Details

Closed to new replies
July 31
Link

Statistics

Replies: 38

Anyone think most people have forgotten what heavy metal is like?

:iconaxel-the-fox:
Axel-the-fox Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020
Because i remember during the 80's early 90's there were bands like Metallica,Megadeth,Iron Maiden,Queensryche and such were on tv back in the days and were on radio.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmonstermaster13:
monstermaster13 Featured By Owner Aug 3, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
I feel that way,  and no punk and metal are NOT the same thing.
:icondecadentdeath:
decadentdeath Featured By Owner Aug 3, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm more of a 70's rock kind of person tbh 
:iconsyrrose:
SyrRose Featured By Owner Aug 2, 2020
Tired of the pop genre ruining music. And metalcore artists looking for a more mainstream sound. It's crazy.
:iconsleinadflar:
SleinadFlar Featured By Owner Aug 2, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Seeing some of the responses in this thread, I think you're right.
:iconw-puppy:
w-puppy Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020  New Deviant
rock and roll is fucken dead, get w the times and listen to some SKRILLEX brother!!
:iconsyrrose:
SyrRose Featured By Owner Aug 2, 2020
Rock and roll isn't quite dead. Go listen to Palaye Royale! :)
:iconsmithnikovat:
Smithnikovat Featured By Owner Edited Aug 1, 2020  New Deviant
media.tenor.com/images/d15d0f8…

The day I willingly listen to dubstep is the day my wife is instructed to take me out to the woods with a shotgun in hand to put me down, as I've obviously experienced irreversible brain damage. 
dubstep is the new hotness my man.
Smithnikovat Featured By Owner Aug 2, 2020  New Deviant
I'm well past the age in my life where I give a pair of kangaroo testicles what's hot or not.
:iconleadbirdie:
leadbirdie Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020
Moreover, no one sings romances or dances the charleston in clubs. Even the twist is forgotten. Oh my...
:iconthatwaslefthanded:
ThatWasLeftHanded Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Hobbyist
Check out Eskimo Callboy, Crown the Empire, and Palisades.
:iconliterallybeanie:
Literallybeanie Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020
Heheh for one thing most of those bands are not heavy metal there rock. Heavy metal is stuff like white zombie, slipnokt, sabaton, and more with an actual heavy beat.
:iconrobstrand:
RobStrand Featured By Owner Aug 4, 2020
I can tell you as an undisputed fact that all of them are in the genra of heavy metal.
:iconthe-power-driller:
The-Power-Driller Featured By Owner Aug 2, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
Slipknot is more metalcore than anything.
Smithnikovat Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020  New Deviant
Maiden, Megadeth, and Metallica aren't metal? 

OOOOoooooookay....
Literallybeanie Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020
There rock, there’s a big difference
hmm its almost like metal is an extremely varied genre and each of the OP's bands AND your bands fall under one or more of its seven thousand subgenres. 
The only problem with that logic is how rock and metal are two different things. Rock has an up beat and tense instrumental. While metal has a strong beat and intense instrumental. Metallica for example is Rock because it has an up beat which means it’s a little more of a beat than different music while also not being too strong like Metal.
ok, again.. metal has a VERY broad definition. norwegian black metal sounds extremely distinct from speed metal which sounds quite different from doom metal. compare Type O Negative to early Darkthrone. almost no similarity, but they're both metal.
:iconshirokabocha56:
shirokabocha56 Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020
Yeah, I hate Master of Puppets and And Justice For All because they lack a strong beat and intense instrumentals. Sorry dude but I'm starting to think you've never actually listened to Metallica.
shirokabocha56 Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020
Look up the documentary, "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey (2005) directed by Sam Dunn. He goes through the history of metal and all of its varied sub-genres. The bands you mention are there but they are only a small part of the big picture.
What I’m stating is from what the OP stated these bands and how they aren’t Metal, but just Rock itself and how both Metal and Rock two different genres.
Not sure how long you've been a metal fan but I've been one since the early 80s and the bands that you call metal weren't around then. What I'm saying is that if you've seen that documentary, you would know not to limit what is and what isn't metal because the world of metal is wide and varied. Now if he had mentioned bands like Led Zeppelin or Van Halen, I would agree that they are just rock bands but Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth are metal to the core and paved the way for those bands.
Oof, just realized Queensryche is in the OP- yeah, that's not metal.
Operation: Mindcrime, The Warning and the Queensrÿche EP aren't metal?
shirokabocha56 Featured By Owner Aug 2, 2020
The EP rocked pretty hard but it seemed like they moved farther from metal, in my opinion, after Silent Lucidity became so popular. Hard rock with a tinge of metal- good band.
That's true! The later work is hardly metal anymore.
(1 Reply)
shirokabocha56 Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020
I'm an old school 80s metal fan myself and I think the main reason people don't remember the good metal bands of that era is because of the crappy glam metal bands that came out after the British invasion. People began to believe that glam was representative of the metal genre and the whole scene suffered from it.
:iconjcoolarts:
JCoolArts Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020
I figured it was more of a 2010 die out.
:iconfizzymus:
Fizzymus Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020
Nah, I feel like I'm spoilt for choice now.  Just need to know where to look.

Napalm Records and Nuclear Blast are the distributors with all the best stuff.  There's also Scarlet Records, AFM, Metal Blade, Roadrunner Records and TrollZorn to name a few.

Sure, maybe things suck Stateside, but festivals like Wacken keep the metal going here.
:iconinvisiblesniper:
InvisibleSniper Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Student Writer
Music in general went to shit
:iconrisamei:
risamei Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Student Digital Artist
okay boomer.

lol jokes aside I think thats just a symptom of perhaps the style changing and evolving I dont think new music has gotten worse.
:iconinvisiblesniper:
InvisibleSniper Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Student Writer
Don't call me boomer ever again
:iconhertz0:
Hertz0 Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020
^ boomer
:iconrisamei:
risamei Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Student Digital Artist
gif
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020
some of those are still ongoing, but age does have a bit of a factor, can't make music if you're really old/dead.  there are complications to that.  but music has been failing for a good long time now, history listening wise, took place in the late 90s, been getting worse every since.
:iconmrgreen36:
Mrgreen36 Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Music in general has gone to shit since the turn of the millennium. The fact that the most popular band in the world at the moment is BTS speaks volumes
Add a Comment: