Catholicism (Q&A)

Hey all,

One of the things I like to do here on the forum is to take your questions concerning the Catholic faith.

Sometimes it's as simple as stuff about fasting, candles, and protocol, and other times they're of a more philosophical and theological nature.

As long as the questions aren't just mean-spirited half-comments, I'm willing to do my best in answering them.

As always, it's nice to foster actually useful and polite dialogue.
Comments298
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
One last question(or at least what it seems to me now, I'm a thinker so in actuality there is no such thing as a final question but I'll try to contain myself) does the pope have any authority, I know the man in the position once did, to change religious laws or act in a political way? In my faith we have the Universal House of Justice and they can technically make new religious laws they can't change the laws that Baha'u'llah put down but they can't have any political power, they are elected in fairly and is required that they keep the interests of every Baha'i in mind, lately they have been but that might change. Anyways does the pope have any political power outside the Vatican and can he make new religious laws and/or change them? 

If I understand you correctly, the Pope is chief bishop among all bishops. Most bishops are given autonomy over their local jurisdiction. "Cardinals" are titles given to bishops who represent their larger areas (including other bishops) and confer with the pope.

The "college of cardinals" (and Magisterium) and the Pope have authority over the whole Church to discuss both religious disciplines (recommendations and mandates of how we live the faith) and doctrines (more formal, solidified teachings that clarify points of belief).

Disciplines can be changed, and doctrines can be developed.

The Pope oversees as the sort of final say (a sort of Moses figure among his elders, or Peter among the Apostles).

It doesn't always need to reach him in order for something to happen, but he is entrusted with that authority if need be. On the other hand, not everything he says is necessarily authoritative/binding. Even he has to operate under what is called Canon Law, which is a sort of codified wisdom of thing practical and theological.

Sorry if it's not more clear, but it's complicated, much like the streets of Rome.

Okay thank you, that makes sense.

How is it possible that the Virgin Mary gave birth to a male child?

I am not denying her virginity.

In my opinion, she being a virgin and pregnant, could only be the mother of a female girl.

It was discovered a while ago that the 'virgin' Mary was sexually assaulted by a Roman soldier but back in those days she'd have been stoned for being the victim along with the soldier so naturally they didn't speak of it and both got to continue living. And from a lie a religion was born. Like all religions. Emoji| Rick- Burp Sad but true. I'd have loved a magical water-to-wine guy to have existed but reality is as boring as it is dark and depressing. But now you know.

I'm sure there's some complicated genetics going through your head, but sometimes there's no point in over-complicating something.

True! But avoiding noticing something that doesn't make sense in reality doesn't favor simplicity.

It is the male who contributes the possibility of a new male being born.

Without a male's genetic material, only girls will be born (this is not something overly complicated).

What about the practice of kissing hands or asking people for forgiveness? I'm asking because in the Baha'i Faith the kissing of hands definitely in the case of a spiritual leader is forbidden and God is the only one who can forgive sins, him and his manifestations. I'm giving you a quote from the Kitab-i-Aqdas not so I can argue with you on what's right or wrong because that's also forbidden or that I'll be proselyting which is also forbidden, "The kissing of hands hath been forbidden in the Book. This practice is prohibited by God, the Lord of glory and command. To none is it permitted to seek absolution from another soul; let repentance be between  yourselves and God. He, verily, is the Pardoner, the Bounteous, the Gracious, the One who absolveth the repentant"(The Kitab-i-Aqdas, Verse. 34, Baha'u'llah) don't get me wrong, I know you don't follow the laws laid down by the Kitab-i-Aqdas nor am I saying you should or shouldn't that's just to give you an idea where I'm coming from. The seeking forgiveness from manifestations comes from the Bible when Jesus said "...Thy sins are forgiven thee". God bless you sister/brother of another religion but the same God.

Jesus breathed on His Apostles, symbolic of the life God breathed into the world, and said, "Whose sins you forgive are forgiven, whose sins you retain are retained."

God instituted sacrifices for the repentance of sins, baptism, and even gave his disciples the authority to forgive sins, but no Catholic forgives sins by their own merit--only God can forgive-- but rather as Paul says, "It is not I who live by Christ who lives in me."

We share in the life of Christ as members of His Body, and thus we are capable of forgiving sins, sacrificing at the mass for the forgiveness of the world's sins, and forgiving others from our heart as Christ commanded.

The kissing of hands, while not as prevalent any more, is not so much to the honor of any given man, though some may feel that way. It's a respect for the office or what someone, for example a priest or bishop, may represent -- i.e., the hands that offer the sacrifice of the mass.

That's interesting, thank you!! I never thought about it that way. That doesn't mean I agree, I follow a different religion and a different law, but now I think I understand the Catholic way of interpreting the Bible a lot better. God bless.

Be well, and God bless.

How often have you provided others reference to "The Catechism of The Catholic Church" when providing answers to the questions asked of you here?

Not often. I do have it and occasionally if I'm completely unfamiliar with the topic at hand I'll look to it.

It can influence my answers, but I've done a deeper dive into the theology of many things beyond the catechism. To me it's like a dictionary or encyclopedia that's worthwhile to reference whenever your stuck.

Are you a catechist or someone who has received any formal preparation and training to provide others with guidance on such matters as Catholicism?

Other than my words on here, what do you want specified.

I'm also wondering, what about the Apocrypha books? I grew up as a Pentecostal and we didn't have those and as a Baha'i we don't recognize them as scripture either, we recognize both the Old and New Testaments as scripture from the previous dispensations but not the Apocrypha. I also read that Jews also doesn't recognize them as scripture. I'm not judging just interested.

It's a bit of a long argument, but it dates back to the Septuigint and Hebrew Scriptures.

The Jews never felt a strong need to codify their Scriptures formally until Christianity, when they decided on a date (I forget specifically) and that it must be in Hebrew.

This eliminated in their eyes the Greek books of Scripture that Catholics also accept. While we did not codify the cannon of Scripture until Protestants protested it, we do have literature going back to the 1st and 2nd centuries which mostly agree with Catholic Canon.

Our criteria is that Scripture of the New Testament was exclusive to the Apostles and their immediate communities, and that all Scriptural revelation was limited to the Apostles themselves.

Protestants, for all their looking into the early Church to find justification for the books of Scripture, use the Post-Christian Jewish council to exclude the Catholic canon (e.g., Wisdom, Maccabees); Luther did this especially on what is now outdated scholarship. Just interesting to me.

That's interesting. Thank you!!
Alright one of my friends has a guy who is catholic and he’s being an asshole to everyone. What’s the best either insult or way to offend a catholic?

I'm not really in the business of promoting offense for the sake of revenge.

It’s not revenge its justice