Question for Pet owners/vets

Anyone here has a pet that has gotten over pneumonia? Or otherwise has some info on it? 
My cat was diagnosed with it first time before month and a half. The vet put her on antibiotic injections for a week. Month and a half later, she started having trouble breathing again: running nose, trouble with swallowing, temperature and here we are again at the same diagnosis. We made a X-ray and it confirms it came back. Now the vet prescribed 10 more days of therapy but she also mentioned that maybe we should test her on cat-infectious diseases. 
Another X-ray might be needed on the end of therapy also to confirm her state and my mom wants to cut some costs... Although I am in opinion we should be completely sure she is alright once the therapy is over again. 
The truth is she has always been an sensitive kitten. Since we bought her she was at the wet 10+ times probably for diarrhea, temperature, I think she also has allergies on some plants, at summer she usually does get running nose and sneezing.  

One person told me pneumonia can last for a longer while, so is it common for it to come back and how long can it last actually...? How it went with your pet?   
Comments4
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You should have the cat tested for FELV, FIP and FIV. 
Last August a kitten showed up on my house side porch one day and kept returning. My wife and I both decided to keep him as an outdoor only cat. We have another outdoor cat (that came with the house), and two indoor cats that we try to keep separate since feline leukemia is a problem in our town. Kitten seemed happy on our back porch, but as the winter months approached, he developed a nasty wheeze. Every so often it seemed like it'd go away on its own, but then come back. By March we decided he really should be an indoor cat--but he just wouldn't get along with our other indoor cats so we found him a foster home. The foster home took him to the vet and found out he had pneumonia, along with some other severe symptoms that they weren't sure were related. In particular, he had seizures.

So to answer your first question--it lasted months. If we knew it was pneumonia then we would've gotten him to the vet sooner, but for so long it just seemed like he was only sensitive to the cold.

Today he is fine. He's still up for adoption. He bullies other cats, which makes it difficult to find him a permanent home, but he is healthy.

Now the other part--we learned something interesting. There is another problem in our region, FIP (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_i…) Neither of us had heard about it before, but apparently is a very serious (albeit rare) condition. Both the foster home and the vet were concerned he was infected--and hence confirmed we did the right thing keeping him separate from our indoor cats. His seizures went away with the pneumonia and so the vet's concerns about FIP went away--but it is still something to consider if you haven't yet. It might be worth asking your vet about.
She said it might be a good idea to test her once she gets better, that now there are too many medicine in her blood now to get clean results. Maybe we will do that once the therapy is finished.
I have two cats indoor+outdoor, closing them in during night, and the other cat was at vet only for sterilization, she never had any health problems. The vet told me though if the first cat carries some virus, the other cat is infected also probably but that the virus doesn't have to get active for more than 10 years.  

The older the cat is, harder for her is it to accept other cat as a roommate. If it wasn't introduced to other cats during first months of life, even more so. If might be best for that kitten to be a one-cat-only pet. Since he lived outside a period of his life, does he beg to be let out still? 
If he is over/around 6 months old it is common for cats to defend their territory, especially even if he isn't castrated; but in general any cat will defend its territory from cats they don't consider family. 
I heard also of tomcats who were castrated and weren't aggressive towards other cats but they didn't like company of other cats so they sprayed whole house as a territory protest. Once they were separated from other cats they stopped spraying.  
In general cats aren't pack animals, they are loners so co-life needs to start early or it never functions. In the past I had a 7-year old cat when I adopted a new kitten and the older cat never accepted him. She didn't want to be in the same room with him, or eat while he is on her eyesight. Hissing and running away from him the whole time. Her behavior never changed. Had to feed them in separate rooms and if the younger cat laid down on something she considered hers, she wouldn't want to use it until I washed it and got off his smell. She also started to spend much more time outdoors just to avoid him.