THERES NO JOBS!

My area has so little jobs now cus of COVID. The only extra positions open are now recommendation only basically. 

It sucks cus what chance do I have when I go in, saying I’ll work well, when the business already has three employees vouching for their little siblings! I lost every time.

Ive been looking for online jobs, but they all want someone with years worth of prior experience! They also want thing like professional grade headphones which I cannot afford.

I thought maybe I could do an art job, but I don’t think my art is good enough.
AAAAAAAGH what do I do!?
Comments21
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Look for high turnover jobs like Home Depot, hobby lobby, grocery stores, fast food places. They might not be very fun but they’re easy to get and alway have positions open. 

That’s a good idea! I don’t have anything like home depot or hobby lobby anywhere near me, but I think I know so,e grocery stores I could try for. Gunna be difficult but I’m gunna try anyway

factory? retail? temp? asking friends/family? self employment? Amazon? currently some countries are offering out a higher welfare and unemployment benefit including other government assistance.  probably is a good time not to suddenly quit a job but just deal with it until after the pandemic passes. postal service could be hiring but you have to meet certain requirements.

Yep. Also, you mentioned quitting, I just want to say I didn’t quit my recent job, it had an employment time limit off the summer months.

What about going door to door offering to rake leaves for money?
Maybe you could look for remote jobs like Data Entry, that's what my brother does and he certainly doesn't have years of experience-- unless you count sweeping floors at Wendy's as experience, but I really don't know how that would apply to Data Entry.  If you aren't dyslexic (or something else that makes it difficult to transfer text and numbers accurately from one thing to another thing) it might be a good option for you.  It's a thing companies need, and not a job people think of looking for very often.  Similarly sometimes companies need somebody to transcribe audio into text.. idk what that job is *called* but it's another one that people don't usually think of when they're looking or work so you might be able to find something.
The recommendation only thing sucks but perhaps it can be used to your advantage.
Have you asked all friends and acquaintances of yours if they know someone who's looking for an employee, even if it's a small job or (paid) internship?
It could be in completely unrelated businesses but may be worth a try for now.

For the online job you mentioned, did they explicitly say your current headphones aren't okay? Because maybe they'll let it slide if you do it with them.

In our area, you can get money for donating blood plasma. Maybe that's something you can try too if it's available.
When I did it, it made me feel very light-headed because I'm nervous around needles but at least they gave me tons of dextrose candy so I don't lose consciousness, lol.

Also, be bold and apply to art jobs in the forum and try different platforms whenever your time allows it.
Best of luck
Same here, especially now with the whole virus thing. There wasn't work to begin with and now tons of people are jobless.
Oh the employment situation is shit all over the place, the amount of freelance work has also gotten worse, sure there is a fuck tonne of manga/anime and comic work for folks, especially here, which I suppose is good for those who focus on that... not for others though, the 'free market' and gig economy is very trecherous, decent work is sparse now, in part because few can afford to patron an artwork or design project, and those who can are often more interested in a high return at the expense of the artist/designer. All I can say is to not to give up on what you do, there will be times when you feel under pressure, keep on persisting and practicing, you aren't alone in this, many major artists have been through the same experience except for the predatory economy. Also if you start to take on more freelance work... join a Union, or even a like minded community and defo learn how to negotiate with clients for better conditions.
If your biggest concern is buying that professional grade headphones and not eating to survive then I think you are doing okay as compared to 90% of the world's population right now. Just saying! Don't @ me.
You say that.... but I only eat one meal a day👀 I said the bit about the headphones because I can’t even try. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

>I only eat one meal a day

D:

I did not know that. Sorry

It’s ok! its Not something you’d know unless I told you👀

Well, you can make onlyfans account and take money from desperate simps.

😂I’m not cute enough for ANYONE to simp for me, but thanks

Okay, first. 1- job 'requirement' lists are actually job 'wish' lists. Apply anyway. Most people get hired because the interviewer likes you. Your skills are secondary to being likeable, when you're a newcomer to the field.

2- you can do commissions if you want.

3- you can make stock asset packs if you don't feel competent enough to do for-hire art. I agree you're not studio-artist level but there are several ways low-tier artists can get a foothold in without having to impress Pixar to do it. Stock textures, stock photos, stock buttons, packs of emotes, transitions for YouTube, music samples made from midi files and dressed up... packs for gamers, avatar kits, customization items for SL characters, brush sets... honestly, the list goes on, you do NOT need to be a highly skilled, trained artist to start making a trickle of art money. Is it terrifying at first? ...Yes. It took me 7 years to get to a somewhat stable point where I can say I make my money from art alone. But the great thing about the art world is that anyone can start chipping into it, without education or expensive equipment even, and improve your assets as you work up the mountain. Make a few things that could get you "passive income". I get passive income from RPG token and map assets. A friend of mine gets passive income from Zazzle teeshirts. Things that trickle a continual small amount of income into your life are easier to make when you have an abundance of time, which it seems that you have, so get making!
Thanks for the tips! Your totally right, and I’m gunna try out assets! 
Hey I feel you bro,

My parents, friends, neighbors, most of the people I know have been struggling to get a job. It's nothing we can do though but I'm very sure that it'll be over soon. After all, this virus isn't going to last long now that a vaccine is already in the making.

My advice is to just keep on practicing and learning on your preferred profession/career if you have free time especially in this pandemic. You still need to keep your eye out and grab every job opportunity you get, regardless if you can get hired or not. 

Also, If you're not confident in your art skills then at least try your best to improve it. I always think that my art isn't good before and up until now I still think that it sucks. Now I'm currently working as a comic artist for a start up company. Is this a good thing? Yes and No... It's good that I have a job now to pay the bills at least but I'm pretty inexperienced with making western comics as most of my artworks are semi-realistic pin ups of sexy women... the art style alone can't be applied in comics due to the dreaded deadline forcing me to do lots of crunch times. That didn't stop me from doing my job though, hard work and perseverance is key after all.

It's tough when you can't find a job yet. But if you can at least do a particular skill that most people can't, improve on that, and eventually jobs will find you.

🥰🥰🥰🥰 thanks for the supportive words