Shop Forum More Submit  Join Login

Details

July 12
Link

Statistics

Replies: 43

your worst self

:iconwitchladyartisan:
WitchLadyArtisan Featured By Owner 4 days ago  New Deviant Professional Artisan Crafter
If there is anything about yourself that you could remove, what would it be.    
I am not talking about body parts or things you own but personality traits you wish you didn't have but ended up having anyway.

I'll start off by naming my own personality trait that I would rather not have : impulsivity, it's very nature makes it very difficult to be anything else but impulsive by nature, which could be a flaw to overcome if it works against you more than it works in your favor.  
As it suggest a personality that is easily manipulated by strong impulses ... which is true in my case.    And the way to overcome it is to be tactical about which impulses to fight and which ones not to fight.  Or which ones to fight to a certain extent.  

Chime in and have a chat! 

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconuniversalgravitation:
universalGravitation Featured By Owner 2 days ago  New Deviant Hobbyist Artist
I'd just remove myself entirely.
WitchLadyArtisan Featured By Owner 1 day ago  New Deviant Professional Artisan Crafter
And deny the rest of us the pleasure of your company?!
:iconuniversalgravitation:
universalGravitation Featured By Owner 14 hours ago  New Deviant Hobbyist Artist
Yes.
:iconwrite-on-time:
Write-on-Time Featured By Owner 3 days ago  New Deviant Hobbyist Writer
My professional system of procrastinating. Don't get me wrong I always finish what I need to on time but for some reason I work best when the hot breath of an upcoming deadline moistens the back of my neck!
WitchLadyArtisan Featured By Owner 1 day ago  New Deviant Professional Artisan Crafter
hehe,  that's recognizable and understandable :p
:iconlucky-fennec:
Lucky-Fennec Featured By Owner 3 days ago  New Deviant Student Traditional Artist
My laziness. 
Do you know what makes you feel lazy?
:iconlucky-fennec:
Lucky-Fennec Featured By Owner 13 hours ago  New Deviant Student Traditional Artist
I think it's the fact I've grown not too care for things so I've grown too be lazy because I don't see the point in caring. Though my analysis may be wrong.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Writer
Worrying too much about what other people think of me. That has led to more trouble in my life than anything else.
WitchLadyArtisan Featured By Owner 3 days ago  New Deviant Professional Artisan Crafter
Yes,  I imagine that is mostly crippling for you.   But on the bright side, you can be sure that people don't think of you half as much as you imagine they do :) 
Lytrigian Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist Writer
I'm sure they don't. Unless we're talking about family, I'd think.
family is only put on this earth to be a pain in your ass, that goes for us all :p
Lytrigian Featured By Owner 6 hours ago  Hobbyist Writer
I live 2500 miles from my family, which makes it even stupider on my part.
:iconoakktree:
oakktree Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Student
I feel like I'm slowly getting a handle over my thoughts but there's still a story that I hear sometimes. Which comes from a bad childhood and I've only repeated it as I've gotten older, in the form of my reaction to every situation I've ever been in...That story is is pretty much that nobody loves me and everybody leaves me. 

I can hear it when my partner is being really genuine and she says something lovely and I respond with "yeah ok" or if I'm complimented, in general. 

I think a lot of these things are just stories we're telling about ourselves, to ourselves. It's really difficult, but it can be rewritten. 
WitchLadyArtisan Featured By Owner 3 days ago  New Deviant Professional Artisan Crafter
That must be horrible for you and I do have lots of sympathy for abused children (if that's what you meant with bad child hood),  do you feel emotions most of the time or do you try to shut them off?  If you feel like sharing of course, I don't mean to be imposing.   I'm genuinly interested in what people have to say in response to my threads and I always respond.  
oakktree Featured By Owner Edited 3 days ago  Student
Oh there's no problem. 

I think that if there was a scale of emotions from 1-10, the emotion that I feel is 7-10.

I suppose it's sort of the opposite. I don't feel anything most of the time but I'm slowly...turning them on? I think there's a history of depression in my family, that nobody has ever been open about or tried to really really seek help for. My aunt once told me that my grandmother took a pill every day to stop her from bursting into tears. My aunt herself has fallen into a hole, my mother used to be afraid of leaving the house. As for me, there were a lot of things that shouldn't have happened. And I have only just realized that I've been carrying those events with me and turning every new situation into them. 

It's a little strange to me. Like, I don't remember feeling a lot, ever. I remember over thinking and jumping to crazy conclusions but that would never cause a serious emotion? Like, I could get frustrated easily, or annoyed. Then there would be periods where I couldn't get out of bed or do normal things that were good for me. So it's either, I feel absolutely nothing, with a tinge of annoyance, or it's paralyzing. 

I'm slowly getting a handle on things in my head. There's memories I have that I know my brain has purposely hid, there are still mornings where it feels like I'm missing a part of myself, sometimes those mornings turn into a month long bender of not getting out of bed. But I'm starting to choose to get rid of the anger and the annoyance. Surprisingly to me, my transition has brought along a little bit of compassion. Not to say I didn't always...care? About people. I do and I have. I think all people deserve wellness. I can understand people's situations and connect to things they've gone through, I just don't really feel empathy. So this new surge of compassion is a little overwhelming. It's only happened twice so far, where I was speaking to my partner about someone important to me and it hurts my heart so badly that that person feels so...gone. Which brings me to tears and that action is startling, to me. But I do consider it to be some sort of personal progress. Aside from those few moments, I'm much less annoyed, but I still feel nothing. So maybe my scale is a little like 6-10 now. 
I believe every word you say
oakktree Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Student
I hope so. The only stories I have to tell are my own. 

As someone who is impulsive, do you find moderation to be something that's difficult? Can being impulsive lead to addictive qualities? Or is it solely in your actions? 
Moderation is something I have to be aware of, constantly if I want to curb my impulsivity.  
And yes, it most certainly can lead to addictions.    See my picture with the cigarette? :p 
:iconmonomer-godzilla:
monomer-godzilla Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Anger. Little things set me off sometimes and I feel like I'm burning inside when I get that way. I wish I could be calm and patient but I don't know how to start really.
What makes you angry? 
monomer-godzilla Featured By Owner 3 days ago
Mostly just minor annoyances at best or thinking about the past. I don't do anything to 'show' anger, mostly just sit there, clenched teeth and trying my hardest to get it to go away quickly. It works, but truly all it does is push it back more so I have something else to deal with in the future. 
I can say from personal experience that if its a lot of small things that make you unreasonably angry for the small inconveniences they pose its probably something else that makes you angry.   That was true for me at least.   I became a much happier person after I found out what it was.  
monomer-godzilla Featured By Owner 15 hours ago
I'm not sure how I go about finding what the root cause of my anger is. I have many things in my life that have impacted me that might be the cause but ultimately, I don't know which causes all this anger. I've been debating going back to therapy for a while and I think I will, just to fix  this anger isn't me because it isn't healthy. Like, at all. 
:icondjnotapplicable:
DJNotApplicable Featured By Owner 4 days ago  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
Self-doubt
not always a bad thing tho
although I will admit that usually it is

but looking at your art you have little reason to doubt that at least! 
you have a great gallery 
:icondjnotapplicable:
DJNotApplicable Featured By Owner 3 days ago  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
thank you for the kind words
:iconrainbowz4:
Rainbowz4 Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Student Digital Artist
When I switch to my worst self I switch to a "Any possible threat is an enemy that must be eliminated," mindset and I lose all control over my emotions while also trying to control everything around me. It's natural for me to manipulate the situation and try and fix any holes in plans and things like that but when I'm at my worst I just go hyperbole.
It's a fear response isn'it it?  like a fight or flight but you are just prepared to fight instead of flee
:iconrainbowz4:
Rainbowz4 Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Student Digital Artist
Paranoia I guess.
:iconmajartsy:
MAJArtsy Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
I guess my worst self would be my obsession with self-control. It prevents me from enjoying most of my social interactions. No matter how much I love someone, the slightest thing not going how it should (in my head) will make me automatically reject them or be extremely uncomfortable if I manage to fight my urge to run away.
WitchLadyArtisan Featured By Owner 4 days ago  New Deviant Professional Artisan Crafter
you are a perfectionist
It's interesting because it's not the first word which would have come to my mind. I'd have more thought to "close-minded" or something similar.
you are narrowminded when you you are being perfectionist how else are you going to pay attention to detail?
You make a point.
I'm a perfectionist, I know what I'm talking about
Oh! In that case, I have a question: Do you see it more as a strength or a problem ?
it has been an obstacle my whole life , it takes me notably longer to finish anything, but you can be sure it will be done well
(1 Reply)
you are narrowminded when you you are being perfectionist how else are you going to pay attention to detail?
Add a Comment: