A question regarding belief/disbelief in God

Here is a question for all of you: if you are a theist, why do YOU think people don't believe in God? And if you are an Atheist, why do YOU think people believe in God? 
Comments435
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
As an agnostic I gave the same answer to both: because it's a tough pill to swallow.
I belive  some people don't belive in god because they can explain everything that happens in the world without needing the presence of some creator. 

on top of this they see people do stupid things in the name of God and do not want to become like these people.

P.S I belive in God but I want to answer the other side as well.

I  can not answer all the resason people belive people belive in god but i think the most basi cone if that they are willing to open there mind to the possibilty (let god in) and they then fell they have seen things /  can make arguemtns to justify this belive.
Just like we need food to physically survive, we need spiritual food also. It's called grace. It's free. Just ask God for it.
If you don't have grace you grow spiritually weak. You fail to exercise your conscience to determine what's good or bad. Everything becomes subjective - relative to something that you "feel". After a while it becomes frustrating to rationalize away certain moral & ethical actions. Then after a while it becomes tiresome so you chuck the "God belief". Now you feel free; you are enlightened.
You now ask questions, perpetually, about God, beliefs, atheism, religions, religious authority, etc., etc. on forums like this one.
Wait I'm confused. You say that we need spirituality as much as we need food and as a source for morality, but then it seems you are saying that to chuck the "God belief" you become free and enlightened. So do we need spirituality or not?
The point I was trying to make is that those who chuck the God belief feel themselves to be free and enlightened. They feel they themselves set their own standards to live by.
Society creates the standards by which we live.  These standards create social morality.  We don't need a religious morality.  That is why it was OK to stone children to death for being disrespectful to their parents in biblical times.  I would much rather live by my standards than those set in the Bible.  Even the Golden Rule is subjective.  Would you want to be treated the same way a masochist wants to be treated?  With the exception of psychopaths and sociopaths, most people will treat others with respect unless their religion preaches that people only deserve respect if they follow their religious beliefs, i.e., sex out of wedlock, gay men and women, and people who get abortions.  Morality is subjective whether you believe it or not.
I think theres a lot of reasons people believe in Gods tho I think the main reasons are comfort and cuz they were raised religious 
Technically, I'd be a theist, although it's not a very accurate term to use for my beliefs. Okay, to summarize my beliefs: Yes, I believe in the existence of gods, including the Abrahamic god. However, I don't believe any of them, not even the Abrahamic one, to have created the universe or anywhere near almighty. They are just spirits; very powerful and influential spirits, but spirits nonetheless. And spirits are just another type of organism of the natural world, they're simply made of energy and matter that we can't directly interact with or observe. A.K.A. dark matter and energy.

With that outta the way, I'll answer your question: I believe the vast majority of those who call themselves atheists in the Western world would better be described as Christian-inspired anti-theists. Basically, while they reject Christianity, they still hold the same beliefs with a few replacements here and there. They may not believe in the original sin of disobeying their almighty creator, but they do believe in the original sin of superstition. They may not believe in the punishment of Hell, but they do believe in the punishment of barbarism and the lack of progress. They may not believe in resurrection of Jesus Christ saving them from their sins, but they do believe in the scientific method saving them from their ignorant past.

Why do they believe this? Because they see the damage Christianity has caused throughout its entire history and rejects it. Not only that, but they deem all religion to be just as damaging as Christianity has been and decide to forsake all forms of spirituality. However, these are people born and raised in the Christian mindset, so they naturally tend to form a worldview that emulates it, with only a few adjustments here and there.

Which is ironic, considering that the very reason why Christianity caused so much damage and devastation in the first place is because of the absolutist "my way or the highway to Hell" thinking that's at the very heart of the faith, which is the same exact mentality most of these anti-theists have adopted.
the love has been given do not let it pass you love is patient it is waiting for you
im agnostic and I think people believe in god because they need something bigger than themselves to feel validated in having the greater goal of heaven filling up what they believe is an otherwise pointless life.
Most atheists have eyes, but they cannot see, they have ears, but they cannot hear. Unless God opens their "spiritual eyes and ears", only then they can start to believe in Him. Otherwise, they're blinded from seeing the truth.
I dunno what's more pathetic: your ego telling you every non-Christian is by definition a dumbshit or lair, or it telling you that your words have any worth in the first place because you autmoatically discount the words coming from any non-Christian as worthless.

Why should we listen to you if you'll never listen to us? Do you even have any empathy to compute how anyone disagreeing with you might feel when you say shit like this? Or do you just not care because you got the Bible so shoved up your ass keeping your head company?
You don't have to listen to me. I'm not the one who can open your eyes or ears. But, that is the truth and the truth will make you free. Unless you completely locked yourself up, then there's nothing much we can do to set you free. 
Ah yes, set myself free with the notion that I'm worthless and undeserving of salvation, but so long as I submit myself to my almighty creator, who is neither almighty nor my creator, I can attain salvation. Thus, there's literally no reason for you not to come and torture me to try and "open my eyes" and end my life if I don't convert after all that. In fact, it's your moral obligation to do so, according to your beliefs.

That's why the Abrahamic cults (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc.) have histories rife with lies, theft, and bloodshed. You live by the sword, and you will die by it if you keep this up.
If it is any consolation, he doesn't actually put thought into what he is saying and is just mindlessly parroting Bible quotes and Christian stock phrases. He has literally spent years on this forum doing nothing but this and any attempt to reason with him as been akin to getting a machine to do something it wasn't programmed to do...

... queue Koshej making some "No U" response about Atheists.
Do you allow for a chance that some people actually have less "comfort"-related reasons than others?
Yes, but you're clearly not one of 'em.
well sure, but I think most of that is being born into a faith. VERY rarely do you see people who aren't born into a faith become members of that faith. I also think you need at least a little bit of the first reason I mentioned to stick with a faith you're born into. 
Spoiler alert, he is leading into how his belief in God is based on a "knowledge" of true history. Spoiler alert times two: his idea of history is extremely biased towards the claims of the Torah to the extent that he stubbornly refuses to accept any contradictory archeological research, is uninterested in the stark lack of any supporting documents confirming the claims, and will make up unprovable outlandish stories to dismiss anything else that does not validate his religion's claims.
cmon man, you've seen me on these forums before. im a big boy! I can handle myself against the big, scary koshej. im familiar with his beliefs and his justification for them, and I've gotten into it with him enough for anything either of us says to be rehash, so trust me when I say it's a rabbit hole I wont fall down ^-^

thanks for lookin out for me tho love <3
Fair enough. I just know that he has taken up the habit of trying to make himself seem wise and others stupid by not actually telling people what he is referring to and insisting that they must do research (or more like become literal mind readers).
He just sent a blank response. That is a ego boost coming from him.
lol yeah I know the score
View all replies
Have you noticed conspiracy theorists often say "Do your research!" the most? Flat earth people, Koshej and clones?
View all replies