July 31
Link

Statistics

Replies: 117

Am I the a-hole here?

:iconthemightysephiroth:
TheMightySephiroth Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020   General Artist
Hey complaint section! 
Can you tell me if I'm the a-hole here or if I'm in the wrong?

I'm a dweeb who likes my little pony and, like so many, I thought I'd make a new species and since I wanted to involve some light storyline I decided to make it a closed species. That way I can keep a handle on how the storyline evolves. 
Some bro comments that anyone can make my species if they want and there's nothing I can legally do about it. 
I explained that's what off brands are and told them their comment was unproductive. 
They replied I'm selfish for making a closed species. 
I decided to hide all comments and put a note statin comment chain was deleted due to rude commenting. 
He made another comment srating something along the lines of me being a child for deleting comments instead of admitting I was wrong. 

Wrong how???? For creating something, wanting to keep a mild storyline and therefore wanting to be able to keep an eye on what adoptables were released when???

I know how some people feel about closed species but it's not like I'm just selling a base for adoptables that will all be the same. I want to have an evolving storyline with my species.  If everyone could make one then the storyline might get screwed up in ways I'm not anticipating and in ways I might not be able to recover the storyline from. 

Am I the a-hole for deleting the comments? 

Does deviantart etiquette state that comments can't be deleted? If that's the case why even have a delete button on the comments?

Thanks for your 2 cents!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontsunamiiyt:
TsunamiiYT Featured By Owner Aug 19, 2020  Hobbyist Filmographer
I think the whole thing is petty. The whole thing was unnecessary. You could've blocked them from the start and avoided making this long paragraph. However, I do not think they were in the right for calling you slurs and insults. Just block them so they can't comment lol
:iconmirria1:
Mirria1 Featured By Owner Edited Aug 10, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don’t really understand what “closed species” is.
What I do know though is that most, if not all, the different species featured in MLP are originally from actual centuries old mythology so they don’t really own the species. They’re public domain.

You have no idea how many times I’ve actually had to explain to people that Unicorns, Pegasi and Alicorns were all a thing WAY before MLP even existed.
(I like mythology and mythical creatures so that’s how I knew about them.)
:iconlibbysspecies:
LibbysSpecies Featured By Owner Aug 7, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You're good. Don't worry about it. They're just being an ass.
:iconinvisiblesniper:
InvisibleSniper Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2020  Student Writer
Well both of you are aholes. (I hate closed spiecies.)
:icondrifterjellybean:
DrifterJellybean Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
On one hand, you're attempting to profit from a popular franchise, which is by definition copyright infringement

On the other, that bitch was a twat
:icondqube:
dqube Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yes this is an ass move you can still make the species and keep the storyline it doesn't have to be a closed species.This is so unnecessary since you are not making anything from scratch. I don't know why people think that they can't make an AU with regular oc's. 
:iconkillgara:
Killgara Featured By Owner Edited Aug 6, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
No, you're good. It sounds like a case of people going out of their way to be pricks because they don't like "closed species", that label already has a stigma. if I were you id stay away from using that term and try painting it as you just don't want people to copy your ideas. And mlp being copyrighted by Hasbro doesn’t really matter because if you’re making a Narrative or the fan-story, that counts as being transformative, I don’t know what people are talking about~
:icon0iorn0:
0iorn0 Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2020
Meet the Soda Ponies! by equinepalette

Would this be okay though?
:iconw-puppy:
w-puppy Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2020  New Deviant
being a broney is a mental illness
nice needless toxicity 

3717cf07-e42a-440e-b625-bb338463c437 by Killgara  
:iconrobstrand:
RobStrand Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2020
Don't act like the Brony craze wasn't the cringyest thing on the internet.
Killgara Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
I mean, I could definitely say it was pretty “cringe” but I don’t believe that’s a good reason for people to be toxic to them for that. Creativity is creativity, people shouldn’t be shunned for being creative. And saying it’s a mental illness is pretty unnecessary and it’s just being a prick for no reason. But that’s just me...
RobStrand Featured By Owner Aug 7, 2020
They went from zero to a hundred real quick. It started with, hey check out this reboot of My Little Pony, decent animation, good characters, good writing. Then just 2 weeks later you see posts online of people turning there plush toys into fleshlights.
Killgara Featured By Owner Aug 7, 2020  Hobbyist Artist
uhhhh, I mean, that's just typical internet expectations lol, people did the same to fnaf, undertale, cuphead, ect.
:icondecadentdeath:
decadentdeath Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
 lmfao a "closed species" for a trademarked tv show???  y'all are off your shits i stg 
RobStrand Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2020
So let me get this straight. You are creating a fan created new species from a trademarked show then closing off anyone else from creating/using that species because you want to control the background even though you technically don't own it in the first place because it's source is trademarked by Hasbro.
To me it seems more like someone wanting to create a AU story and someone else trying to troll them or give them shit for using the term “Close species”, which to me, seems like it miss represents their motive behind their art. they should just say they don’t want someone copying their ideas without being transformative, and just like most the brony fandom, most of their work is transformative from the the show.
RobStrand Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2020
Sounds like George Lucas.
:iconshadow-xxii:
Shadow-XXII Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2020
kek
What? How?
Yes. 
:iconyangxiaofan457:
YangXiaoFan457 Featured By Owner Aug 2, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
It only becomes a problem when you go as far as making another Dolly the sheep. Clones or creation of new species in real life should not be done unless you want to face the consequences of nature.
:iconinvisiblesniper:
InvisibleSniper Featured By Owner Aug 2, 2020  Student Writer
As long as its not closed species Im fine with that
:iconshinigami-sadies:
Shinigami-Sadies Featured By Owner Aug 2, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You have 100% the right to create your own art and to use it how you want. You draw a piece of art, it doesn't make anyone else entitled to it. Nothing wrong with creating closed species. People who complain about closed species are just jealous/greedy because it's something they can not have. 

As for someone else being able to re-draw/re-create and make the species themselves, that is where it gets super complicated. Laws can protect you over the art you make but a lot more difficult on species design I believe. 

If you make a closed species, it's good to have some sort of record of all the created characters so that you can know which are the official designs and which are copy cat designs.
w-puppy Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020  New Deviant
in my opinion it is more respectable to be an a-hole than a dweeb, even if they do sell cute adopts.
:iconbi0terr0r:
BI0TERR0R Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
So do you just want people to tell you that you're right?
is this your first time on Complaints forum my dude
:iconbi0terr0r:
BI0TERR0R Featured By Owner Aug 2, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Nah. Yours?
:iconscorbuniis:
Scorbuniis Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020
I don't think so. You can create what you want and you're not limiting others who have similar ideas. The person just wanted to bring you down and you have every right to hide negativity.
:iconlizzychrome:
LizzyChrome Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Wtf is a "closed species?" Does that mean all remaining specimens have been spayed or neutered so there won't be any more breeding?
Mirria1 Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have no idea what it means either tbqh.
dont even try to comprehend these weird ass mlp subcultures
:iconsoftstatic:
SoftStatic Featured By Owner Aug 4, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
A closed species means that people can’t create characters of that species.

Y’all just refuse to understand that because ‘furry bad’ mmk
no it's cuz it's dumb
SoftStatic Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
That’s an opinion, not a fact.
imposing rules about making up dumbass animal characters is smooth brained as fuck
>Using smooth brain as an insult, lol I’m I on reddit?

but for real, kind stranger, I don’t feel like people should limit their creativity because it could be considered a “Dumb ass animal character” and can seem repetitive or dare I say “cringe” to some people, is that really a problem if these rules and guidelines they make up for their own creative storytelling improves them as an artist in the long run? I mean I would understand this better if they were just making a close species as a steak for adoptable‘s, but they claim it’s for narrative purposes.

You seem like someone who doesn’t really care or like fandom art  or any of that, why are you even on DeviantArt? This isn’t the place for someone who likes cringe culture really. Go type some Pepe green text stories on 4chan or something~
w-puppy Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2020  New Deviant
the entire point of what I said was that it IS stupid for furries to "limit" their creativity by imposing these restrictions ie declaring "closed species" or whatever its called. why all the rules, its just animal people drawings
Yeah, I do also dislike close species, that’s why I feel like using that term is misrepresentating this person‘s problem and they probably should use a different term. That’s like if I broke my tail light and I told everyone that my gas tanks empty.
Tell that to the big companies who do the exact same thing please.
i don't know of any big companies who give a shit about 'closed species' or whatever the fuck you dipshits are talking about
nevermind, man. Explaining it won’t help you understand because apparently furry = bad.
thats been true since before you were born nerd
(1 Reply)
:iconrhiethreal:
Rhiethreal Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Imagine thinking you can trademark something you stole from another trademarked product.

It's ironic and A-hole-ish to try to rip off MLP then throw a tantrum when people do the same to you.

And yes, hiding comments when you lost an argument is considered a dick move, and that is everywhere, not just DA, especially if you try to get the last word in afterwards. Better solution is bowing out of the conversation, leaving it up, and removing the ability to comment on future deviantions.
I mean, I haven’t seen them say anything about trademarking, I think them using the term clothes species is probably misrepresented if they’re trying to do narrative work.

and I’m sure you know a fair-use is, kind of like Parody, doesn’t fan stories also fall under the same category since it’s transformative in nature? If they’re trying to make a transformative fan story to a show, if someone tries ripping off their own creative inputs it doesn’t that seem a little annoying? I think using the term close species is a bad idea because in this case it kind of just ignores The fact that it’s narrative and not intendedly made for making money. That’s kind of like saying every parody on YouTube should be took him down for copyright infringement on top of other people stealing the same jokes from the videos and claiming they made them. That’s with this sort of seems to me only in a different context. People who make jokes about games on YouTube don’t call it “ Closed humor”, which is why I don’t think they should’ve use that term here.

yeah I do understand why some people can consider deleting comments to be a dick move, but people have the right to do so, and we also don’t know the full context to the comments rather if the person was giving them constructive feedback or just downright insulting them. Like if someone was just blatantly insulting me and my comments, Hell yeah I would delete them, that’s just completely unhelpful, just like spammers.

sorry for the wall of text , I type way too much, I’m such a Wind-bag honestly qwq
SoftStatic Featured By Owner Aug 4, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
Never said trademark, imagine thinking they actually copyright claim shit

It’s their art, fan based or not.
Rhiethreal Featured By Owner Aug 4, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
No one is talking about reusing that person's art.   What they are talking about is trademarking.

They are saying if they drew a character from MLP, but put the horn on its nose instead of its head, and called it a rhinokorn, then they can state it is a "closed species," aka that they have a trademark on it, and that they can prevent anyone else from drawing a MLP character with a horn on its nose. That implication is just laughable. 

Again, no one is talking about reusing the exact image that person drew, which is what copyright would deal with. 
Mirria1 Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
People are dumb if they think they can copyright centuries old mythical creatures like unicorns, pegasi and alicorns.

It honestly baffles me to see how so many people are deluded to think they originated from MlP and think that the shows makers even owns them. :iconconfusedblackguyplz:

That’s like trying to say Disney owns that concept of mermaids. :rofl:
*sigh*, alright here we go..

Art is art no matter where it came from. You’re not allowed to use that person’s art or idea ESPECIALLY if they make money off of it. Just be a decent human being and don’t do it, not hard to not draw someone’s creation without permission.

This is deviantart btw, the person who threw the tantrum was probably a kid and wouldn’t use the art or species to its full potential. So what’s the use in defending them?
Rhiethreal Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
An idea is NOT the same thing as a tangible piece of art, period.
Add a Comment: