Thinking of going to the doctor but...

I have recent self harm scares on my thigh and a gynecologist will inevitably see them, I think ?

This is bothering me, I don't want them to ask about it, I don't wanna explain or have to lie about the origin of the scars.

I wonder if they are supposed to care about things that are unrelated to their field or if they will just ignore that, I never been to one before, and I think I really need to go this time.

I'm thinking of hiding it with some bandage, but still afraid they are gonna ask, or ask me to uncover it to look at the wound and realize it's not a wound but a scare of something that already healed :[
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Well this video doesn't talk about self-harm scars. But it might help you with any nerves about going to see the gyno
www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6aYRg…
Thanks, this kind of makes it look a bit more normal, but then I odn't know if all gynos are gonna have the same mindset or if some can be rude or judgmental or something like that.
No, don't hide it under bandages, it'll just make it more noticeable. If it's just a scar, no one will care. It's already healed, so a medic will definitely ignore.
It's a few scars, like 6 lines so it looks a bit weird, and fairly recent.

So they are self-harm scars. an experienced medic will figure that out pretty quickly, but as they see the injuries are healed, they won't mention it. It's really not their line of business.

Unless the medic is overly friendly and caring, then she actually might mention. But in my opinion, it's clear you're nervous, it's clear you're hurt, so there would be no need to make it even worse.

Firendly caring people are the worst <_<
 have recent self harm scares on my thigh and a gynecologist will inevitably see them, I think ?
Possibly, but in my experience, if the scars are already healed, they won't probe. 

They will/are supposed to care if they see something which makes them worried about your well-being (e.g. raw/new "serious attempts" of self-harm). But most Doctors are so busy (in a rush to see as many patients as possible, they are pretty unlikely to dive into other areas unless as I mentioned, there is something immediately threatening your health/well-being. 

Okey, that makes sense, I'll just tell myself that until I'm there at least.
It really depends on who you see and what the standards of care are where you are. I can only speak for what I've seen here going to a number of ob/gyn appointments with my wife. She has some red flag type stuff in her chart and on her body that could either be seen, not seen, or ignored.

For the most part the doctor doesn't notice anything. They're busy and it's like "what's the issue, here's what I think, the nurse will be in to give you the prescription" and that's the last you hear from them.

Some notice things and ask - sometimes in detail. Usually that's if there are students there who check everything carefully. How much they press the issue depends how worried they are for you. Recently we had a virtual visit and they noticed our cat walking in the background and brought up concerns about cat litter. That way someone who was attentive and asked questions.

It's always seemed - and this is with anything I've ever gone to a doctor for - that if I say "this is the problem I'm here for" they tend to stay pretty focused on that one thing and don't bring up too much more unless it's alarming.

Here it's also typical that they do a quick mental health screening during intake that includes questions about self harm. How much you tell them is up to you.

Realistically, if they bring it up, if you say you don't want to talk about it and leave it at that there's a real good chance they'll leave it alone.
Thanks. I'd like to go with the "this is what I'm here for" but at the same time it's my first and probably last in a long time (knowing me) gyno exam so I feel like it should be more of a general checkup and I should take the opportunity to let them check everything. I don't really know how this is gonna go.

From your last post it sounds like you really need to see a doctor...

It depends unfortunately and not everywhere gives women the same agency in their own care. Here it would be completely reasonable to go for something specific and to deny them doing other things you weren't comfortable with. You would be also be able to request a woman if you felt more comfortable with that.

Probably they will check stuff if you let them and you've never been there. Not a terrible idea to get cervix checked for signs of cancer - that's something you don't want and early detection and treatment is the difference between living and dying. It's not a fun test.

Almost certainly they'll test your urine for signs of issues and to check for pregnancy. They'll probably take some blood too. General stuff.

What you're gonna get is hard to say - I certainly don't know. My wife has had good and bad doctors.

You might get there and your nervousness takes over and you forget and they just do their normal routine stuff and it's over before you know it. That's what happens to me at doctors lol - I think I'm gonna be all involved and prepared with questions and shit and then they come in and I just listen, nod, hear nothing, and by the time I realize what happened it's two hours later.

I just commented so maybe some idea of what's going to happen helps... but you need to go see a doctor :stare:

I don't really have much to say, I wanna talk the least possible, if they could read my mind and not have to talk at all it would be even better <__<

What is so bad about this cervix exam ? I don't know if I shoudl lookit up or if it's just gonna make me more anxious. Actually forgt about it I don't wanna know for now.