"But my best friend is gay!"

If you have ever said what was quoted in the topic title, and you actually thought it would defend you in a debate regarding gay rights, slap yourself. NOW.

Slap yourself again for even thinking that an iron-hearted, lava-blooded bigot would completely change their deep-seeded beliefs, just because of someone's best friend. Neither you nor your best friend have any significance regarding the state of the nation.

I could just as easily defend pro-gun beliefs by whining, "My best friend has a gun!" (Oddly, he actually does have one.) It wouldn't increase my credibility in any way.

That's why I don't debate gay rights anymore. It never goes anywhere, and shouts of "ignorant Christian conservative" usually come along with, even though I'm not a Christian.

Geez, it's annoying.
Comments792
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you read and follow the Bible, then your Christian. If you read, follow the Bible, AND think gays are inferior then you are a Nazi Christian.

My gay uncle probably has a better job then you do.
:iconshakefish: why the hell you necro this thread?
BECAUSE ED TOLD ME TO.
Yarly It told me to leave a comment.
View all replies
My best friend doesn't have a best friend! :ohnoes:
But my best friend IS gay!
..I'm going out with her :paranoid:
Really good point. ... AHAHA, 'my friend has a gun' xD can you picture someone actually saying that in a debate? That would... so... *laughs more*
If people are bashing your beliefs along with christians, what does it tell you?

Perhaps you're making some of the same mistakes that they did. Where is your divine protection? Shouldn't you be protected against something like this, if you are truly correct in a divine sense?
Okay. Who necroed this failtrain, and can Lady Jafaria hurt them grievously?
My best friend is gay, AND has a gun! (I'm not kidding!)
LOLWUT.

Uhm. If a human gives birth to another human, but that human isn't straight. Uh. He's still a human. By DEFINITION.
One of my freinds owns a pirate sword....
I don't debate gay rights because it just fights with opinion. There's so much shit about whether or not it's natural or not, that who really should give a flying fuck anymore?
This thread is well on its way to becoming as epic as the "I'm gothic damnit" thread.
I'll say. I even got an ED article because of it.
I hate to tell you this but you brought that one on yourself.
I guess so. But hey, what's done is done.
On a serious note, you definitely have a point. That's why I don't argue about gay rights anymore either. Usually, I get the comeback of,

"Go read your bible!"
"Conservative asswhipe!"
"Go lick Bush's ass!"
"OMG! My friend is gay! How dare you say that!!111one!!"

I'm not really a big liberal or conservative but hey, generalizations and blind assumptions are what keep the world going right?
Pretty much. It's because the vast majority of celebrities are liberals. They like playing the victim. They say things like, "The liberal community has been terrorized to the point where we're afraid to speak!" And usually in front of a live newscam.
lol, so true. Being a democrat is the "in" thing right now. =P