Why do people get mad at me for wanting help with art?

Something that has been genuinely bothering me for a while now is the amount of criticism I get when I say that I want help with improving my artwork. I get treated like I’m commuting some unholy sin by the mere mention of those words… Everyone assumes that it’s coming from a place of laziness or lack of motivation, but that simply is not the case. I have motivation, but am simply unable to move forward alone. There is a great deal of fear and uncertainty within me. I lack moral support and direction. So telling me to go onto YouTube and look up tutorials isn’t going to work. I can’t get past the road blocks that mental trauma has placed before me. So I apologize if I come off as annoying for not listening to said advice. It’s just not what is right for me as I am now.

People hire personal trainers to get into shape physically. I feel that I could get somewhere in life if I had someone who cared. Even if said person was paid to care... I know it sounds pathetic, but I’ve been beaten so far down mentally that this is how I actually feel. My metaphorical self has become weak and flabby. If I could get stronger I could learn to walk proudly on my own. Is it really wrong to feel this way?

The biggest issue is that I have not been able to find any help, or the help I found was so abstract that I became frustrated and confused. So people think that I’ve not been looking or that I’m pigheaded, stupid, and lazy. >___< All I see online are group courses or people offering help with learning a specific art program. Not help with anatomy etc. It’s frustrating, like what do I do in this situation? I don’t want to just give up. I also don’t want to be bullied or teased by people who don’t understand my PoV. Such things only make me feel worse about myself. I’ve become so tired of it. So it all boiled down to this long rant. I had to say all of this and get it out of my system. 

Comments130
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Don't know if this helps but I feel like I could learn from you. Your gallery is pretty awesome

I'm always around to help if I can. Though it might be easier on Discord or something.

cool thanks you have discord link?

I don't have a server. You can add me if you want though. I'll PM you my username.

alright ill add you

Not sure if it has been mentioned here already, but some artists offer excellent mentorships or drawover critiques for money. Free critique communities can be hit and miss, it just always depends if the commenter even knows what they are talking about of if they just want to talk about their subjective opinions.

Personally I've found Sycra Yasin's drawover critique and private mentorship on Patreon very helpful. His offers are often sold out on Patreon but catching a slot is really worth it as he is objective and friendly. He's been doing this for a while next to creating youtube tutorials, so he has a good sense of what might help someone to improve. www.patreon.com/Sycra

Other than that, Adam Duff/ Lucidpixul seems interesting to me as a tutor as well as I enjoy his youtube channel. His option costs more but I bet it's worth it as he is very capable: www.lucidpixul.com/

There are surely a lot of other artists who offer something like this, either on Patreon or own websites.
My problem is finding one of those artists who wants to help out for money. It seems like most don't do 1 on 1.

Draw over critiques is better for someone who already has the courage to do complex artworks with poses and such. I'm not at that level yet. I'm at a point where I'd like to learn how to practice. So that I can learn enough to do artworks with more depth.

$1000 is a little bit expensive for me even if it's 8 weeks. ;___; I'm kind of intimidated by that.

I've done Google searches. If there are they are hard to find. I usually avoid Patreon. I don't really like it. Maybe I got sick of Youtubers throwing it in my face.
Sorry to hear that, i hope you are okay with the situation. About the situation you had it now and sorry if i got wrong from understanding the situation, you said that everyone hate you when you asking some help of improving arts you did right ?. 

From the look and style of arts you had is really great improvement, but you need to understand the situation too, for example you're asking to person or group that have (sorry to say this) low talent or slow improvement of drawing compare with your own arts and what thing you need to improve it, but the thing of your art already the best of them all. That's like.... looking down what they don't want to know. Maybe for another example : (A) person has highest score with 96 from his class and then asking to his friends (B, C, D, and E they got low score in class) about what (A) person need to do for reaching score 100 or perfect score. Obviously they will mad and hate the (A) person for not being the grateful one.

Sometimes we need to look the situation first and is it appropriate to ask or not, well my suggestion try to talk with the person with similar or higher art style you looking for or maybe try to give some instruction for those who's need help, so the person you're helping is confident with you and can ask some opinion to him.

That's not really what's happening. I didn't ask them to help me. I said that I wanted a tutor and they think that's unnecessary. They don't seem to understand that my confidence is low and it impacts my productivity a lot. Looking up tutorials might work for them, but I feel a bit lonely and abandoned. I feel like having another person to help me get through the hard time I have with art would help with my mental trauma as well.

I think the tutor you need is not an art tutor, but more into self confident tutor or maybe some kind of psychology tutor i guess ?

I tried going to therapy, but they always gave up on me after a while... So I don't know where else to turn.

What exactly do you mean when you say you want help?

I don't know how to practice properly/efficiently. I've had people tell me that I don't draw what I see. I'm legally blind so it's a real issue. I have trouble with accuracy when practicing. I'd like someone to sit with me and help me walk through it even if I have to like screen share or something. I've been looking to pay a tutor, but have not found any who want to teach anatomy, and poses and such. So I've become frustrated. People have bitched at me for being frustrated and not just looking up Youtube videos. I feel like I need the interaction with another person. Youtube and tutorials feels so cold and distant. I'm a lonely person. x___x

Sometimes Youtube is all anyone can do. There a lot of people here that have little time to teach someone face to face.

Most of the people I talk to online have nothing but free time with this virus situation going on. I feel like there has to be someone out there that would like to make a bit of money while helping me. Saying YouTube is my only option is really disheartening. I'd like to believe that someone exists.

They have time now but teaching one on one has rarely turned out great for at least one person. I've heard stories like someone not getting paid or someone not becoming a super artists so thinking they shouldn't pay. I'm not saying you'll do that but that's why we have skillshare, youtube and classes.

I wouldn't do that to someone. That's sort of like going out to eat and not paying your bill because you say the food was bad, but you ate it all anyway. That's a selfish and toxic person. I don't want to be someone like that.

I'm not saying you would do it. I'm just saying that might a reason why.

So it's critique that you're looking for or?

I'm looking to pay someone to help me improve my art. Like say I do a screen share on Discord. They could tell me what I am doing wrong when practicing. So I could work on doing it alone with a bit more confidence that I'll actually improve.

I can't promise anything but I think I could help, I have no idea how digital drawing works but i know a whole lot about working methods and art theory.

My biggest issues are anatomy, poses, and expressions. I also know nothing about perspective. I'm not sure if those things fall into the categories you mentioned.

Take a look at my gallery and determine it yourself

We, self-taught artists, really need someone to help us see where we need to improve. Trying to improve yourself is not a bad thing. It was never a bad thing.  It's hard to see for ourselves that's why it's important to have someone or a group of people to support us in this. Joining groups here in DA kinda helped me improve somewhat in this part. Try joining groups like ProjectComment . They usually give you critique, encouragement and advice on how to improve on your artworks. I could like to join you in practicing too but I take a long time drawing but feel free to leave me a message or a question. I'll help and answer it as best as I can. Hope this helps! Star!