Do You think we will ever be Happy?

I posted a forum on here a while ago and someone asked me what my thoughts on happiness were and the idea of happiness is one that fascinates me..

..so the floor is open to you do you think people today are far less happy than they were years ago with the rise of consumerism and more demanding jobs/ lifestyles. Or do you think that all the progress made in recent history has massively improved peoples lives and in toe they are more happy...

...so what is happiness... :D
Comments103
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Well Im pretty happy.... not sure about everybody else.. I think everybody will always want more.
happy: I don't know how to describe it.
but I think that most of us are unhappy because we are trying too hard to be happy. You know what I mean?
Just stop "trying" to be happy, live life to the full, enjoy life, and you will be happy. :D
DeviantART makes me happy ^^
Yeah I always find when I try to be happy it is harder to be happy than spontaneous happiness :)
The easiest way we internally define happiness (i.e. how we can tell when we're happy) is to compare it to other ways we've felt, and if it's especially good in comparison, we say we're happy.

I wouldn't want to always be "happy", because without sadness and misfortune, I would have no way of internally knowing what happiness is, and a day that would be awesome now, would just be an average sort of emotionless "blah".
Ahh... happiness... something that I lack in my life hah... I do think that happiness is different though for everyone. What one might enjoy could be totally different for another. Finding happiness is tough though. I've noticed that a lot of people in society pretend to be happy when they really aren't. Too many put up a front just to fit in or to prove something to someone. So I guess genuine happiness is pretty rare. I also think that there is a significant difference between being "happy" and "content".
Yeah definitely
:| "WE"? No. People just don't get happiness comes from within
I think the best humans can do, based on what we know about the world we live in, is to deal with happiness/unhappiness similar to changes in weather and climate. Like weather and climate, emotions do not stand still. We do what we can to stay warm and dry while under storm; we similarly cope with unhappiness. We do what we can to enjoy the sunny sky while it lasts; we similarly cherish happiness while it lasts. Emotions, as well as weather and climate are ever-changing; they cannot be possessed.
I wish there was a weather man for happiness :)
I believe that, yes, we will all be happy at some point.

However, completely content? No. At least, not in most cases. As human beings we strive for our goals, and when we do finally achieve them we set new ones. We are never content, and are always striving to better ourselves not just for happiness, but for reason as well. So basically, most humans are never truly content because they're always striving for something more. We can be happy at times, but there's always a drive to want to do more because each and every one of us wish for a purpose when our purpose is gone.
nice argument I see what you mean about us being driven by our goals and when we reach them we raise the bar again :)
Happiness is subjective and people can't miss something they don't know is possible so hard to say. The lost of old crimes is replaced by new crimes. I think that people are possibly more happy now but to hard to say really.
yeah I would agree with that. you never know what your missing till it's gone
Yup or what you don't have if you don't know to want it.
I think if the human race was a bit stupider it would be a lot happier. The average lifespan would probably shrink, but at least you could possibly enjoy the ride more.
Ignorance is bliss
Indeed it is.
Happiness is simply when you are not feeling sad. If you are not sad, you are happy. Theoretically this holds truth.
I guess but can't you just be not sad and be indifferent instead of just happy
I know where your coming from and that is why I said theoretically.

Sorry if I sound like an ass but can you describe what this indifference will be?

Let me give you a practical example:
The word try is suppose to be the inbetween of doing something and not doing it.
So, I want you to try to push an object and be able to clearly say to me that you have neither pushed it or left it.

There is simply no inbetween theoretically but as humans we can say otherwise regardless.
true what I meant sorry, is that even though we are not necessarily sad or upset, doesn't mean we are necessarily happy or overjoyed (I guess you could argue this is happiness on a contented level). This is just how I feel so feel free to disagree :)
I don't have the right to disagree nor did I ever, I was simply suggesting my view. It is fair what you are saying.
thank you and your view is fair too :)
Happiness is not wanting more than you already have.