What do I need for webcomic production?

I want to start making webcomics. I already have a few concepts in mind, but the real concern now is I want to be absolutely sure I'm not overlooking anything in the process.

Okay, so far, I know that in the process of webcomic production, I need thumbnailing to draft how the actual comic would look, character sheets to keep my characters consistent,

What else?
Comments26
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you have a friend who knows comic making, it's a good sign

I'm currently making a traditional comic w/my friends tho

But I have a self Comic for my Ocs, it's currently in works (still adjusting its line yet;-;)

You need some inspirations for making a comic and tons of references

Chapter one: Pioneering myth by AffinityDinaur  - cover for example (not for views tho)
Here's my comic art! :D

Spreadsheet for Harvest Moon: Life Anew by ReizYouUp Preview Image for Harvest Moon: Life Anew by ReizYouUp Harvest: Life Anew Cover by ReizYouUp

I didn't draw these pages, but my artist (who quit) did.

Orchid is the girl with the pink hair, and Marcus is the boy in the brown vest.

They're from the Harvest Moon fan story/comic Harvest Moon: Life Anew.

4 more info, or if you want 2 draw our comic. check out my sig.
Don't forget to set down your story..
Tutoapp 9Apps Showbox
Webcomics are funnies distributed on a site or versatile application. While many are distributed ... Funny cartoons, for the most part comprising of three or four boards, have customarily been a well known configuration for webcomics. ... The webpage included client submitted funnies in a challenge for an expert contract to deliver web funnies.
I found this tutorial by Shazzba to be pretty helpful: Advice for Starting a Webcomic by Shazzbaa
Ooh, this would be useful. Just :+fav:'d it. Thanks! :D
You're welcome, glad I could help a bit :)
this is GOLD thank you for sharing! 
You're welcome :)
Plot and pacing I find are the most important in making webcomics, so it's good to have a script of dialogue / which type of scenes you want to have in every chapter. I find that good pacing would be having a chapter not be too short, but also be not too long. That way, the readers won't think that a chapter is too short or too long, and it keeps them interested in the story. However, this pacing has to be consistent. Art style and color palette is a good thing to keep consistent too, so make sure to have those alongside your character sheets :D

Personally when I'm making comics, I also like to have a sheet to refer to for the more technical details, like font size and line spacing, just to keep the dialogue throughout the comic visually consistent. I also work a few chapters ahead of the chapter that needs to be released, but I haven't done too much of a good job on that yet, so I highly advise you to be ahead of posting schedule so you don't end up like me haha :shakefist:
Hi! Do you finish writing the dialogue/script before drawing/actually making the webcomic or do you write it while creating the comics?

Also, I think your advice is really helpful. Thank you !!
Personally, the way I like to do the script is that I do a chunk of chapters at a time, then work on creating the comics. It allows me to be more flexible with the ongoing plot. Additionally, I work on the sketches for a bunch of chapters at a time, then work on lineart and coloring whenever I need a chapter posted :D

No problem! Always glad to help~ :D
Do you ever, at one point while writing, realize you should've added a detail that would affect the story in a chapter you already posted? Cause I'm honestly scared of that happening haha which is mostly why I'm only writing right now.
Yep! It's happened a ton of times haha, usually I just preplan in adding it to future chapters as sort of a recap :D
Ah okay. Thank you so much for answering my questions !! cute bear heart 
Don't forget to set down your story, think about plot line and how much page it would take to properly tell the story. Think about possible plot holes if there is any.
are you planning to spearhead the production your own? or do you belong to a group?
The former. But if it came down to it, I would hire some freelancing people myself.
Because chances are I suck ass at storytelling and I'd have to hire people who doesn't.
If you don't have a specific story in mind yet, there are lots of comic writers who can't draw - I bet you could team up with one.
I'm not explaining any further.
Now it seems you're just pretending to be naive just to annoy me.
Get lost kid.
View all replies