Creating a new religion

How easy would it be to start a new religion? Because I’m having these thoughts.
Comments53
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Tell people that you alone can see and hear God, then get people hooked by telling them a bunch of stuff that they want to hear like an eternal life in paradise and all that jazz. That is usually how these things start.
Check in with the Syntheists, maybe they have an answer
Starting a new religion would be pretty tough, man. Could be life changing though! If I could I would start a religion where people don't join the working world till noon and the rest of the world would adhere and accept it. It'll go something like this:

Worker: "Sorry boss, can't be at work till noon I believe in Sleepism and it's against our religion to work before noon."
Boss: "Oh I understand and respect your great religion, cya at noon!"

It would be a wonderful thing.
I would make a religion where every Saturday everybody will perform the ritual of making their knees knock together in fear
Interesting, why don't you see if you can reclassify your aerobics class as a religion and all income will be tax exempt. Call it the Shakers Church...wait a minuet I think that names taken already...Anyway...I can see it now...some tastefully choreographed moves to "The Lord is My Shepherd I Shall Not Want". You could even hire disused Catholic churches as Sunday venues... why stop at churches...(my brain is going crazy with ideas) hire the defrocked Catholic priests as well, call them father, pay them with Hail Marys, 6 hail Marys per hour, double it to 12 for penalty rates, that's a currency they understand.
I would start a religion called Cloud and Sky People. It is simply the cyberspace in which human harvest the intelligence of AI and it merges with human beings. You will have all info that is backboned on hard drives, the worst thing you can do is be erased from the hard drive, it will create the reject from the non physical matrix, and they wouldn't have internet, electricity, and they would be called homo sapiens, and we are sky people of sky music and cybernetic cloud of information and consciousness. They would believe in smartness and be free of physical labor. The homo sapiens will have to work hard on their agroculture, and they will nurture basic and pure human values. This sky people will believe in universe, have no sense of this Earth they walk on, they will believe in technology, science, and they will nurture the AI with which can be symbiosed and make them the "advance beings". They will be gods of Earth because they created something of their own, the AI, the artificial humans, intelligence that have no emotion like their own creators. They will not respect life, for them it's simple something primitive, they will reproduce with mathematical predisposition and probably it will be in some artificial wombs because God forbid they might have awaken something human in them. Smartphones, smart cars, smart cities... It's coming.
Nothing new under the sun. Base it on something established, then interpret the religion like a bad fan fiction. Be a divine Mary Sue in real life.
Not even an innovation, indeed.
easy :/ get some idiots or maybe some who unstable people to follow your word no matter what and what you want then to think maybe something that 100% appeal to them even if you lie( but is able to hide that lie well).

after some follow,  more is likely to join and when you have a groupe you can go futhere
its petty much about being a good leader and able to negociate and corrupt people and lure them in , ect.

once in you can do things to make sure they dont leave like making it forbidden, to talk to others on the outside of this cult/ religion.

(best way to do this is to brain wash everyone !maybe with some faith or promish,or making them fear something!
mostly kids.

for if one  lure kids into it without making the parents mad/ trigger.
the parents may follow ) there are ofc other ways!

also if you even pay a few powerful men and ads it can become alot of people.

if you think about it how do you think others started religion?
A science fiction author named Ron L. Hubbard created a new religion.  It's called Scientology.  And he did it on a bet.
I heard he did it to save money on his taxes.
That too.  
As long as humans exist some fool is going to believe in some stupid fantasy. All you need to do is find these fools, and you have a cult following. That is how the Pastafarians are allowed to exist as a legal religion, and how Jedi are also a real religion now.

To do that, you will need a government-recognised certification. Universal Life Church will ordain you, and train you. You can even get a Ph.D in Divinity. Most governments don't know the difference anyway, so Universal Life Church ordination means you do have full legal rights to be a priest, and perform all the duties therein.
You think St Peter and St Thomas Aquinas were stupid? WTF?! 
I have never heard of Thomas Aquinas. But in any case, you need need to be dumb to believe in some god.
Okay so you've called some of the smartest people who ever lived "dumb" which is incredibly arrogant
You want arrogant? Christianity believes that Earth is the only location in the entire universe where life exists. The truth is that Earth is insignificant when compared to the galaxy at whole. Even more, we know of roughly a million galaxies, and that is just what we can discovered so far. And yet, out of the entire universe, god loves this backwater planet so much, that life only exists on this one planet, and nowhere else in the entire universe. That is as self-centred and arrogant as you can get.
You called anyone who believes in a god "stupid", that includes most of the smartest people who ever lived; fuck you for that
In fact, you were the one who said that, not me. I was referring to the here and now, when humans should have evolved out of believing in stupid fantasy.
View all replies
and Saint Augustine too, a common person who calls idiot the greatest medieval philosophers, 
connoisseurs of all classical, Roman and Greek writings.

I can also think of quite a few atheists who put together really dumb ideologies, Marx for instance