How do I handle my nephew that doesn't want to study?

So first off I will put out there that I have a short fuse and I can get irritated easily. Great perks to have... anyway the first time my nephew (8 years old 3rd grade) brought a few things back from school to practice on, I did NOT do well with him all I did was come across as mean. But this time I was a lot more calm and reasonable. He acted better only because there was one thing to practice on.. When he was done practicing a spelling test, I tried to explain to him why certain words were spelled the way they are such as "weren't they're shouldn't" and he would just look away and stop listening and wanted to go back in the living room to continue his movie.
My sister told me its because he's not back at home and he's used to studying with her boyfriend. It somewhat makes sense if its the environment but id say he's used to it now... he's been here at our grandmas plenty and has been living here officially since October and he likes his new school, been there for 3 weeks now... and for some reason her boyfriend is really good with him and it angers me because I wish it was like that here too. I guess theres more to understand but I feel like since he's here now, he should adjust to us and where he's at but I don't know how. She's not gonna have that boyfriend forever how can I show my nephew that I'm not bad? I just don't know and I just get angry and sad about it.
At this point I feel like I want to take more free time from him and make him study on "khan academy.com" after he's had a snack after school and no going to the playground after school either. But then again how exactly does that teach him manners or respect?... uggg >_>; I don't think I will ever have kids but please if you have any advice about this situation I wanna read...
Comments9
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The movie will always be there. You can buy that movie anytime. It is like any other movie. Like videogames. The entire Playstation 2 library can be fit on to an SD card. People are literally loading hundreds of Gamecube/Wii games from one SD card. That is insane. What is even more funny is that sometimes a spouse is just a few clicks away. That is how simple the things we take for granted the world has become. I can probably fit an entire VHS, DVD, Blu-ray collection on to an SD card which is insane.

See the boyfriend has become more or less the alpha in his life or step-father figure. You can not gamble against that. Your currently like ( in my opinion ) the boring friend or playmate who is seen as temporary. Due to the relationship between the mother and the boyfriend. Then of course there is grandma.

Just let it go because you can not make father/big brother decisions like play time vs. studying. Your sister is the initial matriarch AKA mommy ( without the true father ) while the boyfriend is now the closest thing to the alpha.

This all opinionated. It is like my little cousins. For five minutes we were getting along but in reality the hens that surround him will teach him R$QEQ!#@ without my presence and I do not care. Why? because he has a real father and his mother his remarrying and that is her decision may it be to damn his life or promote it.
"I guess theres more to understand but I feel like since he's here now, he should adjust to us"

You are the adult, or at least the older person.  You have more control over your feelings and more choices about what to do than a child does.  It is your place and your responsibility to adjust to a child's needs, not his responsibility to change himself to make you happy.

You have been given a little bit of power over a child and it feels like it has gone to your head.  It is YOUR job to deal with your anger.  It is YOUR job to deal with your jealousy about your sister's boyfriend.  It is YOUR job to provide a good example to a child who will one day hopefully be an intelligent adult -- one who will remember how you treated him.

Now... it is his mother's responsibility to see to your nephew's schooling.  If she has delegated this job to you, it is best to sit down together with her and your nephew and explain the schedule that you will be following.  If he knows what to expect then he will eventually settle down.  He will probably test the limits sometimes, and that is necessary for a child to grow up into an independent adult.  If you try to crush his will then you will end up raising a doormat that will not be able to function well in society.

Also look carefully at yourself and your motives and behaviour.  You are not going to teach your nephew to be a polite and respectful person by being impolite and disrespectful to him.  You may teach him to put on a mask to keep you from hurting and punishing him, but he will never trust you or have a good relationship with you.  Children are not stupid.  You have to act consistently and from good motives, or he will learn that you are a hypocrite who cares more about your own ego than about him and his well-being.

"and for some reason her boyfriend is really good with him and it angers me because I wish it was like that here too."

Trust and respect are earned.  You do not get them automatically.  You have to work for them.

Remember that a leader is also a servant.  Leaders get to lead because they serve the best interests of the people that they are leading.  Leaders are given trust and respect when they have proven their service to the people they are leading.  Leaders who don't understand that they have to benefit their followers quickly turn into tyrants and abusers.  Be very careful that you don't walk that path because you are not ready to deal with helping to raise a child.
Is this the time to talk about how I taught by niece the times table? My sister and her family came to our place and I was playing Zoo Tycoon. She asked if I could help her daughter and I was like yea sure. Now, my method wasn't the best I know that. But it worked. I put her in a chair, locked the door to my room. Put out animals in the times table, and asked her: "How many zebras are there?" (let's go with 6), and then I'd set out for for the times 1, and simply ask how many there where then. And then repeat. I didn't let her out until we'd gone through the 9 xD I'm such a great aunt xD
In all honesty it shouldn't really matter where he's studying, now I don't know the boyfriends methods, but I know my nephew was a little shit to teach, because his grandma (father's side) let him do pretty much whatever, so it was a pain to even babysit him. But I think a reward system would work well with him. Like possibly have a few snacks at the ready, healthy ones possibly like carrots and dip. I know one time when I was babysitting my niece and nephew, they were being such a pain, so I told them if they behaved we'd bake a mudcake after dinner.
Bribing with something nice works most of the time. Atleast it has for me. I mean I got a cookie each day I went to school in the 9th grade xD
lol oh yes the bribing trick xD it works quite well but I don't always want him to think he's going to get a treat if he gets something done or he thinks he should always get something no matter what. Ugg idk this is why I don't have kids D: too many brats around as it is! xD lol we are mean
Yea, could be like a longer goal as well, making sure he knows
that he'll get some sort of treat after, say three sessions or something
like that. I had it when I went to I suppose you could call it work, kinda.
If I went for the entire week, I got a better reward, than if I only went once.
The guy I have as my contact person where I live set up a list with me, and if
I recall correctly it was if I went 3 times we could go to a café, and if I went like
10 times in a row we could go watch a movie.
So could be something like that as well.
thats a good strategy also. its something I can do. I told him I can take him to the playground after school up to 2 times a week (since its going to start to freeze outside) but if he hasn't improved his attitude on things I will stop taking him for a while. its something I could start doing. 
That's a good stratergy ^^
Beats locking your niece up in your room :eyes: Which is still a running joke in my family :dummy:
lolol xDD probably way better LOL