Cartoon and Fictional Crushes

Ever since I was little I've have crushes cartoon and fictional characters. I draw them with me to ease my loneliness. I already know that they aren't real. Still to this day, I wish our world was like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" where toons and real people get together.

I'm trying my best to put aside my fantasies and learn to face the real world and fall in love with a real person. Don't get me wrong, I've had crushes on popular guys from 1st grade to 12th grade but never won their hearts. 

A part of me is saying that there is nothing to be ashamed of having crushes on cartoon and fictional characters but the other is saying that if I keep this up nobody is going to want me.
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I don't think there's anything wrong with it in principle.  Conceptually it seems like a sort of variant on liking a celebrity that you know you'll never actually meet.  In either case you're romanticizing an idea - which, in the abstract, is something that people have been doing for....basically forever.  It would be something to worry about if it were taken to an unhealthy extreme, but you seem appropriately self-aware. 
You 2D you, haha. I recommend viewing the anime 'The world god only knows'.
Me personally, I'd much rather have imaginary girlfriends and boyfriends instead of the real thing, real relationships are too much drama and deception and mind games, fuck that shit.

I'm happier with hentai, I wish I kept my virginity because all the people I had sex with were bitches, and turns out I'm happier jerking off and that real sex grosses me out.
I think much like any crush, crushing on a fictional character can be helpful for making yourself feel better. When it becomes problematic is when it becomes unhealthy, such as obsessing over a fictional character. But if you're aware that it's just a crush, that you're unlikely to ever meet that character, and try to keep yourself in reality for the most part, there's nothing wrong with dipping your feet into the water and crushing on someone fictional.
Here's some videos on crushes I was watching that probably help explain better than me. One is on unhealthy crushes, and one is on healthy crushes. Check them out when you get the chance.
As much as I've appreciated many fictional characters over the years, I've never understood "fictional character crushes". Wishing that cartoons would become real sounds like a form of escapism to me and not real love. I'd suggest trying more IRL hobbies, expanding your interests and going outside more. There's a lot to appreciate in the real world, even without crushes and romance.

There's nothing to be ashamed about with having a harmless coping mechanism for loneliness but it is only a band-aid solution to whatever depression or other deeper issues you might be dealing with.
don't feel obligated to get a real life partner if that's not actually what you want. it's perfectly fine to stay single if you're content with fictional characters, don't feel pressured that you 'have' to get a partner. when i was young i crushed on some ppl in real life cuz they looked attractive, but didn't feel the desire to actually date them or all that jazz.

of course it's also fine if you actually want a real partner. i just hear alot about ppl rushing into relationships they don't actually want, all because they don't want ppl to see them as someone who can't get a date. as long as you aren't hurting anyone, you should do whatever makes you happy. i'd say it's better to have a partner who accepts your crushing on fictional character (maybe a partner who also crushes on fictional characters so you can relate), instead of trying to appeal to a partner who would be close-minded and try to 'fix' your crush tendencies
just don't expect what you're seeking to be like the fictional character and you should be alright.  however, even though it's not seen as legal in the eyes of the court, you can marry a fictional something, a huggy pillow, a character you created via a game, robot, etc.  even yourself... what could be a benefit is finding someone who is into similar things and you won't feel so lonely when you crush, into something, etc.
I say it's all a matter of being balanced. Crushes on fictional characters, actors, singers... who cares? Who are you hurting? 
To me, it's all right as long as you don't hurt anyone and as long as you don't forget to live. Like, feel free to have some crushes for fictional characters here and there, but don't focus solely on that. 
hear hear 
We've all have crushes on fictional characters. It's fine. It's always fun to dream, and us artist have the advantage of drawing out our fantasies. ;) (Wink)

Drawing Awesome Face Icon 

Holo: "Care to have breakfast with me?" Horo Wink 

Me: Shintarou Kisaragi (Grin) [V5]

XD Ah a person can dream. XD

I like fictional characters and most of the anime fandom does too. There are so many people that have this sort of thing that you can date someone and never learn that they like them as well, because they are just as embarrassed as much as you are from admitting it.
This is a very common thing some people even marry fictional characters although this is on the extreme end.
It's not unheard of to have a crush on a cartoon and fictional character I used to have a crush on the pink power ranger when I was younger and also Sora from Digimon I also had a crush on my own character Stacey as well
Oh, don't worry about it. Many people have cartoon crushes and there's nothing wrong with that if the crush is healthy (so nothing extreme like worship or a crush that takes over your life to the point where you can't function in society). 

Plus, you shouldn't have to worry if a irl person will approve of your cartoon crush. If they genuinely loved and want you then they would understand it's just a crush on a fictional being. Of course, it should be respected both ways and you shouldn't cram your cartoon crush into all of your conversations and daily life with your loved one.

Honestly, the most important part of this is that you are happy with whatever and whomever you choose to admire Heart