Is art a spiritual experience?

I once heard someone say that we are our own g-ds and art is our creation.

Does anyone feel that they have a spiritual connection with the experience of enjoying and creating art?

Is it safe to say "If nothing else, I believe in art"?
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It does create a nice feeling when something works out
I think spirituality is a word applied to some mixture of confused sensation and emotional state. Being blissful or in ecstasy or another powerful emotional state when creating or enjoying art is probably the reason people tend to do it in the first place.
from what I heard, magic originally was something like creating effects on consciousness by using language. I think it's something like psychological trickery or something. Anyway, it was explained that creating an idea from nothing in your mind and then communicating that idea through your actions into a physical form like art or literature to send the same ideas into another's mind is in it of itself a divine act. In a way it is sorta godlike to create an idea from nothing and making it into a something. That's the Allen Moore philosophy I've interpreted.
My spirituality is awoken by art.

I do not know if that is the same as spirituality being in play when the art is created. Each artist will have his own view on this.

I found waking up the first time when looking at a painting of a scene in the French Revolution that showed the starving and oppressed on the outside of a castle's wall, while within, a great decadent feast was being held. 

Regards
DL
Yes when done well it has a power to alter consciousness, so you'd expect that process starts with the creation. 
I think it is too ambitious to say that our art makes us gods. I think we are all reflections of god and our art is the reflection of that reflection, in that sense art can't be superior but of course may be included in a spiritual experience
I believe it can be and that the potential is very much there if one desires that, otherwise art could just be art too, no strings attached. We're image bearers of the Divine, Creativity himself. Art can be used to express spiritual truths otherwise hidden or obscured/not easily expressed or understood by our mental faculties and soulish state of being. Since we're all human ( I could be wrong :ninja: ) we can pour our own spirit, the spirit(s) of others (when collaborating on a project (or the world's spirit of that time )), and even be used or collaborate with spirits greater than us to make works that truly unveil or give a glimpse of what lies beyond and around us, we're just not keen enough to see/be aware of it at all times. I think you could be totally unaware when it happens too. Wanting to create is an innate desire, and we were made to be god-like on the earth, so I guess this was all a long way to say yes...
Alive people can be seen to be alive.

Dead people are like empty shells when you look at them. Something has departed.  I choose to say it is the soul that has departed.

When making art we can make the most perfect rendition of a person and in their eyes in the art work there is no life.

And yet some art holds within the eyes of the human subject life and energy and intent.

I see the same in animals too two identical artworks can display life in the one and no life in the other.

So what is this life that lives within and why can it appear in an art work. And why can some artists create art that holds this and yet other artists who are just as gifted cannot.

Each artwork is simply a collection of shades patches and colors, how can such a worthless arrangement of scribbles contain such power majesty and emotion. And why is the viewers experience consistent and unvarying. surely this means the picture itself holds a single truth that the viewer can see.

Look at this definition

"In general, it includes a sense of connection to something bigger than ourselves, and it typically involves a search for meaning in life. As such, it is a universal human experience—something that touches us all."

I see in some art a connection to something bigger than ourselves, I see in it a meaning in life, and I see that it touches us all.

Some art then does fully satisfy this description.

And what is this a description and a definition of - Spirituality
Yes and no, but mostly yes.
If there is a spiritual connection to the art, then it is coming from spirit/god/whatever-name-you-would-like - if it comes from a meditative flow state.
The moment there is an expectation of the art or a need for completion, the ego takes over and spirit is no longer in control of it.
However, everything is god, even the ego; so even if the ego is in control there is still something spiritual about it.
Making it or appreciating it? Either way, it can be, but not always.
I believe that for many people, this is true. Art has always been used in a way to describe or express things beyond the earthly or mundane. Speaking from my own personal experience, I always have felt that my art has come from a place beyond myself, as if some part of the universe was speaking through me.  I could certainly wax poetic about such matters, but I hate to reinvent the wheel. Here is an article from Psychology Today about art and spirituality:

www.psychologytoday.com/us/blo…
I think it can be. 
Like you hear about artists referring their high focus moods to the point of ignoring everything around them as "being in the zone" which I assume would be similar to being in a spiritual trance. I haven't been in a trance, but I have felt that I was in the zone.

Also just like spirituality/religion, art has the potential to change and inspire and shape the world views of people. This hasn't really happened with me for more traditional works that come to mind when someone thinks of 'art'  (I definitely have inspirations, but few have cut into that deeper emotional level) but It has happened with books and music which I consider types of art. I wouldn't be the same person that I am now, if I didn't consume some of the media/books/music aka art that I enjoy. And sometimes that enjoyment bleeds into the creator of the work and I start liking the creator and thinking I know them even though I haven't ever met them in person.

In general for me, apart from the 'in the zone' thing, I find drawing therapeutic which is not quite a spiritual experience but it is a way to let out good and bad emotions, which some people might get a similar result out of such things as prayer or other worship practices.
Also, as I am writing fanfiction I think I do experience a spiritual connection with the character because for that period of time, I'm basically sharing the same headspace. (A couple of the characters I write about are gods...or at least technology advanced aliens which have god-like powers. And the canon's and fandom make it very easy to treat them as actual beings that exist.)

'Is it safe to say "If nothing else, I believe in art"?'

I think it is, just so long as "Some people believe in God, I believe in music" www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLqHDh…
and "Art is the weapon against life as a symptom" www.youtube.com/watch?v=63lyA4… are safe to say. 
Well it's true that we are some godlike beings lmao.

I mean really that's why I started to do art. I wanted to create my own little universe and show others what it looks like in there.

But right now I struggle with creative anxiety a lot so.... it's a painful experience for me ^^; you could say it's like giving birth lol. At
the end I am still happy whenever I gave birth to something decent looking though.

(I should stop speaking in metaphors hide