Meditation and physical and emotional pain

It is good to read the texts of Vidyamala Burch, Jon Kabat-Zinn or other authors who have worked on pain management through meditation. I am also more interested in learning about your related experiences and learning from them.

I can describe a simple personal experience:

Six months ago I fell and hit my knee. I went to the medical services and followed the doctor's guidelines. Later I sat down to meditate, I chose as supports the breathing, the sensations of the palms of my hands and the pain of the knee. The pain continued, but I managed to accept it and place it in a place where I am aware of its existence but it does not hinder or block my life. I see this as a preparation for when strong and lasting pain comes.

Unpleasant emotions are manifested in our body with physical sensations. I suppose that if we choose these sensations as the object of our meditation we will learn to relate better to our emotional pain.

I would love to hear your opinions and experiences.
Comments5
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I know I'm late. I do honestly believe meditation helps with pain, I meditate both as a calming source and as a religious action.
I haven't used meditation to numb my pain in a very long while now. I just hate office life. No money to travel, no more adventures.

I am told to do it to forgive mt abusive mother, but I'm not doing that, you can say it's my fault on this department. But my hatred towards her keeps me going.
 I managed to accept it and place it in a place where I am aware of its existence but it does not hinder or block my life.
I learnt this from Tuesdays with Morrie. It helped when I was in the hospital with my foot sewn up. 

And helped a bit when I used to get insanely painful peptic ulcer attacks (I have high pain tolerance but these were so bad my body would shut down and I'd faint/black out from them).

Unpleasant emotions are manifested in our body with physical sensations.
Hmm.. whatever physical sensations manifested due to distress wasn't all that painful, not really anything I felt I needed to specifically focus on and get rid of. 
Life can prepare me for how pain is supposed to feel but not how much it hurts. A lot of pain will still hurt a lot.