Am I the a-hole here?

Hey complaint section! 
Can you tell me if I'm the a-hole here or if I'm in the wrong?

I'm a dweeb who likes my little pony and, like so many, I thought I'd make a new species and since I wanted to involve some light storyline I decided to make it a closed species. That way I can keep a handle on how the storyline evolves. 
Some bro comments that anyone can make my species if they want and there's nothing I can legally do about it. 
I explained that's what off brands are and told them their comment was unproductive. 
They replied I'm selfish for making a closed species. 
I decided to hide all comments and put a note statin comment chain was deleted due to rude commenting. 
He made another comment srating something along the lines of me being a child for deleting comments instead of admitting I was wrong. 

Wrong how???? For creating something, wanting to keep a mild storyline and therefore wanting to be able to keep an eye on what adoptables were released when???

I know how some people feel about closed species but it's not like I'm just selling a base for adoptables that will all be the same. I want to have an evolving storyline with my species.  If everyone could make one then the storyline might get screwed up in ways I'm not anticipating and in ways I might not be able to recover the storyline from. 

Am I the a-hole for deleting the comments? 

Does deviantart etiquette state that comments can't be deleted? If that's the case why even have a delete button on the comments?

Thanks for your 2 cents!
Comments118
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I think the whole thing is petty. The whole thing was unnecessary. You could've blocked them from the start and avoided making this long paragraph. However, I do not think they were in the right for calling you slurs and insults. Just block them so they can't comment lol
I don’t really understand what “closed species” is.
What I do know though is that most, if not all, the different species featured in MLP are originally from actual centuries old mythology so they don’t really own the species. They’re public domain.

You have no idea how many times I’ve actually had to explain to people that Unicorns, Pegasi and Alicorns were all a thing WAY before MLP even existed.
(I like mythology and mythical creatures so that’s how I knew about them.)
You're good. Don't worry about it. They're just being an ass.
Well both of you are aholes. (I hate closed spiecies.)
On one hand, you're attempting to profit from a popular franchise, which is by definition copyright infringement

On the other, that bitch was a twat
Yes this is an ass move you can still make the species and keep the storyline it doesn't have to be a closed species.This is so unnecessary since you are not making anything from scratch. I don't know why people think that they can't make an AU with regular oc's. 
No, you're good. It sounds like a case of people going out of their way to be pricks because they don't like "closed species", that label already has a stigma. if I were you id stay away from using that term and try painting it as you just don't want people to copy your ideas. And mlp being copyrighted by Hasbro doesn’t really matter because if you’re making a Narrative or the fan-story, that counts as being transformative, I don’t know what people are talking about~
Meet the Soda Ponies! by equinepalette

Would this be okay though?
being a broney is a mental illness
nice needless toxicity 

3717cf07-e42a-440e-b625-bb338463c437 by Killgara  
Don't act like the Brony craze wasn't the cringyest thing on the internet.
I mean, I could definitely say it was pretty “cringe” but I don’t believe that’s a good reason for people to be toxic to them for that. Creativity is creativity, people shouldn’t be shunned for being creative. And saying it’s a mental illness is pretty unnecessary and it’s just being a prick for no reason. But that’s just me...

They went from zero to a hundred real quick. It started with, hey check out this reboot of My Little Pony, decent animation, good characters, good writing. Then just 2 weeks later you see posts online of people turning there plush toys into fleshlights.

uhhhh, I mean, that's just typical internet expectations lol, people did the same to fnaf, undertale, cuphead, ect.

lmfao a "closed species" for a trademarked tv show???  y'all are off your shits i stg 
So let me get this straight. You are creating a fan created new species from a trademarked show then closing off anyone else from creating/using that species because you want to control the background even though you technically don't own it in the first place because it's source is trademarked by Hasbro.
To me it seems more like someone wanting to create a AU story and someone else trying to troll them or give them shit for using the term “Close species”, which to me, seems like it miss represents their motive behind their art. they should just say they don’t want someone copying their ideas without being transformative, and just like most the brony fandom, most of their work is transformative from the the show.
Sounds like George Lucas.
It only becomes a problem when you go as far as making another Dolly the sheep. Clones or creation of new species in real life should not be done unless you want to face the consequences of nature.
As long as its not closed species Im fine with that
You have 100% the right to create your own art and to use it how you want. You draw a piece of art, it doesn't make anyone else entitled to it. Nothing wrong with creating closed species. People who complain about closed species are just jealous/greedy because it's something they can not have. 

As for someone else being able to re-draw/re-create and make the species themselves, that is where it gets super complicated. Laws can protect you over the art you make but a lot more difficult on species design I believe. 

If you make a closed species, it's good to have some sort of record of all the created characters so that you can know which are the official designs and which are copy cat designs.