Can you like .. quit being extremely ableist for two seconds ?

so i was at a family members house ..

because it's cold out they put the heating on in the house and I was in their spare bedroom with a laptop but the room has a huge radiator so my room got hot very quickly . 

i have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome which causes a whole bunch of neurological problems including inability to regulate body temperature well, so what happens when I get too hot is my heart beat starts to go VERY fast and my blood pressure drops . 

so what i did was open the window a notch to let some cool air in to make the room a comfortable temperature. not cold, but not red hot either .. 

this family member came in and asked me if i had a window open & i said yes cause if I get too hot I get sick. they said ''oh ok you have a plaster for everything'' and i looked at them and just said ''no, it's a medical condition.'' they said ''don't answer me back, next time I'll be sure to not put the heating on so you're freezing cold''. 

i tried to explain again that i don't want to be freezing cold, just warm, not red hot. 

this is the same family member who says things like ''well TRY not to forget things'' or ''TRY not to be bothered by your joint pain'' . all while making me out to be a bad person because ... i forgot to turn a light off. i mean i have brain fluid that leaks out one of my ears, forgetfulness definitely isnt a symptom of that.. 

seriously, they can literally look up my condition but they refuse to, they're trying to make me out like some kind of bad guy because i have my differences . Llama Emoji-76 (Facepalm) [V4]

but sure, i'll let myself get hot enough my nervous system freaks out and i have to go to the ER again just so my differences don't scare you.  
Comments10
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I am grateful to have family that understands my medical conditions, doctors that love to see my progress, insurance representatives that are eager to help, and pharmacists that know me on a first name basis!

Do what is healthy FOR YOU! 

Clap Heart 
Wow, sounds like a douche :stare:

I'd suggest, uh... not visiting them. Ever. Unless, like, you literally have to for some reason. Ain't nobody got time for that behavior :grump:
Do you live with this relative full-time, or were you just visiting?

i visit them time to time to help them with stuff

I was called out as being ableist on here a few years back when I said blind people probably have the most genuine/good looking smiles on average, since they don't get to see themselves and may not feel self conscious about their smile.
But this here, is legit ableism. :no:
It actually borders on narcissism as well, as they're making your problem, their problem, and then blaming you for it in a circular fashion. The mental gymnastics are real strong. My guess is that this person is middle age late 40s-ish.
Wow, I have never dealt with anyone making a huge deal out of an open window before.

But yeah, sorry about your medical condition. That must suck to live with. :/

they threatened to kick me out of their house at one point when i was staying there cause i forgot to turn a light off .. they must of shouted so loud the street would of heard them .. i think they just get a rise out of being antagonistic . :shrug:

& it's fine ! i was born with it, so .. im kinda used to it . bunneh icon17

What an inconsiderate excuse for a family member :/
If someone from my family has any medical condition, I do what I can to help

tbh , this family member is also racist as well but pretends not to be . they're very judgemental but try to pretend that they're not .. then if someone calls them out on their 'isms' they act like that . i really dont understand what their problem is. Yuu Facepalm Icon