Self-improvement

I would like to ask you for your genuine answer to a simple question:

Is there something fundamentaly wrong about self-improvement?

I myself always viewed it as a good thing. Sure, at times I was lazy to even try (who wasn't, right :lol: ).
But what do I know. I would like to hear your opinion :)

Thank you.
Comments69
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
For the most part, it's good. If you know you have some things to work on, you should always at least try to do that. :nod:

If it turns into perfectionism and you drive yourself to be better no matter what, though, then it can be problematic.
The "no matter what" is always kinda alarming.
No not at all. İt is very important for one to improve theirselves.
I believe that you should always look to better yourself in some way 
It's a double edged sword.

Self improvement is good and all, but if you're always dissatisfied and always chasing after getting better and better you'll never feel fulfilled.

So self improvement too should be done in moderation. Strive for self improvement but don't chase after it. Stop for a while to admire how far you've come, give yourself a pat on your back and tell yourself, hey I'm not so bad.
This actualy caught my attention.

I think I grasp what are you trying to say, however I am not very familiar with it.
To me it is more like a hunger, a need or a duty.
Hm I see... Well as long as it doesn't burn you out in the long run, it's all good.
So far so good.
However even if it would, I don't know how to switch out of this mindset.
Hope it says good :D

Though who knows? People change, sometimes more than they can imagine themselves, sometimes barely at all.
Depending on how you define it, I guess there's nothing inherently bad about self-improvement, unless you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
Alright, how would you define wrong reasons? :)
Um, training in martial arts for the purpose of attacking people rather than self-defense (this was what I came up with)
Well, if you feel an urge to attack people your martial art skills are not what should concern you :lol: The problem is somewhere else.

But I know what you mean by that :nod:
I find just the idea to dissert on this strange. Errare humanum est, like the romans said, mistakes are human, we are not perfect, so we are self improving in order to try to reach an Idea of perfection, but it's like a asymptot on a mathematical function : we will never reach it, even after an infinite time.... Even when we recieve some help it's still self improvement : life is a Guided Work of Personnal Interest, but with a big P at Personnal and a very little g in guidance...
Sure. But does that mean we shouldn't even try to be better? :confused:
We Can become better, but not the best. We aim at the star, but stepping on the moon is already a good start.. like some little greeny Friend would say There's no try: do or do not. It's when you think that you Can only try that you fail... But admitting that we can fail is the first step to success...
The Empire Strikes Back - Yoda Icon 2 Hmm... right you are.
Failure a Great teacher is (only good thing in SWTLJ).. but fear too. Fear is not the path to the dark side, admitting that we fear to fail can give us the energy and the will to prevent this failure, as danger of death give us adrenaline to have energy to fight this danger...
I preffer quoting Kreia or Jolee Bindo (from KotOR. Do you know KotOR?)
I know but i did not play it. Maybe some day i'll buy it on Steam, i think it's not too expensive. But i like Kreya, she's a good point of view... But all come from our points of view, doesn't it ?
View all replies