Details

Closed to new replies
June 29
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Desktop screen flickering for some reason?

:iconpulcella:
Pulcella Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2020  Student Traditional Artist
A couple of weeks ago my PC downstairs was working just fine. After finishing a Photoshop drawing, I shut it down and left it at that. Why is it that after a day, as soon as I login, the screen flickers to the point where I can barely do anything?

I've tried restarting, turning it on and off, but nothing. I can barely access anything because the flickering literally prevents me from doing stuff. I got lucky today when I managed to open Chrome, which works, but its hard to type and the taskbar still flickers.

I'm not sure its a memory issue since I don't have too much on my PC and I'm hoping its not another virus. Not sure what to do. :/

Devious Comments

:iconlumosido:
LuMosido Featured By Owner Jul 2, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
First few things that come up:

-Bad display cable, or it just got loose at either end
-Monitor input /Graphic card output fault (try checking other ports/ other cable)
-Display drivers (the fact that they updated recently may be a reason for the bug so you may actually have to install the older version)

What you can do if the cable and display seems ok:
Change the output of your PC from normal gf card to the integrated chip if you have one, if that solves the problem it's probably your card dying.
:icondaritha42:
daritha42 Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Maybe disconect and connect again?
Sometimes the connection gets dirty or dusty. Not exactly the pro IT solution but... if it works it works ^^;
:iconevilreaper:
EvilReaper Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I've dealt with this problem at work pretty frequently, and every time it has been the cable. Even if it's plugged in correctly, they just seem to wear out/can't handle windows 10, and yet pairing a bad cord with a different monitor can sometimes temporarily solve the issue which can make you think the cord is fine. I can say this pretty confidently because I was dealing with 6+ computers all with flickering issues once we switched to Windows 10, and changing the cords has fixed all of them.
:iconthomasvandijk:
thomasVanDijk Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Check the cable. Take it out of the sockets at both ends, and plug it back in. If that doesn't work, try another cable you know works if you can get one. If the problem still occurs, it's probably the monitor. You can try connecting it to another computer, or connecting another monitor to your pc.
:iconsophitiacroft:
SophitiaCroft Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2020
Sounds like it might be the monitor is on it's way out.

Can I ask, Have you got a TV with a spare HDMI socket or VGA socket? If so hook up your PC to your television and see if you get the same problem.

If so then there is something wrong with your PC. If not then you will know that there is something wrong with your monitor.

Also you could always check to see if your PC visual settings are set to the right visual settings and check to make sure your drivers are updated.

Hope I have been of some help.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2020  Professional Artist
Sounds like a problem with the monitor itself. What type of monitor is it? Do you know what type of backlight it has? Do you have a model number?

Do you have another computer you can try it with? A laptop or something you can plug it into to see if it still flickers.

You can also:
Check all the cords - make sure they're fully plugged in and haven't been fucked with (rodents and whatnot).
Check your display drivers - make sure they're updated.
Unplug the monitor, hold the power button for 10 seconds or so, and then replug it in.

It's almost certainly not a memory issue or a virus.

Add a Comment: