Advice for Advertising

Hello Fellow Deviants :)

I have an online store selling makeup, clothing, consumer electronics, jewellery and watches. I created a program to source the best most sold products from 11 different sites, so I know these are the most popular reliable products.

However my main problem is in advertising.

Given that I've already advertised on many social media account, what advice could you offer me?

I've advertised on the following places:
Facebook
ello
discord

I can't advertise on:
Instagram
Twitter
Comments20
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I had a web design business back in 2007. I had to deal with making pretty big deals for my studio via advertising. I did not get word of mouth - I did not think to ask for testimonials. I did not do well. My business failed.

More recently, I started a mobile DJ business (I have been a breakbeat DJ/Producer since 2001). I did weddings and parties. I had a testimonials page. I gave out business cards, I had a nice website. I tried getting on a couple of those lead generation sites. Nothing panned out from that. Most of my business I get via the web on my site. I have since put the mobile stuff on the back burner for now - my website is just one page with a paragraph and a contact form. I get a couple gigs here and there.

You listed the things you are selling on your site, the thing that jumps out at me as a red flag is the electronics sell. Almost all purchases are going to be made at well  established big box stores like Best Buy, Target, Wallmart, etc. It makes your store seem like a scam. I would drop the electronics and get a niche market with the rest of your products.

Facebook advertising can be very effective if you use it to it's full potential. For 7 bucks one ad for the course of a week with a very targeted market I got a great number of people who are interested in the thing I was "selling" (It was mostly for getting my name out there).

I would stay away from the ppc ads like with google and bing. Someone will out bid you and your website has to be on the front page of google. If not, you may get 1% of people to see your site if it is on the 2nd page. Back in 2007, a spot on the top ad locations worked out to be about 5 bucks a click.  No way to compete with that.

Advertising is difficult. I think you should focus on your branding. Get all of the things that are related to your business in line and have a clear message that sets you apart from the cattle. Like said below - find niche blogs and contact them and try to get them to let you do a guest post and/or advertise on these blogs - you already know that they are looking to buy the stuff you sell and the costs are much lower than ppc with google, etc.
I'm not sure if anything you said is really helpful, you seem to suggest something but then think better of it and offer nothing in return :|

Could you clarify?
"Facebook advertising can be very effective if you use it to it's full potential."
hmm ok I'll take your word for it, thank you very much for you help :)

I hope your future business endeavours all work out ;)
It's hard to give an advice while not knowing the full situation. How is your store doing right now? Is advertising on social media works for you so far? So I can only voice my thoughts on a matter.

As a customer I would be cautious to buy from a site that "sells everything". It's like you're so desperate for a sale you're ready to throw whatever is popular at people to just make them buy from you. They can feel it.
When amazon launched they were only selling books. And as they grew bigger they were able to spend more on advertysing and add more categories to their site. I suggest you to chose a niche. Than you can try to advertise on social media again but only where your target audience can see you. Say if you're selling makeup, good place to advertise would be some makeup themed facebook groups or even beauty blogers. Besides if you just started, focusing fewer categories will be easy so you will not burn out fast.
Also maybe that will actually encourage your friend to spread the word. I mean compare "Hey, check this store, my friend runs it" and "Hey, I've heard you need a new lipstick. I know just the place!"

Anyway good luck with your store!
I specified that I'm only selling

Hair
Makeup
Clothing
Consumer electronics
Assessors

That is certainly not everything, but a grand idea with advertising on certain facebook groups. I hadn't thought of that, thanks :)
np Hope it helps!
I am no expert on the matter, but I when it comes to advertising I put my faith in the "word of mouth" way. Contact the customers you have, establish feedback both to improve your services and make it clear that you actually care about your services. Tell all people you know about your store when a situation fits, they may mention it to other people and so on.
And you can spend some of your income on advertisement - that sort of thing always works.
Hmm... I've tried all of that

I'm beginning to think my circle of friends and family just hate me, because so many people have suggested what you have said and apparently they got a very good response. My family and friends couldn't care less :(
That is a pity, because there is only so much you can do without spending a single penny. Well, if your circle of friends doesn't satisfy your needs, perhaps, you have to change something in it. After all, with friends like these... you don't even need business rivals.
Strangely enough when I came up with a plan to destroy the world they were more eager to help

Someone here On Da said that this is just typical of humanity as a whole, they aren't willing to help me make money but they sure do want to see suffering and chaos 
That depends, really. People stand on different moral grounds.
If I were you, I'd befriend a marketer to help me with it, also offering a share if his or her expertise actually turns out to be useful.
Yes I tried that too... people have crazy business ideas

Most people consider business to be an art of illegal profit, which is what most of my friends and family suggested... that I scam people

I just don't understand why you would want to do something illegal, and have to hide from the cops, when you can make it legally and do what you want with your money without fear of being found
I agree with that. My personal opinion is that these people don't understand the true art of legal profit. Legal profit and good reputation tend to pay off. Of course, desperate times may call for desperate measures, but there still have to be some standards. My first rule is to be polite to people who help you, second rule is to make small victories here and there - it allows you to make a good name for yourself and thus perform a risky tactic without losing these people who would trust you to succeed.
View all replies