My partner overdosed-- I don't know if he's alive or not

Hi, this is probably a very serious thing and not many people are gonna wanna look at this but even one comment counts to me because god I am seriously scared

My partner Valedus and I have a very strong relationship. He means the world to me in a way that I could not possibly explain, not in a note, not in a thousand books, nor in art. He's literally everything to me.

It's not like me to vent or anything, but I'm seriously distraught and frantic about how things are going. I have a group of people I speak to, but none of them know what to say and are also very affected by the situation.

He was in a state of psychosis when he overdosed. He has severe mental illnesses including paranoid schizophrenia and delusions. Some really shitty things happened in his house, his foster mother is very abusive— yesterday was one of the worst incidents I've witnessed. He was gone for 12 hours after sending me some very alarming texts.

When he came back, of course he was shaken, but hours later he seemed...alright, nothing too worrying, had a solid grasp on himself and the situation after, even though I knew it was tough on him. He's not one to to burden me with his issues because he knows I have a lot of them myself, but either way, I trust him to be frank with me regarding this.

I have no specific details on the amount he took or what he took. If I hypothesize from the medications I know he has around him, it was either an atypical antipsychotic or a high class painkiller like morphine. He's not addicted to opioids or any drug for that matter. All I know is that he was in an attack, took an undisclosed amount of pills that he couldn't remember, and when I freaked out, he kind of seemed to have realized what he did. It took around 30 to 40 ish minutes for him to snap out of the delusion and tell me what happened. He threw up as much of the pills as he could at that point, but I still forced him to call an ambulance because a lot of the pills could've gotten into his blood by that time. The ambulance got there within 1 hour after he had initially taken the pills, around 20 to 30 minutes after he threw up some of them. He's been gone now for 11 hours, I've heard no updates, no nothing. 

What do I do in a situation like this? How do I handle it? I know that this is a very serious thing and that people will have adverse reactions to it, but I just need to do something. I'm usually not one for reaching out but I don't really have a choice right now, even if I'm getting anxious about posting this.

I just don't know what to do, how to react, what would help him. Will he even survive? And if he does, how do I help? How do I do anything. 

Any comment is seriously appreciated, but I understand if this is too much for people to handle. Thank you for reading this far regardless.

EDIT: He's gotten back to me. He's alive, but in a pretty bad state physically, so we're still going to have to bite our nails to see what can be done and if he can recover. But he's alive! Thank you so much to everyone who helped me pull through, I really, really owe so much to you guys and your kindness.
Comments203
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I hope you're ok, sending hugs! <3 Hoping he's gonna be alright.
Thank you so much for your support. Honestly I've been pretty stressed, things haven't been easy and he's still recovering in the hospital. but thank you for checking up on me ;
I really late but that's horrible... abusive parents make things extremely unstable too, I know that all too well. Some things they do can even be a trigger and one comment or certain act sends you into a spiral of just.... the sudden urge to not exist.

There it's much you can do physically if you don't live near him- but if you do, if there is a next time, maybe you can go try to visit him in the hospital. Or visit him often to maybe help him bear things a little easier, as close as you are, you might be better for him than any medicine, especially when you snapped him out of it after he'd already done it. If not, maybe send him supportive messages and think of how to handle it when he's back, potential ways to make things a little easier, that sort of thing. Just do your best to encourage him a lot and be a solid support system, that should be very reassuring to his mind.
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I know how hard it can be, I have someone close to me who has schizoaffective disorder who has gone through suicidal and sometimes even homocidal tendencies (him believing he is going to kill someone because the voices are telling him so, and all THAT drama). It's hard. I can't tell you how much I have cried hoping he will get better and hoping for stability somewhere. I am putting my hope and prayers that things will get better for you. Keep in touch and let me know how things go.  

PS: Homocidal tendencies were actually an effect from one of the medications he was on, he had to be weaned off it in the hospital and hasn't had any since, thank God. 
Rainbow Sparkle Hug Sending hugs. Stay strong!
Thank you so much sir. I'm staying strong throughout it all, no matter how hard it is to keep my head up
It's good he's alive aaaaaaaaaaa

Let's hope he makes a good recovery...
Just read this - I'm glad he's alive! I was worried there for a second..
Hopefully he'll be better soon. Wishing you best of luck. :(
nahh its okay man, i like 
right now, im just happy he's alive. Next comes the whole battle of recovery which seems to be a pretty brutal one. But its to be expected, he overdosed on antipsychotics, that shit isn't easy on the body even with a "legal" dose
I am so glad your friend is okay. I nearly had a heart attack seeing the title.

Please stay by his side. He needs someone like you the most right now. Keep his morale high; its the most important thing in this situation.

I will be hoping the best for the both of you.
Honestly, I like, I've been having a perpetual heart attack since dogijpdfsjgdf

Like he's ALIVE, but he's not in a good state and I'm just so scared of him relapsing, like this has been the most fearful couple of days in my entire life and that's saying something, y'know? 
Yeah, I understand. One of my friend's has a friend who has relapses. Constantly.

I know he has schizophrenia, yes? Is he on any medication? I can be of some help in this situation as I have had family members with paranoid schizophrenia.

The drugs are amplifying his hallucinations. Has he thought about going to rehab? A  long term hospital stay?

If he kicks the drugs, the psychosis will go down drastically. Also, if he IS taking any antipsychotics the drugs are negating their effect.
Yeah, he actually, like
He's not on any kind of illegal or hard drugs, nothing recreational 

He actually overdosed on his antipsychotics, again its not an addiction thing, he was in a delusion, swallowed the pills and then I like, snapped him out of it through a lot of screaming and crying and finally convinced him to call the ambulance

He's usually very steady with the schizophrenia, but his mother was being exceptionally abusive and it just, tipped him over.
oh man..

do you live close to him? Maybe to prevent this in the future you can meet him and give him his daily meds; just so he doesn't have access to it. Usually when schizophrenics do one thing it becomes repedetive. But idk how your life is, so I don't know how feasible that would be.
OH man I don't have anything to add, just sending best wishes :heart: That's honestly terrifying, I'm so glad he's alright. 
oh gosh, no, its alright 
Thank you so much for your support, I'm still really shaken up by it, and I'm very scared of like, the likelihood of his recovery 
i need all the support I can get, and so does he
I'm glad he's alive. Just be supportive and comforting. He's very scared too so just try to help him with anything and don't give up hope. It does take some time to recover from a state like this but he'll be perfectly fine. I'm glad you have such an amazing friend that you care for so much. I hope everything will be fine with his health and his and your issues. Stay strong! <333
Thank you so much for your advice. He is very scared, scared of losing me and scared of what happened, since he didn't intentionally do this. And yeah, he's the best fiance I could ever hope for. Thats why it would be devastating if I lost him
HugMy thoughts and prayers are with you. 
Thank you so much ;;; Sometimes all we need is a little hope
The best thing I can think of for this situation. ....Is to stay active.

This reminds me of when I had taken edible Marijuana last month. (My situation was nowhere near as life threatening as your situation.) But technically I can understand what its like to be paranoid. The way I got through my paranoia, Is to keep myself physically busy with a to do list. While I was cleaning up my bedroom and cleaning my teeth in the bathroom. I just could not shut off all the bad thoughts racing in my head! (Like how my life is 1/4 done, All of our lives have a time limit. And are we going to fear death because there's so much we haven't done?!) But I still just kept on brushing my teeth for 10 minutes straight. And then lie in bed and try to ride out the high of Marijuana. I did not enjoy being high.

Again. The best advice I can tell you. Is that you should have a solid "TO-DO LIST" prepared to help keep your body active and your mind on a set path.
Our bodies can only survive when we have a will to live. And we get our will to live from having a purpose. ...What's your purpose to stay alive today?
Holy fucking shit.............I hope he gets better soon.
I know right? Its just, its been a shock to all of us 
I hope he'll recover soon but his state is still not optimal and shit
It's good to hear that he's alright. Hopefully he will recover from here.