Closed to new replies
July 26
Link

Statistics

Replies: 37

Browsing social media is like drinking poison. [RANT]

:iconwashusama:
Washusama Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Student Photographer
Every time I visit sites like Reddit and Facebook that used to make me feel better I am confronted with negativity that makes me feel worse.

Everything has been politicized and turned into a political battleground, , no fandom has been spared , no subject untouched with the glib statement that [insert fandom/subject here] has always been political being directed at anyone who objects along with an implication/thinly veiled threat that they are part of the other faction, there is always someone there trying to turn anything into a political soapbox where they will loudly denounce large portions of the population with broad brushstrokes using the most vitriolic language imaginable.

And news coverage on social media is an absolute nightmare , every comment section is a literal screaming match where various factions hurl abuse at each other. 

I for one remember how things used to be and how civil things used to be compared to now, I am aware that it was not perfect, but it was never this bad, everyone had their own little corners of the internet they could go to where they could discuss any given topic without it becoming a political shitstorm.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmew-sumomo:
Mew-Sumomo Featured By Owner Jul 29, 2020  Professional General Artist
You pretty much summed up why I left Facebook recently. I completely feel you and I agree that it's never been this bad before. It's just a bastion of negativity and a horrible place to use as a news aggregate. I'm angry too, I spent a lot of time voicing my opinion and getting caught up in the opinions of others, but it never resulted in anything good or fulfilling. I focused my time I would've ordinarily spent on endless scrolling and getting caught up in yelling at people to apply for jobs and just landed a good offer, haha. At least with Reddit you have some more control over which subreddits and things you visit. For me it's mostly art, body mods, reality TV, career guidance and stuff. I like r/news and r/worldnews as aggregate news sources, but I'm usually wary about reading any of the comments.
Leave if you have to. Focus on self love. :)
:iconw-puppy:
w-puppy Featured By Owner Jul 28, 2020  New Deviant
drinking poison is fraking badass and cool..
:iconx7xdc:
x7xdc Featured By Owner Jul 28, 2020  New Deviant
yep, the internet has become flooded with normies and their topic of choice: politics.
:iconlizzychrome:
LizzyChrome Featured By Owner Jul 27, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
The sooner we get some sanity back into the White House, the sooner this will calm down.

In B4 "SNAKE-TONGUED LIBURSL JOO TRYIN TO TAKE MA GUNS!!!!!"
sanity? you aren't referring to biden, are you? lol
:iconlizzychrome:
LizzyChrome Featured By Owner Jul 28, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
What INsanity is he threatening us with?
:iconliterallybeanie:
Literallybeanie Featured By Owner Jul 27, 2020
No matter what you’re going to find a lot of shitty stuff online. And no matter social media will always talk about controversial topics that will make the site or app more and more toxic, but that’s up to you to decided where you should spend your time on and what not to get into. No matter what site you’re on controversial topics will not be the majority of the site. You have to go out and explore your sites to find what your looking for.
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
you're not following the right things then. 
:iconeyeballearth:
EyeballEarth Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I was never big on social media either. Seems like they're good for creating bubbles and distorting your world view, and they also make you way more visible to the world than it's healthy. I keep in touch with friends and family through phone and whatsApp, my account here is the closest to social media I have, but it's more about my art than just myself so it feels less than normal social media to me.
:iconcitrus-chickadee:
Citrus-Chickadee Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Quit drinking the stuff that's blatantly labeled as poison then?

By which I mean, don't use sites that everyone knows are 99% garbage (reddit, 4chan, etc.), don't follow/friend people on other sites (facebook, dA, etc.) who post stuff that piss you off, and so on.

I mean, yeah, there absolutely is a bunch of garbage on most social media sites. But it's pretty easy to avoid if you know what you're doing. :shrug:
how did you go without mentioning twitter? lol you even mentioned 4chan, which is pretty irrelevant current day.
Citrus-Chickadee Featured By Owner Jul 28, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I mean, people still use 4chan, even if it's less than they used to. :B And twitter falls under the latter category of "you have to deliberately follow stupid people for it to be bad, but it's kind of okay if you can find the 3 (sane) people who post stuff you like."
:iconwolfworths15menkey:
wolfworths15menkey Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020
From what in know about 4chan and reddit there communities are mostly fine(aside for some questionable content) but cancel culture types interfere with said websites.        
Citrus-Chickadee Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Really? Because from what I've heard about 4chan, it has whatever the exact opposite problem of what "cancel culture" would be. :B
4chan has some questionable content and people there like to make fun of poltical correctness(as well as almost everything else) but there far from malicious, however 4chan users and cancel culture types seem to have a mutual loathing(if not hatred) of each other and act accordingly.
:iconsmithnikovat:
Smithnikovat Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  New Deviant
Terminally Ill Children in Sexually Suggestive Poses

That should tell you all you need to know about 4chan. 
Since a lot of good things have came out of 4chan(such as Katawa Shoujo ( a English-language visual novel which explores the subjects of disabilty, illness and past trauma in a respectful and compassionate way), LOLcats, SCP Foundation , funny stories like Old Man Henderson and more. Also the pedo stuff mostly died down do to users reporting such things to police, 4chan users have strange standards but they still have standreds(for example speaking ill of Fred Rogers is a ban-able offence on 4chan and reporting criminal activity to police is stranded over there).
:iconliterallybeanie:
Literallybeanie Featured By Owner Jul 27, 2020
Just because good stuff come out of a site doesn’t make the site good in anyway shape or form. People create the good or bad on the site. And a lot bad happens on that site compared to most well known sites on the internet.
wolfworths15menkey Featured By Owner Jul 27, 2020
I am basically saying that the unambiguously bad stuff isn't most of the content(or even most of what spreads from 4chan) and that aside from being politically incorrect(which considering where politically correctness got us, it isn't a bad thing to be politically incorrect) and NSFW(which is already accepted on DA anyway) there content isn't that different from the rest of the internet. Also the really toxic and twisted stuff usual ends up in echo chambers that are easy to avoid, the big exceptions being criminal activity, harassment and speaking ill of certain individuals(mainly Fred Rogers) which isn't allowed to begin with . Its not a perfect system but its far from a bad website, let me put it this way nearly every website has its toxic people and throwing out the baby with the bath water is a bad idea.
(1 Reply)
:iconfaeorain:
faeorain Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Student Traditional Artist
Isn't it something? They make sure to let us know how terrible things are on a daily basis now, yet were were allegedly clueless as to how terrible things were ( or were not ) before the last 5-6 years or so. Seems more to me like it was not that bad then and that it's only worse now because certain people are choosing to make it this way.
:iconthecunningcondor:
TheCunningCondor Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Hence why i dont do social media. Im bitter enough already
:iconkistunekun314:
KistuneKun314 Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Student Digital Artist
I hear ya. I abandoned Facebook a long time ago. It was the best choice I ever made.
:iconkaizenkitty:
KaizenKitty Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Professional Writer
oh yes i agree.
can i share your art here?
it feels so peaceful and calming uwu emoji
Untitled
Pink Hibiscus Flower
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020
appears you just described a slow/calm day on the politics forum.  but, in retrospect, everything in life is about politics and choosing sides, this isn't anything new.  people just couldn't handle the outcome of life and take it out on themselves and each other.  ignoring is actually fairly easy, just don't read.  you choose to read/engage or not.  as for hearing it, stop listening.  also not that complicated.  can take longer to train oneself not to listen and/or have selective hearing, but it is possible.
:iconkistunekun314:
KistuneKun314 Featured By Owner Edited Jul 26, 2020  Student Digital Artist
I'm sorry but the "If you don't like it, then don't look at it," argument is pretty stupid when talking about sites like Facebook. It's hard to simply ignore these political posts on sites like Facebook when practically every other post has some political message. Also, the people who make these posts use inflammatory buzzwords such as Fascist and bigoted as a means to ensure that it's practically impossible to look away from their post. I understand that politics have their place in life, but what you see on sites like Facebook isn't even politics. It's just a bunch of people screaming at each other. 
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Jul 27, 2020
it's a trained trait. I didn't read most of that, but replying stating it's possible. you choose to read it, you choose to engage with it, or not. politics hasn't improved with time, it's gotten worse. the sooner you adapt it as white noise the better.
:iconsilhoettefleur:
SilhoetteFleur Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020
That about sums it up.

I tried it once, all I wanted was to know about new and upcoming technology, somehow it devolved into navigating social situations.

Social media concentrates that kind of anger for clicks and ad revenue and surprise surprise look what it's done to the people in meat space.

Whatever happened to just going online and non violently murdering each other in a Call of Duty game.
:iconcarmelkaa:
carmelkaa Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
If you don't like post, hide it. Most social media have option to not display some sort of content. 
If someone upsets you by talking about it too much, block them or in the very least restrict them so you don't see their posts. 

It is okay to talk about politics, but on the other hand, people take it too far and others just don't like to see it. 
Honestly, I was in similar place not so long ago, but on IG. Ended up restricting and/or blocking quite a lot of people, since I use the platform just to look at cute anime girls art and cosplays.

Really, there is nothing bad about choosing content you see and interact with.
:iconfaeorain:
faeorain Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Student Traditional Artist
I downloaded that social media fixer and it makes a small dent in it, but still a lot of it gets through by other means. There is just too much because it's all people talk about non-stop, which is a kind of illness in my opinion. They are obsessed. And don't even get me started on the mask nazi's who seek out people to file for their 15 minutes of social media clout. People " confronting " others with their cell phones day in and day out, it's come to a psychotic level now. Nobody can even speak to each other know without holding up a phone at them to record it.
:iconrobstrand:
RobStrand Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020
It drove my family apart. I was called out by my mother's side of the family as a racist Nazi nack in 2016. I had to quite doing Civil War and WWII reenacting because my two impressions was a artillery battery commander for the Confederacy, and my WWII impressions was the 17th Panzer.

Now I just do the US 32nd Infantry Division. I didn't portray them as the political extremes nore was it out of some supremacist bullshit, my impressions was of just a fighting man, his equipment, his rations, his daily life. There are no politics in foxholes. Just people struggling to make it out alive today. And that they never understood. Apparently I was teaching the wrong side of history.
:iconkaizenkitty:
KaizenKitty Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Professional Writer
:O oof. im sorry man.
:icontheabsintheart:
theabsintheart Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Yeah. It can be tiring if you're trying to unwind or just do stuff without getting involved in poltics. I think you can find groups that leave them out, or create a niche group without any of that, but it's more work.  I include politics with nsfw and gore for groups, if it's an account that falls heavily into those I don't add or mute for art accounts. (It's literally everywhere you go, so there's no need to worry about not hearing about it, might as well make yourself a feed where people just art or just learn and leave the ones with the politics somewhere else for when you are feeling like dealing with it.)

I try to avoid it extra cause I'll end up thinkng about it for ~2 hours or more if I see a particularly interestng post, which does nothing for the issue or myself, except bloat my journals with the various thought spools on political stances I have not concretely resolved a defensible personal position on.
:iconplatinumbeta:
PlatinumBeta Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
If I were you, I'd delete my social media accounts. Mostly for your privacy, then for your mental health. Keep just one or a few for your close friends only. You won't miss it.
But yeah, today's shitstorm is being more rampant and hateful, since the wealth gap, racial/sex/gender inequalities and trickle-down hatred is higher and more observable, angry mobs goes online to spit in others. Anonymity also helps - everyone is bold behind a nickname and can think better while the "submit" button isn't pushed.
:iconjphyper:
Jphyper Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020
This is nothing new. People have always harassed other people for expressing opinions. For example, take Elijah Lovejoy. He was a newspaper publisher who was murdered by an angry mob for posting his opinion. This was in 1837.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elijah_P…

So yeah, it's always been like that. However, it should also be noted that many of his supporters actually disagreed with the opinions he expressed; they were on his side because of freedom of speech and freedom of the press.
:iconxianghua:
Xianghua Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I suppose you can choose what content appear in your social media page, especially Facebook, 

though since 2019 I have started to unfollow and even block people for spreading politically sensitive post.

It can grow rather toxic but you can moderate it.
Add a Comment: