Is Love an Enslaving Emotion?

Comment hidden
Comments17
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
In love I give a person everything that I am, everything of who I am is for that person alone to control. So to me yes love is a cage that none escape once locked inside at least not by yourself anyway not normally. It is this knowledge as to why I fear love above all other emotions and also why I so often try to avoid it if I can.
Love is an imponderable you do realize? I suggest reading the Unitarian Universalist Church on this? 
it's an overly used word, that once the lust chemicals calm down people begin to ponder the point of the relationship, looking elsewhere, etc. as for parent/child that's suppose to be another chemical, if it turns for the worst, please seek professional help.  what keeps people together is they want to stick together, so, perhaps it is real love by that point. 
"I think all emotions are manufactured and designed to get a result."

Do you mean designed and manufactured by some god or do you mean by by nature or humans?

Regards
DL
Who knows? If God has made us into puppets of love then that reflects badly on him and us. 
If a god did, I agree, but I see nature as doing it with evolution and that is a good thing as we default to cooperation and love instead of competition and hate.

Nature and evolution drives us to be the fittest and the fittest will be the one who can love the most. Love, so to speak, drives us to be the fittest.

I am a willing puppet to evolution and it's goals as it would be stupid of me to not desire to be the fittest.

Regards
DL
I think love is a controlling emotion in a way. When you love someone it does make you a bit crazy and obsessive sometimes. But I think that craziness is a good thing for Humanity. It would be better if we all loved eachother, we would always want to do right by one another.
I really think it depends on the person.  Some people do really just love being in love.  It's fun.  It feels good.  Some people are captured by it and can't get out of it.  Some people have such bad luck with love that they hate love.  I'm one of those people that falls so hard that I can't even remember having ever been able to stand.  I think it is important to have love, regardless of whether it is a good or bad kind of love.  Love gives us a standard of goodness and care.  If shows us and makes us feel a positive emotion (sometimes).  It gives some of us something to seek.  Without love, I don't think we'd truly understand hate or indifference.  It's important.  It shouldn't be everything, but it should be something.
Love is not infatuation.  Love is a compassionate, intentional act, for the benefit of another.
So you are fine with being manipulated? 

>> Without love, I don't think we'd truly understand hate or indifference.  

Is that a bad thing. I think we would be more spiritually advanced if we did not register hate from other people. And why would anyone be showing us hate if none of us knew love then we wouldn't know hate therefore the person showing us hate would just be being random and not meaning their hate.
Love is allowing someone to manipulate, control, destroy, and break you, but trusting them enough not to. It's spilling all your secrets to someone and trusting them not to speak them to others.

Don't get me wrong, love is messy, rough, and a lot of the time really heart breaking, but we are human. We feel these emotions and we can't stop that. Trying to advance beyond that isn't healthy and will lead to much more destruction than love.
>>We feel these emotions and we can't stop that.

Exactly. We have no choice. Slaves.
love is a mysterious and inscrutable thing. all i know of it is that it defies the natural order of things that reason tells us about. love is not just reproductive instinct because the subject extends to things that are not reproductive. the elderly, the barren, inanimate objects and even noncorporeal things are subject to love. its been said that when you love someone you give that one things expecting no gain in return. it's like and appetite and the opposite of an appitite at the same time
Do you love a comic or a bike as much as a person?  Surely not. 

I would suspect that we love objects because in some way our brain is mistaking those things for food or a tool for survival or even for people to have sex with. 
u cant hold a conversation with a comic. and a bike is predictable. people contain the whole package. surely being fuckable isnt all theyre worth
The brain is probably programmed to enjoy things so we don't just kill ourselves out of boredom. Toys and books and things teach us things and we are programmed to want that. But all these emotions stem from the basic primal emotions of lust and hunger. Our brains mutated at some point so we feel attraction and affection for objects. A lizard is not likely to have much interest in a bike. It sees no use in it. But a human, who came from a lizard, does see a use. It