I feel out of touch.

I really feel like that I don't fit in with the rest of the art community. 

I've been drawing for many years and since then I felt really anxious because of friends or mutuals. Even in my Twitter and Fur Affinity,  I don't have a lot of friends, this unfortunately causes me to be unmotivated to do any art and feel like that I'm just out of touch. 

You see, before I was on DA, I was actually self taught and drew on paper before I can move on to digital art but that still doesn't avoid the fact that I'm very shy and still haven't got a lot of friends who have the same interests as me.

I also forgot to mention that I have social anxiety and level 1 autism so I'm very quiet making it hard for me to socialize.

Right now, I'm trying my best to make friends in the community and I'm even more stressed about that as well. 

I just feel like a loser and as a result, completely giving up on art.
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
ereshkigal kamisama

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸΌβœ¨βœ¨πŸ°

*touches you

*gets sued of sekuhara

mmmmhmmm
Hi!

I myself find it hard to make and keep artist friends, but don't let it be discouraging! :)

Not everyone will get along with you, but just the few that do still mean something. Don't worry about the amount of friends you have, but rather the quality of the friendships you already have. You are not a loser just because you don't have as many friends as you want to.

The art community is generally a friendly place, so don't be scared to venture into some aspects of art that you may not really be into as well. Sometimes people with different interests can become very good friends too!

The art community is here for everyone including you~ πŸ’–
Don't search validation in others, you are the best and worst critic of your work.
You can lose your passion in 2 ways:

If you only doing art for yourself, you will be lacking the motivation to progress.

If you expect your art to get any rewards from the public but have never got it, you will slowly lose faith.

Art is a way of communication, you create something for the audiences.
I would say people in the art community are actually pretty easygoing, just tell them they did a good job, maybe you will make some friends through this process.
Many creative people feel that same way. I have at times. There have been a load of artists who only became well known after their death. Some even hide their art so that they are the only one to see it. 

In the end, it doesn't matter what others think. Be yourself. If no one appreciates your art, they they miss out. It is that simple. Keep drawing and practicing. As long as you have fun, that is all that really matters.

as for the social anxiety? There is a proverb, "To have friends one must show themselves friendly" If you are pleasant to be around, people will want to be around you. Make it a point to smile. Don't say to someone "please be my friend." try, "How can I encourage you?"
Agree with the fellow below, you would think art is something we'd all have in common, but can still feel very isolated here especially if you have a style that doesn't gain popularity. Being artistic could really be double edged sword if you don't feel accepted in your style of work. DA has it's pros and cons, but it won't be able to give you everything you probably need.

I don't think this is a place to be drifting and trying to find yourself.
There probably aren't many people who feel like they fit in a social group nowadays generally, especially with a diverse group such as artists. While creativity is basically something we have in common, it often enough happens that personal differences get in the way. You are definitely not alone with this.

Fear is a thing that never goes away completely, so it's important to push through every now and then to try something new. Since you are trying your best already, you're definitely not a loser. A loser doesn't even attempt something.

Whether or not you can find friends soon, maybe art can still be something you enjoy independently from it.
Imagine you're stranded on an island (and survival is somehow not an issue in this scenario), you don't know if you'll ever meet people again but at least you have art material. Wouldn't it be nice to just draw for fun?
It takes time.  It took me 10 years to be confident with my work to where it was good (and a lot of practice).  I got kicked out of universities because my art wasn't good enough.  I proved them wrong by practicing and got better.

I hope that helps and you don't give up.