Grades

I have a progress report coming up, and the grades are already in there, no changing it
I know I'll have like a c in one, b in one and just a p for pass for the others, but my parents want to get straight A's or I'm not going to see the musical Hamilton
I've been crying for an hour knowing I'm not going.
And my parents aren't strict or mean, they do so much for me, and all they ask of me is this, and I feel like I disappointing them big time.
Then I think, yeah I tried my best, but they'll think if this is my best there's no hope for me in the future.
what do I do? 
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Punishing a kid for getting bad grades is just lazy and ineffective parenting. If they're really concerned about your grades they should be helping you get to where you need to be, not knocking you down when you've already tried your best. What they're doing is only detrimental to your academic improvement.
I would try explaining that you tried. Then I would ask them for help with future assignments. If you show that you are motivated to succeed they may realize that you did your best and go easier on you.

Social psychologist Carol Dweck, who has spent more than 10 years researching improvement, wrote extensively on this topic in her book "Mindset."

"It's not always the people who start out the smartest who end up the smartest," she writes.

While aiming for good grades can help motivated students, researchers say students should place more emphasis on working their hardest.

"Overcoming pitfalls is a daily habit for individuals who struggle academically," Corley says. "This is important, because success is built upon a mountain of failure and mistakes." As long as you keep trying thats all that matters. Your grades do not define you as a person. So many intelligent people did not do well in school and still became successful.

• Thomas Edison, one of the most successful inventors in human history, was kicked out of school at age 12 for being poor at math and unable to concentrate.5
  • Winston Churchill, a famous politician, had to repeat a grade in elementary school.5
  • Steven Spielburg, a famous movie producer, temporarily dropped out of high school and when he returned, he was put in a “special ed” class.5

I'm proud of you! Your grades are way better than mine were in high school. As others have said, be proud of your work and know that you tried your best. Having a conversation with your parents to help them understand how you feel would be a good idea.

Good luck :)
well at least you don't have any Ds or Fs so that's good
I agree with what Wolfoftheghostblade said.
Also grades don't define you as a person. I know many kids who study the material only to get a good grade and then forget about the information they just learned the very next day.

The best thing you can do is that you learned from this mistake, and strive to better yourself the next time. Your parents will be proud of your improvement. (:
I have been in that situation OwTheEdgy and I get you!
Last year I was in 9th grade and my mom said that if I get Straight As she'll take me to art classes in the summer.Unfortunatly I hade 5 As, 3 Bs, and one Really...REALLY Bad one.I had to take summer school for the first time im my life.I was devastated to know that I had to go to summer school.But after one really hard cracking month I pased the class with a 100% in the class.My mom understood what I was going throw, she diren't get mad at knowing the really bad news.Ya, she was a little at the begging,but then she talk to the teacher about it. After everything my mom, THANK GOD, took me to the Art classes.

The thing of all of this is that, talk to your parents. Talk to them slowly and with Kindness.You should tell the how much you forced yourself to get thows grades and how much you really love what you do. You do what you think it's right, if this didn't help you well...sorry :'(
I wanted to help someone who passed the same thing as me!

Good Luck! :) :D
My mother used to ask me the same. Even A with a few mistakes, she was like "You knew that, you could have had A with no mistakes!" This participated in my current state of mind that what I do is never enough or has to be perfectly perfect and years after, I'm still working on changing that ^^'' That's my personal experience but you can find lots of explanations about how nocive it can be to ask someone to be perfect. So perhaps do some research and try to explain them (write or speak) how you feel and why you think they're asking you too much. They probably just want the best for you and don't realise it can hurt. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions!". I hope it can help =) 
you did the best you can do, and you try your best you should be proud
Of course, that 1 time it didn't work, it was still greatly appreciated. 
Wow. Your parents are though, but, there is always a way to do something. I write a full letter about 2 pages long telling them why I should go. 9 times out of 10 it has worked for me!