What are some jobs that help people?

So basically I want to start looking for a new job, but I'm stuck on what exactally it is I want to do. All I know is that I want to do something that helps people/animals/community. Just somethibg that makes a diffrence. I Currently work in my family's Insurance buisness and its absoutly not for me.

If anyone has suggestions and/or experience in fields that help people or animals i'd love to hear about it! Thank you in advance :)
Comments20
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Any kind of teacher or tutor who understands that children are not roller coasters fir you to exercise your screaming and swearing skills at.
There's lots of jobs for that: Medic, nurse, doctor, researcher, firefighter, police officer, dispatcher, therapist, teacher, chat operator, translator, social worker, counselor, social and community service manager, speech-language pathologist, lawyer, pediatrician, mechanic
Researcher, on cancer, rare diseases, or new antidote.
That would definitely help tons of people.
Here's a lesser-known job that not a lot of people want for a variety of reasons: being a "sitter" for people who require in-home healthcare or hospice. There is training involved but I don't think it's a degree program.
Honestly, retail work can make a huge difference for people, but whether or not it's a good idea depends heavily on three things: pay, management, and coworkers. Sure, it doesn't seem important a lot of the time, and the customers aren't always great, but you can seriously change lives... and the schedules tend to be flexible if you're using it as a temporary thing while you're training for a different job.
And EMS has been mentioned already, but as an EMT, I'd like to add a disclaimer: it's very rewarding work, but the only way to have any form of financial security is to either have a side-hustle (mine's a late-night convenience store gig that I've used often used EMT skills during; I hope to replace it with shifts at a second department) or join a city department that's combined fire and EMS (my long-term goal, because having a single job sounds nice). Also you don't get a ton of respect for being an EMT, but when you do, it's a TON. I honestly don't mind that part of it, though, and depending on call volume there's sometimes time to work on personal projects at the station. Especially if you take a volunteer position (which usually include some form of compensation whether it be education reimbursement, pay on-call, gas money, etc.).
Anything dealing with health, be it physical or otherwise. If you want to help people, this is the first and only place to look
Physical therapist, speech therapist, RN are all helpful to people.
Any medical job, psychotherapist, social worker, or maybe teacher :D
Good luck~

Well if you can give good affordable insurance to people that is a great thing to do for people.
I believe artists can help people. Many artists use their art to raise money for charity, inspire people, give them hope, make them happy, give them something to relate to, etc.

Other ideas: Animal shelter, social work, child care, caring for the elderly, non-profit charities, working for a local school, food banks.
It really depends on what you're interested in, if you are passionate about overall health you could consider being a nurse (this involves many career opportunities), PCA (personal care worker - assist with the elderly), social worker, lifestyle worker (these people also work with the elderly, but do activities like bingo etc rather than personal care), occupational therapist and literally a bunch more. This is something you'll have to probably search up yourself. 

If you're interested in the environment consider looking into environmental studies. In regards to animals you could look into becoming a vet/vet nurse or other animal related studies. Honestly, the world is your oyster.

I have experience in the PCA/nursing field so if you're interested feel free to ask questions. 
vet, social worker, nurse, CNA, doctor, LPN...

lesser known jobs that help: tech support, utilities, software/hardware tech, construction...

find a job that interests you and go from there.  there are several schools to choose from, both specialized and like wise.  just remember with corona-chan there could be some complications getting in due to limited space, make certain to do some research on said college (graduation ratio, finding a job, etc), and just be aware that some schools might require further education levels before entering.  such as more of this or that, certain GPA, refresher of Math, etc.
Thank you for the suggestions & schooling tips! All of my friends went to college while I worked instead. Luckily most of them graduated before corona though! 
There are tons and tons of jobs where you can help people, across all sorts of fields.

Social work, medical (doctor, nurse, EMT, physical therapy, etc), psychology, teaching, library science - these are the more 'obvious' people-helping industries. But depending on how you use knowledge in other fields, you can also help people. There are lawyers who specialize in civil rights issues, employment issues, and disability rights issues. Engineering and science also can be applied to helping people.

Veterinarian, vet tech, animal rescue, animal shelters, animal trainers, fostering - these are all areas that help animals.
Thank you for all the suggestions! I was actually considering working in Library but i was unaware of library science. I think that's something i'll look into that further. :)
In the US, most librarians have a master's degree in library science (MLS/MLIS), so start by volunteering in a library. Find out if you want to pursue that much education (depending on the program and if you're full or part time, the master's degree will take anywhere from 18 months to 4 years). If you're in a rural area, you may not need a master's degree to be a librarian but I haven't actually seen any librarian positions yet that don't require it (I'm currently pursuing an MLIS myself).
Work at a shelter. Sometimes they're government jobs and once you're in they're pretty solid. You can get some jobs in Vet offices without degrees.

Social workers help people but you need a degree and often a license. Depends on the state.
oh i didn't know shelters could be government jobs, i'll keep that in mind. Thank you for your suggestions!
They are here at the city animal control where I was volunteering. Pension, union, can't get fired. Probably pretty decent pay.