault.
Koshej Featured By Owner Edited Jul 17, 2020
Ehem, took me like 10 seconds to WIki it:
Also, has the word "dualistic" in its very first (EDIT: second) sentence.
Yyyup.
:iconjasesaster:
Jasesaster Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If God created everything. Why do the other cultures believe in other gods instead of the christian god? I mostly know the answer but I wanted to get it from the perspective of a Christian.

Do you follow the teachings of Jehovah or Yahweh?

Is saying the name of the lord still considered taboo to speak out in public?
It’s human nature, I guess. People don’t have to believe what’s true. I could ask an atheist the same question; if there’s no god, why do so many believe in one/many?
Is is that a disjunction or are you just phrasing the name differently?
Only when it‘s done in vain (like as a curse word for example)
Do you or don't you make a CONCEPTUAL distinction between "One God" and "many gods"?
Does it look to you to MEAN anything besides the "number" involved?
In other words, is there "ONE God, period" - is there instead "One God of the Bible" and then ALSO "many gods of many pantheons"?
Would it make any "practical" difference in YOUR worldview?
Yes, this IS an important question.
I believe in one God. I just didn't make such a distinction in that question because I acknowledge that others believe differently, even if it isn't true. My point wasn't that all religions/conceptions of God are true. My point was just that such beliefs exist.
Cool, NOW I get it.
Because it wouldn't be the first time for me to bump into a "Christian" who thinks that it ISN'T "ONE God, period", but rather the OTHER option.
And I mean it seriously.
I'm glad you aren't like that, of course.
:iconjasesaster:
Jasesaster Featured By Owner Jul 16, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think the same answer might be provided. Someone thought of a higher being the one who caused all of this and decided to thank that higher being by worshiping and prayers.
I think some christian/jewish based religions pray to Jehovah and others pray to Yahweh.
Some call it YHWH but the vowel version is Yahweh or something along the lines, I might have been mistaken.
If you have questions about my polytheistic spiritualist point of view, you are welcome to ask.
Triagonal Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
How often do you attend church?
TheUnstoppableTaco Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2020  New Deviant
Two or three times a month, typically.
:icondoraemonpepe:
DoraemonPepe Featured By Owner Jul 17, 2020  New Deviant Student Digital Artist
Nope, but I saw churchs on Muar many years ago.

But according to the KOREAN christ crap video on YouTube:

"If someone has been never go to church for life, it can be punishable on hell after he/she died."

I doubt nothing after all as of recent days.
:iconclassysecretagent:
ClassySecretAgent Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Do you believe in trans rights? Do you believe in gay rights, and most importantly, would you discriminate against LGBT people in ANY WAY, or are you one of those, "live and let live" kinds of Christians?
Live and let live. I retain the right to believe what I want, but I don’t think less of anyone because of their orientation. And yes, I believe in gay/trans rights. No religion has the right to police the behavior of those outside the faith. We may disagree, and even vocally disagree, but we cannot control other people’s lives or what they do with their bodies
:icondgcinfokitty:
DGCinfoKitty Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2020
Do you believe in Gay Rights?
That depends how you define “rights”. I believe the secular world should not be controlled by religious beliefs of any kind. Gays have the right to marry, create families and express themselves without fear of persecution. They do not have the right to force the Church to agree with them.
:icondgcinfokitty:
DGCinfoKitty Featured By Owner Jul 15, 2020
You do realize that Jimmy Carter actually forced racist churches like the Mormons to change their policy by threatening to take their tax exempt status.

Why can't us gays do that?
Add a Comment: