Should I call this cringe? (I don't feel God is THAT petty)

I was going to call this post "Evangelic cringe", but as I am still unsure as to whether or not I am an atheist, agnostic or something else. I think there might be a God, but I certainly do not think he is as petty as to condemn someone because that someone danced his heart out to Michael Jackson. Apparently, according to this testimony, one can NEVER listen to anything that is not praising God. That's right, not even Jimmy Rodgers will do, lest you burn in Hell. I get the feeling that, if this God is truly like this, then we should not follow him. This terrifies me to think that God, a being that is supposed to be "loving and forgiving" would choose to throw away someone because of something as petty as musical tastes.

What do you think, should we trust testimonies like these or just rest on the Bible? In other words, should I fear for my afterlife because I happen to love Michael Jackson?
Comments28
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The fact is hypocrisy is the greatest sin in the Bible so unless you have some reason you have some big reason to avoid this music no. By the way since God want's you to be true to yourself you may not even want to be Christian. 
Everything is a sin to God.  "No unclean thing can enter into the kingdom of God."  Even the most pure of praise music is a sin, because we are lowly humans and can never measure up to God's perfection.

Christ paid that debt however, and now we owe him instead, at a lesser, but just as stringent requirement: "repent and come unto Christ, pick up your cross and follow him, go and sin no more."  Listen to the Holy Spirit, and you'll know what you ought to do in life.  It's no longer about following strict rules, it's about being the best person you can be, following in Christ's example.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE:

Oops, my bad, I forgot to show all of you the link of the testimony. Here it is. :

rapturewatcher.wordpress.com/2…
.......................What?
God doesn’t care. Personally, I look over the lyrics and see if I agree with them, but you don’t need to listen to specifically Christian music.
The idea God would care to reward or punish us when he could simply rig up the universe to do that better then we could imagine for more rights and wrongs then we could currently understand. The idea that God himself talks rather then personal facets. An infinite God would have infinite expressions. That is the fallacy of Christianity? 
Are we working under the assumption that God talks to us due to obligation and not desire? Or that a reward/punishment systems needed to understand right and wrong? Or that right and wrong is such a complicated subject that the universe would need to be geared in such a fashion?
We are working undern two assumption.

One true morality is an imponderable.

Two God is infinite.
According to Jesus, true morality is easy. We, being evil, were able to figure that out. Even being Godlike is conceptually easy. We have issues doing so because it’s counter to how we’re taught the universe works.

And God being infinite doesn’t influence whether or not he designed the universe in such a way that He, Himself, cannot interact with us. Especially if that was His goal to begin with.
Jesus Christ taught the apostles that morality was this, do nothing you would find hateful, to others and be in awe of God. That was also taught by Isaiah. Jesus is nothing more than a continuation of that ministry.

Isaiah is considered the holy teacher of Jewish morality.

God is basically infinite and if one reads Jesus carefully cares for alll things.

He spends no more time on us then anything else and why should he have one identity like, Yahweh.
To love God with everything you have and are, and to love your neighbor as yourself. Just clarifying, because it it’s not quite the same thing as living in awe of God and not being hateful to others.

And reading the Bible carefully has shown me the opposite. Everything in nature already is as it should be. We are the ones in need of attention, we are the ones God took His time to create; spent an entire evening-morning cycle in Genesis creating, and arguably is still creating to this day, since Jesus dying was planned since the beginning.

God has one identity, but that one identity is infinite.
Yeah I hope if there's a big G up there he's a chill mf unlike how he's portrayed down here lol
OG God is supposed to be down here and up there at the same time so I think we can be sure he's way cooler than annoying door-to-door people make him sound.
Employers ghost candidates all the time and have done for 20 years.

It is rare for an employer to not ghost all the candidates except one of course. I dont expect to get any communication after interview unless I got the job.

reply to bubsby
Being ghosted after sending a resume is one thing, but being ghosted after an in-person interview? That is another thing entirely. 
I have learned to lower my expectations, however.
Yeah and that is what I am talking about and it happens all the time. I was not talking about being ghosted after sending resumes.

I have attended countless interviews in person and never heard the result of any of them. It is standard practice and like I said has been standard practice for over 20 years.

When you get the job they tell you so why is not hearing from them a problem.

I once had an interview and heard nothing for nearly 2 months. I applied for other jobs and after that got an interview for one of them and then I got that second job, and then I was told the first job was mine.  They took 2 months to make up their mind and tell me I had got it.

Just accept they are incompetent and move on.

Maybe 1 in 20 in person interviews gives feedback of any kind.

Being ghosted after sending a resume is not even on my radar.
Just because it's standard practice doesn't mean it's good practice. That's all I'm really saying. 
I agree it is not good practice but it is what it is and sadly we must put up with it.

Remember this we are better than them.  Good luck with your search.
What's this testimony you speak of? We can definitely listen to music that's not strictly praise  & worship music, if that's what you're talking about? He may just consider that type of music the highest or purest form of music. We're told in everything we do, to do it for the glory of God. We're also to be led by the Spirit, so we don't have to worry about do's and don'ts . The Spirit will never lead you to something contrary to the will of God, friend. 
There are so many reasons that's not a solid argument even if it leads to the correct conclusions. 
You could let me know some so I can think over them. 🤔

I just wanted OP to know God's not fretting over him listening to tunes by MJ.
The Holy Spirit is our teacher and guide, literally taking the spot of Jesus' earthly ministry. 
He's also the Spirit of truth. Yielding ourselves to him makes everything easier in what we can do in good conscience.
If, for some reason, OP is to avoid a certain type of music, his spirit will let him know. 
Ok. First off you have to ask, where do these testimonies come from? The only concrete word of god as far as christian faith goes is the bible. Not some rando making stuff up off the top of his head. 
Secondly, if God is the kinda guy that would condemn someone for their musical choice....I think it's safe to say we're batting for the wrong team. If he does this kinda stuff, he's clearly NOT benevolent, is he? Kind and forgiving entities don't do that kinda stuff.